New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

shoulih

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an fyi, I have been running my RCA HSDB2 variant fine for ~1.5yrs now with (1) 24x7 recording to my Dahua NVR, (2) 24x7 RTSP streaming to my MotionEye rPi3 machine for viewing on all my wall mounted home automation tablets, (3) occasional TinyCam live view, (4) occasional gDMSS live view, (5) occasional Hik-Connect/Ezviz app remote viewing or video doorbell answering. I think I tested up to like 4-5 streams for brief periods before I see load issues on the doorbell so might be optimizing combination of Router/Wireless AP/transformer power/signal dB strength/etc.
Interesting. What firmware vendor and version you are using? I might want to give it a try if it is different from what I have (LAVIEW 190716 ).

Thanks for the information!

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting. What firmware vendor and version you are using? I might want to give it a try if it is different from what I have (LAVIEW 190716 ).

Thanks for the information!
I've been running Ezviz FW V5.2.4 build 191211 since beginning of this year but had tested on several FW versions(LaView/Hikvision/RCA) throughout 2019. More recent FW versions helped but also believe that optimized networking environment was more important in my mind.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Alex and David again for your help and I probably turn off the TinyCam recording of my RCA DB for now.
I remembered that TinyCam uses one stream for live view and the other for recording in its unique implementation.
No need to thank, I'm giving back what I learned here in the past. :)

One stream for live view + One for recording is perfectly fine because the live view is only occasionally running.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've been running Ezviz FW V5.2.4 build 191211 since beginning of this year but had tested on several FW versions(LaView/Hikvision/RCA) throughout 2019. More recent FW versions helped but also believe that optimized networking environment was more important in my mind.
Correct. Wifi cameras need a really stable and strong wifi signal. Most of the problems I see are always due to networking issues. I made a post some days ago regarding this: before doing advanced configurations and testing, make sure that the BASICS ara ok (dns, wifi signal, dhcp reservation, etc.). If the basics are ok, the rest are details.

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Correct. Wifi cameras need a really stable and strong wifi signal. Most of the problems I see are always due to networking issues. I made a post some days ago regarding this: before doing advanced configurations and testing, make sure that the BASICS ara ok (dns, wifi signal, dhcp reservation, etc.). If the basics are ok, the rest are details.
Totally agree! In early 2019, I was happy to get just one 24x7 recording to NVR plus one 24x7 RTSP to my home automation tablets before hitting perf issues when kids were playing Xbox/streaming/etc. After upgrading my Asus AC86U to AX88U router in late 2019 and some networking tweaks, I'm getting by easily with 3-5 streams like 24x7 recording to NVR, 24x7 RTSP to MotionEye pi box, phone/desktop apps, etc before experiencing issues. Now just wish v3 or v4 of this doorbell will include POE so it'll be easy like my POE security cameras.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's been a while so checking in to see how many RCA HSDB2 users have upgraded their FW to latest V5.2.4 build 200321 from 191211(or lower) since March. Since I've been getting the nagging Hik-Connect and Ezviz app compat expiring Aug 1st message on my Galaxy phone, I might need to upgrade before then but don't want to upgrade if issues have arisen since I'm 6 months past my warranty expiration date:cool:

They might be removing more accounts from SSO like they did a little over a year ago between LaView and Hik/Ezviz/RCA/etc which forced me to create an identical account within the separated backend databases. My future hope of Ezviz eventually allowing RCA units to traverse their Amazon Alexa gateways may seem bleak now that they're looking to further decouple more accounts from Ezviz.
Right. Add LaView updates are history now too since they no long sell our DB, at least we got ONVIF support out of them.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Totally agree! In early 2019, I was happy to get just one 24x7 recording to NVR plus one 24x7 RTSP to my home automation tablets before hitting perf issues when kids were playing Xbox/streaming/etc. After upgrading my Asus AC86U to AX88U router in late 2019 and some networking tweaks, I'm getting by easily with 3-5 streams like 24x7 recording to NVR, 24x7 RTSP to MotionEye pi box, phone/desktop apps, etc before experiencing issues. Now just wish v3 or v4 of this doorbell will include POE so it'll be easy like my POE security cameras.
Crazy Streamin' Man!!! :)

You know I first thought of getting a POE CAM with two-way audio (Cam with Mic) for our front door, there are several out there now. Had I checked it out more, I would of maybe left my existing Doorbell alone, got a Sage Sensor for the Chime, and just installed a two-way audio CAM.
BUT, then again I would not have gotten to meet you guys here on this Thread :) Fate brought us all together, oh and this Hik DB :)

Last edited:

shoulih

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@ Pilot04 Just curious to know if you can playback DB's recording from the app and do a Tinycam recording (background mode) at the same time?

Last edited:

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Crazy Streamin' Man!!! :)

You know I first thought of getting a POE CAM with two-way audio (Cam with Mic) for our front door, there are several out there now. Had I checked it out more, I would of maybe left my existing Doorbell alone, got a Sage Sensor for the Chime, and just installed a two-way audio CAM.
BUT, then again I would not have gotten to meet you guys here on this Thread :) Fate brought us all together, oh and this Hik DB :)
I almost went without wifi doorbell a couple years ago as well but glad I stuck with it to complement my front porch POE camera. Having a doorbell camera that is closer to face height view and 2-way video answering worked well for WAF. Also, recordings to it's 128GB microSD has been helpful in half a dozen instances where I'm traveling in area that had VPN issues into my router to get to my NVR. At least I can see the motion detection recorded videos or live doorbell view until I can get to location where I VPN to see NVR continuous recordings. I've been here since the v1 doorbell days so happy to see this thread grow since the initial posts.

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@ Pilot04 Just curious to know if you can playback DB's recording from the app and do a Tinycam recording (background mode) at the same time?
Never tried that as I don't record to my Tinycam and only record to my NVR for all my security cameras and doorbell. If you experience latency, then it may be your network as I can view DB recordings even with the other 2-3 streams present.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For those using the video doorbell with Home Assistant have been tinkering here with Tileboard - New dashboard for Homeassistant.

Currently testing a configuration that is working for cell phone and touchscreens here. Cell phone configuration is working great via a VPN tunnel.

Here are some examples of the custom screens:

tileboardimage.png

Here is a modded first section of the example posted for my automation. I am adding bits and pieces baby steps fashion making it simple.

Originally over did it a bit on my touchscreens putting too many buttons and views and very low on the WAF.

I am particular about time here and use an internal NTP server via GPS / PPS for time sync. All internal devices here use NTP server versus the internet for time.

Code:
/*
This is an example configuration file.

COPY OR RENAME THIS FILE TO config.js.

Make sure you use real IDs from your HA entities.
*/

var CONFIG = {
   customTheme: null, / CUSTOM_THEMES.TRANSPARENT, CUSTOM_THEMES.MATERIAL, CUSTOM_THEMES.MOBILE, CUSTOM_THEMES.COMPACT, CUSTOM_THEMES.HOMEKIT, CUSTOM_THEMES.WINPHONE, CUSTOM_THEMES.WIN95
   transition: TRANSITIONS.ANIMATED_GPU, /ANIMATED or SIMPLE (better perfomance)
   entitySize: ENTITY_SIZES.NORMAL, /SMALL, BIG are available
   tileSize: 150,
   tileMargin: 6,
   serverUrl: 'http://' + location.hostname + ':8123',
   wsUrl: 'ws:/' + location.hostname + ':8123/api/websocket',
   authToken: null, / optional long-lived token (CAUTION: only if TileBoard is not exposed to the internet)
   /googleApiKey: "XXXXXXXXXX", / Required if you are using Google Maps for device tracker
   /mapboxToken: "XXXXXXXXXX", / Required if you are using Mapbox for device tracker
   debug: false, / Prints entities and state change info to the console.
   pingConnection: true, /ping connection to prevent silent disconnections

/ next fields are optional
   events: [],
   timeFormat: 12,
   menuPosition: MENU_POSITIONS.LEFT, / or BOTTOM
   hideScrollbar: false, / horizontal scrollbar
   groupsAlign: GROUP_ALIGNS.HORIZONTALLY, / or VERTICALLY
   onReady: function () {},

header: { / https://github.com/resoai/TileBoard/wiki/Header-configuration
      styles: {
         padding: '1px 1px 0',
         fontSize: '40px'
      },
      right: [],
      left: [
         {
            type: HEADER_ITEMS.DATETIME,
            dateFormat: 'EEEE, LLLL dd', /https://docs.angularjs.org/api/ng/filter/date
         }
      ]
   },

/*screensaver: {/ optional. https://github.com/resoai/TileBoard/wiki/Screensaver-configuration
      timeout: 300, / after 5 mins of inactive
      slidesTimeout: 10, / 10s for one slide
      styles: { fontSize: '40px' },
      leftBottom: [{ type: SCREENSAVER_ITEMS.DATETIME }], / put datetime to the left-bottom of screensaver
      slides: [
         { bg: 'images/bg1.jpeg' },
         {
            bg: 'images/bg2.png',
            rightTop: [ / put text to the 2nd slide
               {
                  type: SCREENSAVER_ITEMS.CUSTOM_HTML,
                  html: 'Welcome to the <b>TileBoard</b>',
                  styles: { fontSize: '40px' }
               }
            ]
         },
         { bg: 'images/bg3.jpg' }
      ]
   },*/

pages: [
      {
         title: 'Main page',
         bg: 'images/bg1.jpeg',
         icon: 'mdi-home-outline', / home icon
         groups: [
            {
               title: '',
               width: 2,
               height: 3,
               items: [
                  {
                     position: [0, 1],
                     width: 2,
                     type: TYPES.CAMERA_THUMBNAIL,
                     id: 'camera.frontdoor', / using empty object for an unknown id
                     state: false, / disable state element

},
                  {
                     position: [0, 2],
                     width: 1,
                     height: .75,
                     type: TYPES.LIGHT,
                     title: 'Front Porch Light',
                     states: {
                     on: "On",
                     off: "Off"
                     },
                     id: 'light.front_door', / using empty object for an unknown id
                     state: false, / disable state element
                     icons: {
                     on: "mdi-lightbulb-on",
                     off: "mdi-lightbulb",
                   }
                  },
                    {
                     position: [1, 2],
                     width: 1,
                     height: .75,
                     title: 'Outside Temp',
                     type: TYPES.SENSOR,
                     id: 'sensor.outside_1wire', / Assign the sensor
                     state: false, / hidding state
                     },
               ]
            },
Note the above is just a copy and paste from my first attempt. It is only one page left side. I am using MQTT here with Home Assistant. (light switches are UPB ==> MQTT, Temperature is 1-wire ==> MQTT via modded WiFi devices et al). Video is a live view. Note learned recently you can also display this web page on the Amazon show. (learning mode right now).

frontdoor.jpg

Last edited:

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For folks running Samsung SmartThings eco, here's example of my dashboard on wall mounted Home Automation Touchscreen Tablets(ipad, win10, android) at entry/exit doors and Echo Show 8 devices in my house. I use the customizable HousePanel dashboard.

First one is main page with doorbell live view, important device status, kids can manage door locks/lights/fan/etc and quick weather forecast
Second one is camera tab with basically all live feeds from either NVR or MotionEye
Last one is weather tab with weather forecast, radar map and live traffic conditions

Attachments

cw-kid

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

Is it possible to change the default RTSP port number from 554 to something else ? I have tried in the IVMS-4200 software but it does seem to save my changes.

I have an Ezviz DB1 running the stock Ezviz firmware.

Thanks

digdoug

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My doorbell is locked up. I can't access it in any software and I can't reset it via the button under the faceplate. I'm going digging through the thread now. For the record, I was running EZVIZ firmware fine before trying Hikvision.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was able to change the port with current HikVision firmware via Batch Config and or ONVIF application.

Try using the Hikvision Batch Configuration and or ONVIF application.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My doorbell is locked up. I can't access it in any software and I can't reset it via the button under the faceplate. I'm going digging through the thread now. For the record, I was running EZVIZ firmware fine before trying Hikvision.

Can you ping the IP of the camera?

Can you maybe disconnect the power from it at the transformer end and see what happens when power is reapplied.

I am not aware of anyone reporting a locked up DB using the latest Hikvision firmware.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Can you ping the IP of the camera?

Can you maybe disconnect the power from it at the transformer end and see what happens when power is reapplied.

I am not aware of anyone reporting a locked up DB using the latest Hikvision firmware.
Mine did after I upgraded, remember? I powered off for 1 hour and nothing. Then I physically disconnected the two wires and brought the camera on my desk, connected to my test AC transformer (12V 15VA) and it immediately worked, when I reconnected everything like it was on the outside gate, I saw a tiny sparkle when the positive was connected (when I see that I know that power is ok) and finally it booted.

It seems like the camera has a sort of protection mode it goes into. It's the second time it happens. I found this solution: disconnect physically, test with my small AC transformer, then mount it back. :)

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Locked up can mean anything. Please detail what you were doing so we understand better. When it turns on the led ring is on? What color? It flashes? Be more specific please so we can help better.

DId you power down for 1 hour and retried? If this doesn't work, read this: New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

I have an Ezviz DB1 with Hikvision fw.

brad_g

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh no!

Read the 101 post. I never had to do this, but try leaving it disconnect overnight so it is completely out of power. I hope it works. People have successfully recovered from this.

digdoug

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, I turned off the breaker and let the battery discharge overnight. I was able to reset the device and I can now access the camera with the EZVIZ app. I reached this stage before. I am still running the Hikvision firmware. I hope the doorbell doesn't continue to lock up. If so, I'll go back to the EZVIZ firmware.

Now to see if ONVIF is working...