Doolally

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
also still waiting for cams to be ordered

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Won't work on tower unless you go with hp
I think the older Dells running the i5 45X0's had the option of a mid tower case which had space for a couple of 3.5" drives and then Velcro in an SSD for the OS (they had 3 SATA ports including the one being used for the DVD). I don't think any of the newer generation of Dell's come with that bigger case.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the older Dells running the i5 45X0's had the option of a mid tower case which had space for a couple of 3.5" drives and then Velcro in an SSD for the OS (they had 3 SATA ports including the one being used for the DVD). I don't think any of the newer generation of Dell's come with that bigger case.
Correct..

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Dell 3040 SFF 8G i5-6500 and a WD Purple for recording. I need to swap out the existing 2.5" 500G SATA drive for the 3.5" Purple and was contemplating my SSD options for the OS drive. For those of you adding SSDs to SFF cases, are you repurposing the SATA port for the DVD drive and installing a 2.5" SSD (velcro option?), or are you going the route of a M.2 in a PCIe slot, or something else?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Dell 3040 SFF 8G i5-6500 and a WD Purple for recording. I need to swap out the existing 2.5" 500G SATA drive for the 3.5" Purple and was contemplating my SSD options for the OS drive. For those of you adding SSDs to SFF cases, are you repurposing the SATA port for the DVD drive and installing a 2.5" SSD (velcro option?), or are you going the route of a M.2 in a PCIe slot, or something else?
Some have the 5040 or 7040 that include the m.2 slot....

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
20170314_195909.jpg 20170314_195816.jpg 20170314_195716.jpg 20170314_195654.jpg
With mine, I took out the DVD drive, you need it's SATA port anyways, then put the SSD in the DVD space. And HD on top.

Doolally

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
of course Fenderman just asking that's all

LandofTomorrow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
anyone with the 3040 is it true about the ram and some 8gb sticks not working >?

Adding memory to optiplex 3040 SFF - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community
Interesting, sounds like you have to use lower voltage RAM. Personally what I do for any computer before i buy is go to crucial's site, use the search for the computer i want to add ram, to find compatible RAM and then copy the specs or sometimes the very model number and then search with that on ebay. I have seen some Dell PCs being a little picky before. Also (not for you as you seem savvy on computers but for anyone else), try to exactly match the RAM manufacturer and model that exists on the Dell PC you got or replace both sticks. Mixing and matching even when it looks like the specs are similar gets me into more problem.

I am looking for a good (and cheap :) ) PC for BI too. Maybe memorial time is when wel see more deals.

Doolally

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting, sounds like you have to use lower voltage RAM. Personally what I do for any computer before i buy is go to crucial's site, use the search for the computer i want to add ram, to find compatible RAM and then copy the specs or sometimes the very model number and then search with that on ebay. I have seen some Dell PCs being a little picky before. Also (not for you as you seem savvy on computers but for anyone else), try to exactly match the RAM manufacturer and model that exists on the Dell PC you got or replace both sticks. Mixing and matching even when it looks like the specs are similar gets me into more problem.

I am looking for a good (and cheap :) ) PC for BI too. Maybe memorial time is when wel see more deals.
Nice one Land

Doolally

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Computer arrived damn it is quiet as a mouse now to upgrade to SSD for the OS and order 16GB of RAM :) Came with a keyboard mouse and Windows 10 PRO preloaded :)

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Computer arrived damn it is quiet as a mouse now to upgrade to SSD for the OS and order 16GB of RAM :) Came with a keyboard mouse and Windows 10 PRO preloaded :)
I'd say hold off on the RAM until everything is setup. I'm running 6 x 3MP and 4 x 640x480 cameras and BI is using 2.275GB.

Doolally

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd say hold off on the RAM until everything is setup. I'm running 6 x 3MP and 4 x 640x480 cameras and BI is using 2.275GB.
Preciate it Essjay just wait and see how it performs then perfect will confirm once I have cams delivered thanks for the heads up

Doolally

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman I have an old G5 DL 380 HP Xeon machine that may be repurposed is that overkill or would it be better than the 3040 I just purchased, it was was my original file server but have a new one now.
thanks
Doo