New Member Looking for some Advice

eric90000

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I had a few questions if someone could potentially lend a hand? I came across this website while researching IP cameras and I'm really glad I did! Seems like a wealth of information and expertise. I've been delving into the wiki and other pages while trying to get my head around all of this. I bought my first house recently and am looking to install a basic/upgrade-able surveilance camera setup.

Here's what I'm leaning towards so far, any guidance would be great:

Computer: Using old gaming PC (i5 4770k, NVidia GTX760, 8GB Ram)
Software: BlueIris 5
Switch: Netgear GS116PP - 16 Port Hub with 16 x PoE+ @ 183W
Exterior cameras x 4 (these will be soffit mounted): Reolink RLC 420 5MP (already bought 4 of these on an Amazon lightning sale....are these garbage? If there are better alternatives I can most likely sell them on and buy different ones)
Indoor cameras x 4: The Dahua cameras looks nice however any advice would be great.

I think I'm heading in the right direction, but as I said any info would be fantastic! Thanks guys

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Welcome to the land of video surveillance lunatics. Be sure to check the WiKI, in the blue bar at the top of the page. Study, carefully on a real computer, the Cliff Notes in there. There is also a lot of other good information for sizing a system and keeping it safe on the internet, foil the "phone home" features. Read, study plan, ask questions, revise plans and test before spending money. It'll save you time, frustration and money in the end. There's tons of reviews here on cameras, and NVRs to help confuse you even more when trying to make a decision.

If you want a good, actually good, system at a reasonable price check with Andy at Empire Tech/King Security. He deals with mostly Dahua but also has some Hikvision. Additionally, IPCT sells Hikvision and Amcrest. One more is Nelly's Security, also here on IPCT. You'll find most people here use Blue Iris on a stand alone PC rather than an NVR. WiFi, Reolink and Foscam, just to name a few, are "consumer grade" equipment and, in spite of their advertised claims, poor performers especially at night.

kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:
forum: EmpireTech Andy

My suggestion is to sell the Reolink cameras and buy some quality cameras, Dahua, Hivision, Loryata (rebranded Dahua). Whatever you buy, look at reviews here on IPCT for real performance data rather than the "performance data" contained in advertising. Best way to search the forum is use Google search using this format sit:ipcamtalk.com ???????? where the ??????? are the terms you're looking for.

Reaction score
Mounting cameras soffit height is probably too high to get a face ID.

Most folks will tell you the Reolink cameras will not give you the video that you need when something happens. I have never used them. Set up your PC with Blue Iris and plug in one of those cameras. Stick it outside close to one of the areas that you want a camera installed (see Cliff note for making a test rig). Walk that area with a ball cap on during the day and at night. Can you ID the face? Most bad actors move fairly quickly and do not look directly into the camera or stop with their face towards the camera. If at night, you will want cameras that give very good low light performance. I doubt your Reolinks will give you what you want.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
----------------------
read, study, plan before opening money.
Send the REOLINK back to amazon. they are junk, and cause nothing but problems.
That is a good start on the BI PC, I would up grade to 16 GB memory, get an SSD (120 GB) for windows 10 and the BI application. Get a WD purple drive to store the video, the bigger the better.
-----------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
17) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

eric90000

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Looks like I will get rid of the Reolink cameras and maybe look at something like the Dahua cameras from Empire Technology Co LTD on AliExpress.

Computer: upgrade ram to 16gb, already have SSD for BlueIris, will look into getting a WD Purple
Outdoor: IPC-T5442TM-AS (maybe 6 - 8 of them)
Indoor: IPC-K35A (approx 3 of them)

It's a dormer style home so soffits are only approx 8 feet from ground. Do I need to use the junction boxes to mount to soffit or can they go right on?

Would that be a fairly respected setup? Is it a good idea to mix camera types in a setup e.g. fixed lens turrets, varifocal bullets etc.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say it would depend on your soffet construction and if you don't mind a 3/4" hole behind the camera for the RJ connector to pass through. I have ninyl soffets and use a piece of 2x1/8 aluminum bar across the soffet to mount the camera to. I pull the soffet pieces and make a notch for the camera cable to go through. The RJ connector ends up inside the soffet, taped appropriately for weatherproofing. Either way, buy some Coax Seal and dielectric grease to make sure everything remains in good condition for a long time.

Reaction score
It's a dormer style home so soffits are only approx 8 feet from ground. Do I need to use the junction boxes to mount to soffit or can they go right on?

Would that be a fairly respected setup? Is it a good idea to mix camera types in a setup e.g. fixed lens turrets, varifocal bullets etc.
Eight feet is high. Again make a test rig and try out ONE camera. Walk the area and see if your face is recorded well enough for an ID.

I would not buy a bunch of cameras and then try and figure out where to put them. You should look at each position and pick the best camera possible for that position. Granted you might end up with all of the same cameras, but you won't know if that is the correct setup until you plan it out.

I bought one camera and tried it out in multiple places. This helped me figure out which cameras would work in which positions. I now have 19-20 cameras, nine different models. I am about to purchase three more with one of them a new model that I do not have.

eric90000

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again guys, all good information. I reckon I will do as you say and buy one varifocal camera in order to test and plan exactly the cams I need - would a IPC-T3241-ZAS or IPC-HDW5231R-ZE be best for this?

After some research here are the cameras I can choose from:

aristobrat recommendation

IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal (2.8-12mm lens, good for places that need more zoom)
IPC-T5442TM-AS 4MP Starlight+ (fixed lens, 2.8mm, 3.6mm, 6mm)

Andy recommendation

IPC-HDW5231R-ZE (best 2MP varifocal available)
IPC-T2231T-ZS (lite model)
IPC-T5442TM-AS (best 4MP fixed lens available, 2.8mm, 3.6mm, 6mm)

Indoor Cams
IPC-HDBW4431F-AS 4mp 3.6MM (edge cam)
IPC-K35A (3MP)

Reaction score
Computer: Using old gaming PC (i5 4770k, NVidia GTX760, 8GB Ram)
I'd remove the GTX760 unless your motherboard doesn't offer onboard graphics support. It will increase your power usage without providing a benefit for you with the proposed load. There are examples over at: Blue Iris Update Helper which indicate that CPU is capable of the load you describe if you are running the cameras at ~15 FPS.