New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Going to Hik or LaView FW will give you ONVIF, but not Google or Alexa native support. Right now only EZVIZ DBs have Google and Alexa.
For Alexa you can check out Monocle. I personally have no experience with it but several here do.
David, sorry to repeat myself again, I wrote it several times since I did the upgrade to latest Hikvision firmware: my Ezviz DB1 with Hikvision fw offers ONVIF, Alexa support works, Google Home suppor works too (tried it on nvidia shield tv pro 2019), etc.

Everything's working. The only thing you can't do is turning on/off the outdoor bell sound, that requires Ezviz fw.

I hope we are aligned now on this. :)

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
David, sorry to repeat myself again, I wrote it several times since I did the upgrade to latest Hikvision firmware: my Ezviz DB1 with Hikvision fw offers ONVIF, Alexa support works, Google Home suppor works too (tried it on nvidia shield tv pro 2019), etc.

Everything's working. The only thing you can't do is turning on/off the outdoor bell sound, that requires Ezviz fw.

I hope we are aligned now on this. :)
You have an EZVIZ DB.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
so to confirm: you did this going from EZVIZ branded camera to Hivision's latest 200321 [?] firmware and you get ONVIF + both assistants; or is there an even newer Hikvision firmware not posted int the 101?

I want to have the same functionality on an RCA branded camera currently on 190124, except for the warning about nelly's fw bricking I should be good to jump to hikvision 200321
Hikvision firmware v5.2.4 build 200321 (March 21, 2020)
(sha1: f9d5f9b62a3fe826968ecfe2c278313b48401c2d)

This is Alexa skill with DB1+Hikvision fw: New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera
This is Google Home with DB1+Hikvision fw: New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera
This is my Synology Surveillance Station (SSS) with DB1+Hikvision fw: ONVIF works perfectly.

1591955961474.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
RCA doesn't work on ezviz cloud? Does it work with EZVIZ mobile app?
Sorry, I thought it did, my bad. If it did, the upgrade would offer the same functionalities.

Did someone actually try RCA with Alexa ezviz skill?
So this is going to not sound right but the answer is yes to both. My LaView can connect to EZVIZ cloud too, actually I am connected right now, I never reregistered back to LaView since I am using EZVIZ App, guess kinda hoping one day Google will work. Though I did switch back FW for ONVIF support.
What many here have found trying to get Google and Alexa working on their RCA , Nelly's and even Google on LaView is no matter what firmware or what cloud they connect to it does not work. We can only figure EZVIZ has some kind of database check of serial #s when trying to use Google or Alexa. EZVIZ works out of the box with both of these as well as LaView works only with Alexa. Of course this is native support. I would love for this to be wrong but so far no one with a RCA or Nelly's has this support without a third party tool like Monocle for Alexa and I can confirm Alexa support on my LaView no matter which firmware I load, I have loaded EZVIZ, Nelly's and Hik. FW, which I get ONVIF on all three, of course, but no Google, only Alexa. Oh and I tried registered to both EZVIZ and LaView via their Apps.

Want to know the crazy part, RCA has an Alexa Skill but it does not work on their DB, maybe it only works on other RCA devices, don't know. Since we have a lot of new RCA users they can try their Skill out of the box (Term I use if no other FW has been loaded).

ALEXA SKILLS/TIPS:

⦁ To Display on Alexa; RTSP feed from Doorbell to Amazon Echo Show via/thru Monocle - Threads to Follow; Old Monocle Thread or New Monocle Thread - pete_c
Turn Off Doorbell's Image/Video Encryption
(LINK LaView to Alexa) - It Works!
(LINK EZVIZ to Alexa) - It Works! (Note: IFTTT works for Motion Detection Alerting via Email/SMS or to turn On/Off camera for the HSDB2A) - Pilot04
(LINK RCA to Alexa) - Does Not Work unless you use secondary software like Monocle or MotionEye
(LINK Monocle to Alexa)

I don't know if this will matter, maybe someone with a new RCA or Nelly's could load the EZVIZ firmware when they first get their DB (Before Registering), then register with EZVIZ via App, then try Google/Alexa, if this works then maybe there is not a serial # check just a first time register to get listed on their database, I don't know, just thinking out loud.

My Google account is still linked to EZVIZ but the LaView DB does not show up on the Google Home App nor is it recognized by my Google devices. Even tried to have the devices (Assistant Speaker) search for new devices, like you can with Alexa.

1591958413102.png

I can't wait for the day we can change this list to include other DBs with Google and or Alexa Support other than only EZVIZ and LaView. I even bought an EZVIZ DB (still in the box), just for future Google Support, though I am now leaning towards Alexa for our future Assistant since Google is cloud dependent I have been told/learned. I took advantage of last year's Christmas $89 sale. Was also thinking I could maybe move the LaView to the Backdoor too or sell it. But now that I bought a Back Yard CAM, scratch that idea. :)

FIRMWARE LIST (DOWNLOAD LINKS INCLUDED):
DOORBELL MODELPREVIOUS FIRMWARELATEST FIRMWAREONVIFALEXAGOOGLEOUTDOOR BELL SOUND (ON/OFF)
HIKVISION (DS-HD1)191017200321 (2020-03-31)YESNONO???
RCA (HSDB2A)180809 (????-??-??), 180703 (????-??-??)190124 (2019-01-30)NONONONO
EZVIZ (DB1)191211 (2020-01-05), 190708 (2019-07-21)200220 (2020-04-02) EU Firmware LinkNOYESYESYES
LAVIEW (LV-PDB1630-U)190103 (????-??-??)190716 (2019-07-29)YESYESNONO
NELLY'S (NSC-DB2)190122 (2019-03-04), 190412 (2019-??-??), 190625 (2019-06-25)&(2019-11-22)191216 (2019-12-16)YESNONONO
LTS (LTH-7132-WIFI)??????????????????

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
we had 2 rainy days, but today is beautiful, everything clear, the sun is doing its job without clouds. :)
Here the Heat Index has been close to 110, we are in the high 90s. So thankful for our pool. Took us 15 years to save for one. It is a must in this hot/humid environment. Fahrenheit :)

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So this is going to not sound right but the answer is yes to both. My LaView can connect to EZVIZ cloud too, actually I am connected right now, I never reregistered back to LaView since I am using EZVIZ App, guess kinda hoping one day Google will work. Though I did switch back FW for ONVIF support.
What many here have found trying to get Google and Alexa working on their RCA , Nelly's and even Google on LaView is no matter what firmware or what cloud they connect to it does not work. We can only figure EZVIZ has some kind of database check of serial #s when trying to use Google or Alexa. EZVIZ works out of the box with both of these as well as LaView works only with Alexa. Of course this is native support. I would love for this to be wrong but so far no one with a RCA or Nelly's has this support without a third party tool like Monocle for Alexa and I can confirm Alexa support on my LaView no matter which firmware I load, I have loaded EZVIZ, Nelly's and Hik. FW, which I get ONVIF on all three, of course, but no Google, only Alexa. Oh and I tried registered to both EZVIZ and LaView via their Apps.

Want to know the crazy part, RCA has an Alexa Skill but it does not work on their DB, maybe it only works on other RCA devices, don't know. Since we have a lot of new RCA users they can try their Skill out of the box (Term I use if no other FW has been loaded).

I don't know if this will matter, maybe someone with a new RCA or Nelly's could load the EZVIZ firmware when they first get their DB (Before Registering), then register with EZVIZ via App, then try Google/Alexa, if this works then maybe there is not a serial # check just a first time register to get listed on their database, I don't know, just thinking out loud.

My Google account is still linked to EZVIZ but the LaView DB does not show up on the Google Home App nor is it recognized by my Google devices. Even tried to have the devices (Assistant Speaker) search for new devices, like you can with Alexa.

I can't wait for the day we can change this list to include other DBs with Google and or Alexa Support other than only EZVIZ and LaView. I even bought an EZVIZ DB (still in the box), just for future Google Support, though I am now leaning towards Alexa for our future Assistant since Google is cloud dependent I have been told/learned. I took advantage of last year's Christmas $89 sale. Was also thinking I could maybe move the LaView to the Backdoor too or sell it. But now that I bought a Back Yard CAM, scratch that idea. :)
I have to apologize with you Dave, I didn't get this, so only DB1 with Hikvision fw offers the whole package. Now I got it. Thanks for clearing that out for me. :)

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here the Heat Index has been close to 110, we are in the high 90s. So thankful for our pool. Took us 15 years to save for one. It is a must in this hot/humid environment. Fahrenheit :)
My 2 little daughters took the first dive in our pool at the end of May. Water is a little bit cold, 22 C°. But in some days it was 23-24 C°, so they enjoyed it. Pool and the garden helped them a lot during the lockdown. Enjoy it Dave. :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have to apologize with you Dave, I didn't get this, so only DB1 with Hikvision fw offers the whole package. Now I got it. Thanks for clearing that out for me. :)
No apologies needed. It is very confusing, does not makes sense to any of us. My theory is in order to have your device on Google or Alexa it is a paid subscription, some companies pay some don't. I assume EZVIZ has a way to protect themselves from other rebrands of the same Hik. DB using these services, again I am fully speculating here. I don't even know if they have the database I mentioned, but they have some way to keep other rebrand DBs, even if they are running their firmware, off the Google/Alexa Cloud/Service. I don't understand how it works, hopefully someone will and get us a work around.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My 2 little daughters took the first dive in our pool at the end of May. Water is a little bit cold, 22 C°. But in some days it was 23-24 C°, so they enjoyed it. Pool and the garden helped them a lot during the lockdown. Enjoy it Dave. :)
So mowing the yard this morning, jumping in pool after :) Crazy but here being so hot we were swimming end of March, no pool heater either, but the water was 78 degrees F° so you slowly get in and only on sunny days :) Now our water is 90.

Take Care, oh and you are you family are still in our prayers...Actually your whole country too...

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So mowing the yard this morning, jumping in pool after :) Crazy but here being so hot we were swimming end of March, no pool heater either, but the water was 78 degrees F° so you slowly get in and only on sunny days :) Now our water is 90.

Take Care, oh and you are you family are still in our prayers...Actually your whole country too...
74 F° here. a little bit cold for them. they like playing in water for hours, you know. :)

90° there? Wow...it's too hot for me...I don't like it so hot...I like it fresh...not cold, but neither too hot. :)

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No apologies needed. It is very confusing, does not makes sense to any of us. My theory is in order to have your device on Google or Alexa it is a paid subscription, some companies pay some don't. I assume EZVIZ has a way to protect themselves from other rebrands of the same Hik. DB using these services, again I am fully speculating here. I don't even know if they have the database I mentioned, but they have some way to keep other rebrand DBs, even if they are running their firmware, off the Google/Alexa Cloud/Service. I don't understand how it works, hopefully someone will and get us a work around.
I think they know everything from these two values. So when the camera connects to the cloud, that info is passed, and they know the vendor, etc. so they can limit functionalities, etc.

1591971747027.png

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Thanks for your kind words and prayers. Things are getting better here, hope also in other countries. We'll come out of it. Stay safe and strong, for your dear ones.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Spring is back near Chicago. A nice sunny pleasant day here around 70 °F (21 ° C). Stay safe all.

Noticed that this is one of the friendliest forums that I have ever participated in. ;)
It's always the people that make the difference. And here there are a lot of really nice, friendly and smart people. :)