New DVR and POE cameras - advice needed!

Aajjoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

Earlier this year I got some cheap CCTV kit from Aliexpress for my summer house. The cameras are good (picture quality), recording when I want it to and i´m getting emails with snapshots everytime movement is detected etc etc. So far so good!
This is what I have (link): Onvif 1080P 8CH HD NVR KIT real POE SWITCH 48V 2MP 4pc POE module IP 42pcs IR 2.8 12mm Zoom lens Camera Waterproof P2P cctv kit-in Surveillance System from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The bad stuff with this is the lack of versatility when it comes to motion detection, as there´s a lot of snow, cold weather, rain and bugs etc there where they are located. This becomes a major problem when the motion detection features are basic at best. They either detect everything or nothing.

So, learning the hard way what I should have looked for when doing my research before buying the above, I´ve now decided to get a new dvr and cameras that suits my needs :)

I´ve been looking at Dahua and Hikvision because as far as I understand, they both offer the smart detection features such as line crossing and intrusion detection and now I need some advice on what to get.
POE is a must as all the cables are in place (which was a lot of work getting them there). I need 4 outdoor cameras in total, at least 1 (perhaps 2) of them with ptz (with auto tracking), and the rest bullet cameras (preferably motorized varifocal). All wall mounted.
The dvr should have 8 POE ports as the idea is to place four more cameras inside the house sometime in the future. Perhaps the one I have can be used just for recording?

Remember, features as intrusion detection and line crossing (trip wire) is a must to keep false positiv4es at a minimum. And of course, I want to keep the cost of this at a minimum (don't we all!? :) ).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Aajjoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Been looking at ipc-hdw5231r-z but haven’t been able to locate any info on whether it shows the temperature or not. Can anyone confirm or deny if it does?
Thanks!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Been looking at ipc-hdw5231r-z but haven’t been able to locate any info on whether it shows the temperature or not. Can anyone confirm or deny if it does?
Thanks!

No, but the temp you are referring to would be the internal temp of the cam, not the weather.

Aajjoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, but the temp you are referring to would be the internal temp of the cam, not the weather.
Ahhhaaa...well, then it doesn’t matter anyway because that’s pretty uninteresting

Thanks!

Aajjoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ve been looking at ipc-hdw5231r-ze apart from the above. As far as I understand, this has an wider angle, correct? As all my cameras are- and will overlook quite large areas, I would benefit from this.

Any other pros or cons speaking for this camera compared to the other?
The most important is to be able to use multiple IVS features on each camera.

Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve been looking at ipc-hdw5231r-ze apart from the above. As far as I understand, this has an wider angle, correct? As all my cameras are- and will overlook quite large areas, I would benefit from this.

Thanks!

ipc-hdw5231r-ze is a varifocal camera - allowing you to adjust the FOV / width and zoom / magnification as needed for your setup.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Thanks!

Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

Aajjoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @looney2ns
I’ll order these, along with wall brackets and a NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2 from @EMPIRETECANDY after the holidays.

Hopefully these will work better for me than the cheap Misecu junk I bought earlier this year.
I look so much forward to not receiving thousands of emails with snowflake snapshots each night! :)

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

Aajjoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@looney2ns I thought of something you might be able to answer.
Since the ZE model has its ir’s located in the middle, above and below the optics, would you say that the night vision field is more narrow as opposed to the Z (whose ir’s are located on each side)?

Thanks in advance!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score