New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mine is in the process of being replaced due to some pink Video artifacts and degraded video quality. I think the camera chip was bad. However I didn’t have any reboot issues when using BI. I was doing a lot with it too. I had BI and Smartthings integrated so that when there is movement, it acts as a motion detector in ST. Also I have day and night profiles with different blocked out motion areas for each. Worked great other than those pink artifacts that was triggering motion. Will let everyone know when I get the replacement. I planned on sending it back on the RMA last month but got too busy. I put my old Nelly’s back up until I get the other one back. Also I did notice a delayed iOS app ring on doorbell ring. It seemed to be much longer than the Nelly’s. It’s odd because they use the same backend. I was using the RCA app and not any of the others. I found the RCA app supported it the best except for the incorrect notification bubble numbers.

Glen Mark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This could be simply because the camera cannot keep up with sending a constant stream to BI. To test, send the rtsp stream to vlc. If it is fine in vlc, email BI support.
Thanks fenderman, it is indeed fine in VLC -- rebooting happens only with BI. Especially when there is more than streaming activity on the camera, like its detecting motion and writing, or im using the app at the same time. Hums along fine with VLC no matter what I do with the cam/other apps.

I tried a lot of different combinations of BI settings. I'll try to see if the BI folks will give support on this. Thanks.

Glen Mark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
no rebooting/stream issues here....
Thanks -- can you check if we are running the same firmware?

Cam firmware version is V5.2.4 build 181024
BI version 4.8.3.0 x64

If it's not too much trouble, maybe we can compare settings?

Glen Mark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did notice a delayed iOS app ring on doorbell ring. It seemed to be much longer than the Nelly’s. It’s odd because they use the same backend. I was using the RCA app and not any of the others. I found the RCA app supported it the best except for the incorrect notification bubble numbers.
I only have android phones, but I do have an ipad, and i set that up with the EZVIZ app. I decided to use that app because it is being updated much more than the RCA. I even spoke to the EZVIZ folks, very helpful bunch. They knew i was using the EZVIZ app with the RCA and had zero issue supporting that.

They did tell me that they updated their servers to address ring delay issues just this week. They also supposedly released a new app version but I haven't seen it.

I tried it today, iOS rang pretty quick. Android is still hit or miss.

They also said they'll be posting another firmware soon as well to go with the backend fixes. I don't know if I want to wait tho. I can live with the delay if I integrated with Smartthings through BI like you did, but the rebooting I just can't deal with. When I have it on my bench, it reboots much less then when its mounted and the bell is more busy with recording/notifying (reboots several times a day) whereas today on BI in rebooted only once during the afternoon with nobody around to set off the bell. But once i used it a bit after I got home, boom.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I only have android phones, but I do have an ipad, and i set that up with the EZVIZ app. I decided to use that app because it is being updated much more than the RCA. I even spoke to the EZVIZ folks, very helpful bunch. They knew i was using the EZVIZ app with the RCA and had zero issue supporting that.

They did tell me that they updated their servers to address ring delay issues just this week. They also supposedly released a new app version but I haven't seen it.

I tried it today, iOS rang pretty quick. Android is still hit or miss.

They also said they'll be posting another firmware soon as well to go with the backend fixes. I don't know if I want to wait tho. I can live with the delay if I integrated with Smartthings through BI like you did, but the rebooting I just can't deal with. When I have it on my bench, it reboots much less then when its mounted and the bell is more busy with recording/notifying (reboots several times a day) whereas today on BI in rebooted only once during the afternoon with nobody around to set off the bell. But once i used it a bit after I got home, boom.
That rebooting after lots of activity could also be related to a power issue

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think the BI stream is pulling any more power than VLC? I suppose I could use an ammeter and confirm...
There is not way for blue iris to "pull more power". Its just that bad power causes all sorts of problems, particularly causing reboots during high power.
Also ensure pull point subscription is not checked in the bi video config settings.

Glen Mark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is not way for blue iris to "pull more power". Its just that bad power causes all sorts of problems, particularly causing reboots during high power.
Also ensure pull point subscription is not checked in the bi video config settings.
Yes, I can see there is no power change, using a jeweled clampon ammeter to meaure, about .4amp at 20VAC. Transformer is 1A rated. I've tried other bigger transformers, no difference. I suppose I can get another doorbell transformer, but I really don't see the current draw requiring it.

Definitely not setting pullpoint in BI...

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use the Edwards 16v 30va transformer without any issues. I had a nutone 16v 10va before and it was overdrawn at times and would cause issues with reboots etc.

Glen Mark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use the Edwards 16v 30va transformer without any issues. I had a nutone 16v 10va before and it was overdrawn at times and would cause issues with reboots etc.
Thanks Chad, I ordered the Edwards coming Saturday and will give that a try just to eliminate the power concern

hik78

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks -- can you check if we are running the same firmware?

Cam firmware version is V5.2.4 build 181024
BI version 4.8.3.0 x64

If it's not too much trouble, maybe we can compare settings?
same cam firmware, BI version 4.8.2.3 x64

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought it. still having trouble to connect to WiFi.
I have the older version and I literally had to take my second WiFi router and place it almost directly underneath it in the basement for it to connect to the WiFi reliably. After doing that it’s been rock solid. I would take your closest WiFi router and find a long Ethernet cable to run the router right next to the doorbell. Then test it and see if that’s the issue.

Glen Mark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Chad,

I did get the Edwards transformer and ran the HSDB2A on the bench for a few days, no reboots (it got hot as heck tho). The ammeter showed it was pulling .5amps interestingly, so it definitely wanted more juice than it was getting from the old transformer. However, once I mounted the camera and replaced the old transformer into my doorbell wiring, I still get the reboots!

It seems that the camera has some kind of internal rechargeable battery, since the doorbell light stays blue for about 2-3 seconds when I disconnect it from the transformer. So, I'm not sure why, even after a reboot, if there's enough juice to power the thing for several seconds why exactly isn't it enough to keep it alive. Are you also seeing about 2-3 seconds power after disconnecting?

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did read somewhere that there is a cap that provides momentary charge to the doorbell so that it stays going during the doorbell ring cycle. Do you have it installed with a mechanical or digital chime when installed for real? Does it have the resistor or powerkit installed on the chime? I think if there isn’t an additional load it will get hot and that might be what is causing the reboots. Just a theory.

Glen Mark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did read somewhere that there is a cap that provides momentary charge to the doorbell so that it stays going during the doorbell ring cycle. Do you have it installed with a mechanical or digital chime when installed for real? Does it have the resistor or powerkit installed on the chime? I think if there isn’t an additional load it will get hot and that might be what is causing the reboots. Just a theory.
It was hot only on the bench with the resistive load.

I have it installed with an electronic chime, and the power pak. No diode. The doorbell cycle I have is 5 seconds.

However, the rebooting happens without ringing the doorbell. The amount of time that the device is powered after removing power it has to be significantly more than a cap.

argus

n3wb
Reaction score
My unit runs very hot regardless if I install the supplied resistor with no chime or supplied power pack with a mechanical chime and the app set accordingly of course. The unit works fine in both modes and does not have any rebooting or wifi connection issues. I can’t work out what I am doing wrong to get the high temps and am worried that with rear top half of the unit up at 140F life will be compromised.

Glen what is the model of the electronic chime you are using?

Glen Mark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did read somewhere that there is a cap that provides momentary charge to the doorbell so that it stays going during the doorbell ring cycle.
Just got this from Voxx/RCA support -- doesn't really add up, but ok...

The doorbell has a slight partition of reserve power(think of a backup generator) when not connected to a live current. That is why the light remains lit for a few seconds. If that happens again, where you disconnect the doorbell and the light remains lit, I want you to remove the SD card and reinsert it.
I'm not sure what one has to do with the other...

argus

n3wb
Reaction score
Just got this from Voxx/RCA support -- doesn't really add up, but ok...

The doorbell has a slight partition of reserve power(think of a backup generator) when not connected to a live current. That is why the light remains lit for a few seconds. If that happens again, where you disconnect the doorbell and the light remains lit, I want you to remove the SD card and reinsert it.

I'm not sure what one has to do with the other...
Thanks for the model info.
Seems like strange advice. I assumed that the reserve power is there to allow any recording that is in progress to have the file closed properly and avoid corrupted files on the SD card. I have a dash cam that has no battery but uses a capacitor for the same reason (Lithium batteries locked in a car during an Australian summer = not pretty).
Did they happen to comment on the high temperatures you were seeing with your unit?