New & Frustrated

IH09

n3wb
Reaction score
I had cameras installed in new construction in 2016. My plate was full so I trusted the person that recommended/installed/etc... I am not saying they did nothing wrong though. However, I feel the quality of picture I’m getting and the functionality is lacking. Mostly the quality of picture and the motion detection/alarm output/snapshot/email is what I’m mainly disappointed with.

I have a Truvision NVR 10S NVR and Truvision TVW-3101 cameras. Does anyone have experience with these? The company is no help, they refer me to the installer.

Thanks.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, that camera’s specifications appear to me to state that they are IP/PoE cameras, so it should be relatively easy to replace them as the cable runs are already in place. You’re probably not going to be able to improve the images these cameras generate much. Probably best to start reading the Wiki and figure out precisely what you want to accomplish.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Specs for Truvision TVW-3101

• 1.3 Megapixel resolution
  • Designed to PSIA and ONVIF open standards
  • H.264 compression technology with dual-streaming capability accommodates multiple settings
  • IR Distance of 10m (33ft.)
  • 2.8 Fixed Lens
  • Digital WDR
  • Motion Detection / Privacy Masking / Digital Noise Reduction
  • Built-in Micro SD card slot (64GB max.)
  • Included TruVision Device Finder program provides fast and easy access to newly added system devices
  • IP66 and IK08 rated for Weather and Vandal Resistance
  • 12VDC / PoE (Power over Ethernet)

imho maybe useful to consider upgrading to newer model cameras when you have the opportunity.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Truvision TVW-3101 cameras
This looks like a re-brand of the Hikvision DS-2CD2512 camera, with a slightly different case.
And the firmware looks like Hikvision too.

It's a neat little camera, but not really suitable for outdoor use with the low resolution and the very weak IR due to the small number of IR LEDs.

Mostly the quality of picture and the motion detection/alarm output/snapshot/email is what I’m mainly disappointed with.
I'd guess that much of this would be due to what would now be viewed as a low resolution sensor with poor low-light capabilities.
But the motion detection / line crossing detection / intrusion detection should still be OK, it's one area Hikvision do quite well.
Unless TruVision have a brain-damaged version of the Hikvision firmware on the cameras.

It may be possible to flash the Hikvision firmware on it as an experiment.

But as @mat200 suggested - you have the infrastructure in place to easily swap out what's been installed.

IH09

n3wb
Reaction score
So theoretically I could upgrade cameras one at a time and keep the NVRs?

Does anyone have experience with this or a similar NVR?

I honestly wish I would’ve gone with a system from sams, they seem like better quality and ease of use! I changed my wireless router once and the installer had to come to my house and redo all the camera settings and he had to do it again when Truvision upgraded their TVR app. Pain in the butt.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMO @IH09, best results -- with the smallest measure of aggravation -- would be for you to start from scratch with new cameras and a new NVR and hope that the cable infrastructure is healthy.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I honestly wish I would’ve gone with a system from sams, they seem like better quality and ease of use! I changed my wireless router once and the installer had to come to my house and redo all the camera settings and he had to do it again when Truvision upgraded their TVR app. Pain in the butt.
A system from Sams or the like is not a better solution. Study this> cliff notes
Most likely, if you want to continue to use your NVR you will want to stick with Hikvision cams so they are compatible.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan

If you want quality, plan to start over.

Think about starting with either an NVR or a VMS( blue iris). If going with an NVR, get the same manufacture for the NVR as for your cameras, keep it simple.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Hi @IH09

IT work - often gets to be a bit of a PITA, just the nature of things.

SAMs - in general, do be cautious with regards to any kits which are sold - some maybe worse quality than what you already have even though they list better resolutions. ( the quality of your cameras should be good - just lower resolution than what I would recommend as a minimum today to someone )

You will need to allocate time to DIY learning and playing around. No real way to get around that unless you decide to outsource to some sort of management company.

Once you've picked up the knowledge - and have setup a good stable system - the steady state will be a very reliable setup with only a little bit of work to keep an eye on your alerts and the like.

NVRs typically have a rating which you can check on and see what cameras they maybe compatible with.

At this time, I would start to plan out what you want your system to do and list that out.

This will help you determine what sort of cameras / quality of cameras you may want installed.

Also, IF you decide to go Blue Iris + an external POE switch you can still use the cameras you have - so you can re-deploy them to locations which make more sense.

As those cameras are lower resolution and wide FOV they work better in cases where the suspect will be right in front of the camera.

As they are dome cameras - I like to keep them out of direct UV exposure as much as possible, and due to IR reflection issues w/the domes - I like to use them in locations where I can keep the IR leds off, so a lighted covered porch works well for me with similar 1080P cameras from Dahua.

IH09

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. This was a pretty expensive setup, so I don’t think I’ll replace the whole thing at this point.

I’ve been slowly reading through the cliff notes and the wiki.

My only remaining question right now is am I limited to the Truvision phone app to view the cameras since it’s a Truvision NVR or could I use something different?

ptzman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had cameras installed in new construction in 2016. My plate was full so I trusted the person that recommended/installed/etc... I am not saying they did nothing wrong though. However, I feel the quality of picture I’m getting and the functionality is lacking. Mostly the quality of picture and the motion detection/alarm output/snapshot/email is what I’m mainly disappointed with.

I have a Truvision NVR 10S NVR and Truvision TVW-3101 cameras. Does anyone have experience with these? The company is no help, they refer me to the installer.

Thanks.

ptzman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All of my equipment is Truvision/Interlogix. The NVR's don't work well with other brand cameras. I have the TVW-3101, 02, and 30 cameras as well as other models. What are the video parameters (settings) of your camera? As you may know this company is out of business as of 12/31/2019.