New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've noticed that sometimes during a storm, when the power flickers, the chime will get stuck in an infinite loop and keep chiming. I'm using a 16v 30va transformer and using the power kit. Anyone have an idea on the best way to prevent this?
Something does not sound right, maybe a bad/weak Chime or power kit, or maybe even a bad Doorbell. Power should not be passing to the Chime unless the DB button gets pressed. I would check the voltage at the Chime, and if you have an amp meter check the load too (when DB button is pressed). Make sure your wires are tighten to the terminals, no broke wires. Just trying to eliminate possible problems.
We get power flickers and outages all the time, especially around this time of the year with the storms down South. No problem with our Chime, never once had your issue and we have had the DB a year now.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow this thread is looooong! So what's the consensus on this doorbell? If I am buying strictly for the 2-way audio (intercom) feature will I be disappointed? I am setting up several other IP cams and a blue iris PC. We currently have a Ring Pro doorbell. It's OK but we find the best thing about it for us is being able to "answer" the door without answering the door. How does this work for that? It would be especially nice if anyone that has a Ring Pro can compare...

(forgive me if this has already been covered)
Consensus is 214 pages of Hik DB owners...:)

If you are buying for the intercom, I would not recommend this DB. We have all had inconsistency's with the call feature. Lately ours have been working good, that is when someone presses the DB button, our phones ring. But answering can be a different story. We have older Galaxy 7 phones, if that matters (Android version 8), and even though the call comes in a second or two after the DB button got pressed and we answer the call, there is sometimes such a delay that we miss the person, which seems to happen about 50% of the time for us. There are times in which we do not even get the call at all. So this feature is not great for this DB.

As far as previous Ring owners switching to this DB, we have had several and all stated they were glad they switched, but I am sure it was because of the wide range of features this DB has that Ring does not. RTSP, ONVIF, Better Video, 180 FOV, SD Card, Not cloud dependent, to name a few. I have 3 family/friends who have Ring and Ring Pro, I am not impressed with their video and their delayed notifications compared to this Hik DB. Also have a few Nest that I installed for friends, I would say the Nest is much better than the Ring products. On the plus side I do like the Neighborhood Watch feature on the Ring, which most Ring owners like too. But a lot of us here are not Cloud people so we are not into sharing :), only our knowledge and experiences.

Sounds like you may need a DoorBird or something similar. Hikvision has theirs too. Just cannot give any input on these nor if they will work (stream) in Blue Iris. This DB flawlessly streams to Blue Iris, been running 24/7 for almost a year now.

Not sure if any of this helps you, but just Chimed in...Hopefully Ex-Ring owners will Chime in too.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’m in the UK and am using a 16v power adapter which I also used for my last Hikvision 2MP doorbell. No issues when it’s running but I have a lot of power cuts where I live. Occasionally a few Powercut’s in the same day. Also I turned the power off recently as I needed to temporarily use the socket the doorbell was plugged into. Each time, I noticed the doorbell does not reconnect to Wi-fi and I have to use batch configuration again to reconnect as the SSD goes back to Softap.
I can only input that we get a lot of power outages here where I live, we are on a 3 phase system to where power will flicker twice before the third phase which is final outage. I have UPS's all over our house, not on our Doorbell though. I can say I having our LaView DB, with LaView firmware and EZVIZ and Nelly's FW running on it, with power outages, I have never experienced your issue. Here is what is puzzling about your issue, the DB has an internal battery, not sure why you are losing your settings.

My only suggestion is to reach out to other UK owners here to see which transformer they are using. The 16 volts is just part of the picture, you need to have enough VA (Used in the U.S.) Amperage for the DB to function properly. I can say I have read a few messages where previous Hik Gen 1 DB owners here who have had to change out their transformer for this newer Gen DB.

Worse case, install you a UPS at the socket you are using. Wonder if you can get something like this to work:

Not sure this helps you...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On Ring's website there are a lot of schemes for many scenarios, and they're good also for our favorite doorbell because they work the same way from a physical installation point of view. :)

View attachment 64429
So far the few 2Chime owners we have had here require two power kits for our DB. Funny how Ring mislabeled the two Chimes and called them Internal Doorbell 1 and 2. Plus this diagram is Not how most systems are wired, that is from one Chime to another. Most have individual cables/wires coming from Each Chime to the Transformer, along with the DB wire, that is how most are wired here in the US. In helping the 2Chime users here they had 3 cables/6 wires at their transformer so this diagram would not work for them.
Also what is up with their mixed up wire colors :) lol
Sorry, just ribbing Ring on their 2 Chime diagram :)

Probably need to work on our own 2 Chime Diagram too for the 101...Since we have had a few here with 2 Chimes...

doctoru30

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
I think I made a mistake. Unfortunately I did not read page 101 carefully and changed the default password through the bath configuration tool.
Please tell me if I can do anything else or throw it in the trash. :(
I mention that it is EZVID DB1 with the latest firmware version.

Thank you very much

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So far the few 2Chime owners we have had here require two power kits for our DB. Funny how Ring mislabeled the two Chimes and called them Internal Doorbell 1 and 2. Plus this diagram is Not how most systems are wired, that is from one Chime to another. Most have individual cables/wires coming from Each Chime to the Transformer, along with the DB wire, that is how most are wired here in the US. In helping the 2Chime users here they had 3 cables/6 wires at their transformer so this diagram would not work for them.
Also what is up with their mixed up wire colors :) lol
Sorry, just ribbing Ring on their 2 Chime diagram :)

Probably need to work on our own 2 Chime Diagram too for the 101...Since we have had a few here with 2 Chimes...
That is more a "logical" wiring scheme, don't think the intention was to depict how they're usually wired up. But to me it's pretty clear and simple, wiring up the second chime to the first in a sort of daisy chain is the same as going directly to the transformer. It could make sense to do it that way if you have the first chime closer to the second respect to the position of the transformer.

In any case, logically the diagram makes perfectly sense, you then have to "translate" the logical scheme to the actual physical one, but I prefer to first understand things logically, then check the physical layer. I'm an ISO/OSI model dinosaur whenever I approach technical things. :)

Slugger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Consensus is 214 pages of Hik DB owners...:)

If you are buying for the intercom, I would not recommend this DB. We have all had inconsistency's with the call feature. Lately ours have been working good, that is when someone presses the DB button, our phones ring. But answering can be a different story. We have older Galaxy 7 phones, if that matters (Android version 8), and even though the call comes in a second or two after the DB button got pressed and we answer the call, there is sometimes such a delay that we miss the person, which seems to happen about 50% of the time for us. There are times in which we do not even get the call at all. So this feature is not great for this DB.

As far as previous Ring owners switching to this DB, we have had several and all stated they were glad they switched, but I am sure it was because of the wide range of features this DB has that Ring does not. RTSP, ONVIF, Better Video, 180 FOV, SD Card, Not cloud dependent, to name a few. I have 3 family/friends who have Ring and Ring Pro, I am not impressed with their video and their delayed notifications compared to this Hik DB. Also have a few Nest that I installed for friends, I would say the Nest is much better than the Ring products. On the plus side I do like the Neighborhood Watch feature on the Ring, which most Ring owners like too. But a lot of us here are not Cloud people so we are not into sharing :), only our knowledge and experiences.

Sounds like you may need a DoorBird or something similar. Hikvision has theirs too. Just cannot give any input on these nor if they will work (stream) in Blue Iris. This DB flawlessly streams to Blue Iris, been running 24/7 for almost a year now.

Not sure if any of this helps you, but just Chimed in...Hopefully Ex-Ring owners will Chime in too.
Thanks for the input @David L . We plan to have our entryway covered with a turret IPcam saving to BI so it's really not so much a matter of recording video of events. Though 180 FOV and SD Card storage does sound nice as added footage. I will monitor what others say here. We really don't have too much trouble with notifications or calls being delayed on our Ring Pro. Our doorbell is near our router and has a 5Ghz connection so maybe that helps? And the new "Rapid Ring" app from Ring really helps speed up the response times too. Your family/friends should try it if they haven't. We almost never actually get up and answer the door now. We just talk to them on the phone first and decide if it's worth getting up lol.

I'll probably wait to replace something that is working well for us. Just thought it would be nice to have everything on one system. I will also look into DoorBird...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is more a "logical" wiring scheme, don't think the intention was to depict how they're usually wired up. But to me it's pretty clear and simple, wiring up the second chime to the first in a sort of daisy chain is the same as going directly to the transformer. It could make sense to do it that way if you have the first chime closer to the second respect to the position of the transformer.

In any case, logically the diagram makes perfectly sense, you then have to "translate" the logical scheme to the actual physical one, but I prefer to first understand things logically, then check the physical layer. I'm an ISO/OSI model dinosaur whenever I approach technical things. :)
Agreed. I remember this diagram, or one similar, being posted here with the new DB owner stating they could not wire from Chime to Chime. Thank you for your diagram, I am working on a 2 Chime diagram today for our 101. Hopefully it will paint a more simpler picture for everyone.

Look at this one lol:

1592919960178.png

Found the Ring site you mentioned with all the diagrams. Now I have to agree, it is nice they have the different diagrams available but I am sure they still get plenty of Tech. calls...I had to help family/friends with theirs :)

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Agreed. I remember this diagram, or one similar, being posted here with the new DB owner stating they could not wire from Chime to Chime. Thank you for your diagram, I am working on a 2 Chime diagram today for our 101. Hopefully it will paint a more simpler picture for everyone.

Look at this one lol:

View attachment 64440

Found the Ring site you mentioned with all the diagrams. Now I have to agree, it is nice they have the different diagrams available but I am sure they still get plenty of Tech. calls...I had to help family/friends with theirs :)

I linked it in my post, see the word "schemas" underlined? That was a link. Should've made it more clear. Sorry about that. :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,
I think I made a mistake. Unfortunately I did not read page 101 carefully and changed the default password through the bath configuration tool.
Please tell me if I can do anything else or throw it in the trash. :(
I mention that it is EZVID DB1 with the latest firmware version.

Thank you very much
So I am not the one that can help you but do not panic, there is a solution to fix this so do not trash your DB. Worse case a hard reset (no power for an hour or two) to fully drain it's battery, is one fix. This will get you back to factory settings, with the P/W reset back to original.
But there is probably a better way, so I am going to let others Chime in...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I linked it in my post, see the word "schemas" underlined? That was a link. Should've made it more clear. Sorry about that. :)
No my miss. Been busy this morning and coming back to the Forum. We have had a lot of rain and storms this week, with more to come, so making sure nothing will fly off :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the input @David L . We plan to have our entryway covered with a turret IPcam saving to BI so it's really not so much a matter of recording video of events. Though 180 FOV and SD Card storage does sound nice as added footage. I will monitor what others say here. We really don't have too much trouble with notifications or calls being delayed on our Ring Pro. Our doorbell is near our router and has a 5Ghz connection so maybe that helps? And the new "Rapid Ring" app from Ring really helps speed up the response times too. Your family/friends should try it if they haven't. We almost never actually get up and answer the door now. We just talk to them on the phone first and decide if it's worth getting up lol.

I'll probably wait to replace something that is working well for us. Just thought it would be nice to have everything on one system. I will also look into DoorBird...
So I saw you in other Threads, which IP Cam did you get or are getting? The 5442 Turret? I just got mine last week, still hoping to make time this week to set it up, bench test that is. Still trying to read he 50 page Thread :)

Reaction score
If you have connection failed on both apps you have network connection issues or the camera is not setup correctly. You need to solve those problems first. Make the camera work normally then do the next step.

When the camera works correctly, and you can connect to it through the app, you can then use Guarding Vision app to connect to it, and in the options you'll find the Chime settings, enable there and choose Chyme Type (mechanical or electronic).
Other than the chime the camera has been stable for the past few days and everything works as it should. I can also use the Hik connect and Guardian Vision app to view the image, just not remotely configure it. Last night I installed the windows 10 app and can configure it remotely but I can't find any option for the chime option. Do you know if/where it's located in the desktop app?

Some additional info:
Device model: CS-DB1-A0-1B3WPFR
Firmware: v.5.2.4 build 191211
I have WiFi mesh pods
All ports listed in 101 have been added

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So this is a rough draft, it needs more wire routing work but want to make sure I got the wiring right...

1592927642540.png

s1myr

n3wb
Reaction score
I can only input that we get a lot of power outages here where I live, we are on a 3 phase system to where power will flicker twice before the third phase which is final outage. I have UPS's all over our house, not on our Doorbell though. I can say I having our LaView DB, with LaView firmware and EZVIZ and Nelly's FW running on it, with power outages, I have never experienced your issue. Here is what is puzzling about your issue, the DB has an internal battery, not sure why you are losing your settings.

My only suggestion is to reach out to other UK owners here to see which transformer they are using. The 16 volts is just part of the picture, you need to have enough VA (Used in the U.S.) Amperage for the DB to function properly. I can say I have read a few messages where previous Hik Gen 1 DB owners here who have had to change out their transformer for this newer Gen DB.

Worse case, install you a UPS at the socket you are using. Wonder if you can get something like this to work:

Not sure this helps you...
Not sure I want to go the route of a UPS for a doorbell. And the doorbell works perfectly all the time so I don't think the transformer is the issue. I'm wondering if the internal battery is faulty as no-one else is having this issue. I see other posts here about changing the password of the DB1, which should not be done, and unplugging for a few hours resets the password (I did need to do that too as I activated in Batch Configuration by mistake). Does powerdown for a period reset the wifi too maybe but mine may be quicker if the internal battery is faulty?? Maybe i should buy another DB1 and see if I have the same issue.

s1myr

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. My DB1 is all connected and has Hikvision firmware. It's recording to my Hikvision NVR but I cannot get it to email me images of events (PIR events). I see the events in HikConnect but don’t get the event emails. My old Hikvision 2MP doorbell had normal events and did email them. Is it that the DB1 uses PIR events? Any help appreciated. Thanks

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Other than the chime the camera has been stable for the past few days and everything works as it should. I can also use the Hik connect and Guardian Vision app to view the image, just not remotely configure it. Last night I installed the windows 10 app and can configure it remotely but I can't find any option for the chime option. Do you know if/where it's located in the desktop app?

Some additional info:
Device model: CS-DB1-A0-1B3WPFR
Firmware: v.5.2.4 build 191211
I have WiFi mesh pods
All ports listed in 101 have been added
The option is in the Guarding Vision or Hik-Connect mobile apps, not on Ezviz, like we explained before. :)

If the guarding vision app connects correctly to the camera, you should be able to go into the options menu. If not, you have a problem that is not necessarily related to the camera (network, wifi, firewall, etc.). The video you see is just a stream, you have to be able to communicate correctly with the camera from the smartphone. If you don't solve this problem you are not able to use the camera correctly. The camera is not stable as you think it is, you have problems that need to be addressed, based on what you are reporting.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@m82a1pa

Personally your NuTone LA305WL Westminster chime doorbell schematic looks like a regular type of doorbell chime except that it has 3 doorbell button connections and 3 chimes. All working in the same fashion as a single or double chime doorbell including the wiring.

My old contractor installed Nutone Doorbell chime was a 10VAC style with two doorbell button connections and two chimers inside and a 10VAC AC transformer connected to it. It worked fine with the RIng doorbell but not with the Hikvision doorbell until I went to a 16VAC transformer.

That said here configured my doorbell inside of the house connected to a second transformer. Leave your doorbell chime / transformer alone for time bean.

Connect your new Hikvision doorbell to the spare AC transformer...(whatever has been suggested above). Configure it inside of your home first.

Here utilize an old computer power cord and cut the end off, striped the AC wires so that I could connect it to the transformer and connected the low voltage side to the doorbell.

NOTE: if you not comfortable doing this ask an electrician to wire it for you.

DoorbellTesting.jpg

Last edited:

m82a1pa

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is our diagram to follow from our Doorbell 101 So in your case the power kit will go in between your 3 and F wiring, in other words wire the power kit to your Chime then the Trans./Doorbell wires to the power kit.
Thanks for the diagram. However, on my schematic I posted, one side of the transformer goes to the '2' connection. This supplies the 'hot' side of the transformer which powers the doorbell's circuit board (internally changed to DC to also power the chime circuitry for the solenoids). The 'common' side of the transformer then goes to the '3' connector and one side of the button ( or camera). The 'F' connection goes to the other side of the switch (or camera). Since there's always power to the camera, I don't know what happens when the camera ring button is pressed to activate the doorbell.

Your diagram doesn't match my schematic since I'll need to connect to '3' to supply continuous power to the chime, assuming the 'hot' transformer lead connects to '2'.

In other words, I'm still lost in hooking the power kit to my schematic.

m82a1pa

n3wb
Reaction score
@m82a1pa

Personally your NuTone LA305WL Westminster chime doorbell schematic looks like a regular type of doorbell chime except that it has 3 doorbell button connections and 3 chimes. All working in the same fashion as a single or double chime doorbell including the wiring.

My old contractor installed Nutone Doorbell chime was a 10VAC style with two doorbell button connections and two chimers inside and a 10VAC AC transformer connected to it. It worked fine with the RIng doorbell but not with the Hikvision doorbell until I went to a 16VAC transformer.

That said here configured my doorbell inside of the house connected to a second transformer. Leave your doorbell chime / transformer alone for time bean.

Connect your new Hikvision doorbell to the spare AC transformer...(whatever has been suggested above). Configure it inside of your home first.

Here utilize an old computer power cord and cut the end off, striped the AC wires so that I could connect it to the transformer and connected the low voltage side to the doorbell.

NOTE: if you not comfortable doing this ask an electrician to wire it for you.
I ordered a transformer and it'll be here tomorrow.

I appreciate it!