New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

dbaker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just bought the LaView off of Amazon, will be here Monday. I currently have a Nest Hello that I will be comparing it to. Any other tests...?

Anyone want to part with/sell one of their dark color RCA plates? I would like to see if it will fit/can be adapted. Also need to confirm if they have the black button embedded in each of the plates, or if the button is part of the chassis?

Last edited:

bookemdano

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anyone want to part with/sell one of their dark color RCA plates? Also need to confirm if they have the black button embedded in each of the plates, or if the button is part of the chassis?
Do you intend to mod the RCA faceplate to fit? Otherwise I don't think it's gonna work.

Edit: The video I linked () shows the button for the RCA version attached to the faceplate. Granted it appears to be a rendering, but still. Maybe @Chadsturgill can confirm.

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just bought the LaView off of Amazon, will be here Monday. I currently have a Nest Hello that I will be comparing it to. Any other tests...?

Anyone want to part with/sell one of their dark color RCA plates? I would like to see if it will fit/can be adapted. Also need to confirm if they have the black button embedded in each of the plates, or if the button is part of the chassis?

PM me about the plates... :)

But I think they WILL have to be modified to fit (as bookemdano mentioned) (unless the rendering of the LaView is not correct.... which I have experienced before)

And they do have the black button embedded.

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm still hedging that the RCA(HSDB2A on RCA site but clearly model "HSDB2" on the S/N label on the doorbell) is the same as LaView/Ezviz/etc. If you look at their FCC filing, it has the same pictures as the LaView and Ezviz. Voxx is who bought the RCA brand and sells the HSDB1 and HSDB2. Maybe just the camera lens cover was the only thing modified for RCA(Voxx) by Hikvision is my guess as everything else looks to be similar based on FCC ID VIXHSDB2.
HSDB2 Video Doorbell External Photos APPENDIX 1 Voxx Accessories Corp.

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IMG_0319.jpeg My RCA HSDB2's have the oval lens cutout... and the mic hole.IMG_0319.jpeg

dbaker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, I intend to mod the plate or just rob the black button from it and paint the LaView plate a darker color. I am also curious to see if the pill shaped opening just sits flush on top of the round lens housing on the LaView.

dbaker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
PM me about the plates... :)

But I think they WILL have to be modified to fit (as bookemdano mentioned) (unless the rendering of the LaView is not correct.... which I have experienced before)

And they do have the black button embedded.
Sent you a PM

Aocam

n3wb
Reaction score
Will report Saturday, took it apart and brought it home for now
Update on mine . RCA branded camera with LaView firmware and laview one app. Whomever was asking, ugly RCA logo is still there. Sorry. This version does come with 2 plates white and black.

Question for the group. Not very good with electrical stuff, so the question may be stupid. I have mechanical chime. Configuration of wiring before attaching power pack was 2 white wires where connected together by Merrette (yellow cap thing) and both terminals on the chime had black wires connected to them . I disconnected both black wires from chime terminal , connected one to white and the other to black on power pack as shown in the manual. Camera works, wifi and all, how ever pressing doorbell button, only rings camera but not he mechanical doorbell. Ideas ?

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You have to go into the app and setup the mechanical chime as the option. I had the same issue until I had the duh moment of seeing it in the app. Once I set it to mechanical, it started ding donging along with the button push.

bcslaam

n3wb
Reaction score
LaView One halo seems like the best one to get so far to date?. I definitely preferr it to the rca one because of rca's attitude. Laview announcing onvif is a good sign. I would want to use the laview one with BI.

The only place i can seem to get it from in Australia is newegg for $333! can anyone else chime in on an oz source cheaper than that? The Amazon.com item wont post to oz. Amazon.com.au only has the rca which i dont want even though it's 100 cheaper.

Also it doesnt seem to be able to change angke from straight ahead. Has anyone been able to mount it slightly rotated right or left? Otherwise half my picture will be a wall. Could i use shims or a wedge shaped block of wood? Thanks.

Last edited:

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
LaView One halo seems like the best one to get so far to date?. I definitely preferr it to the rca one because of rca's attitude. Laview announcing onvif is a good sign. I would want to use the laview one with BI.

The only place i can seem to get it from in Australia is newegg for $333! can anyone else chime in on an oz source cheaper than that? The Amazon.com item wont post to oz. Amazon.com.au only has the rca which i dont want even though it's 100 cheaper.
RCA's attitude?

They both should work fine in BI as you can get the rtsp stream from either device..

What did rca do to you.?

bcslaam

n3wb
Reaction score
RCA's attitude?

They both should work fine in BI as you can get the rtsp stream from either device..

What did rca do to you.?
Haha thanks for quick reply. The earlier posts of the techs refusing to admit it can use rstp or anything but rca. Their insistant logo on the video image. And now i read that the laview has starlite and ir sensor that the r a does not.

bcslaam

n3wb
Reaction score
Also i read that rca have made the firmware scarce whereas laview are open with theirs. I hate that crap, greediness, closed in. I dont want to reward that and will pay 100 bucks more if neccessary. But really starlite and ir sensor is much better too

bcslaam

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks I see this is probably the EU version. With this device in its various forms what's your opinion on EzViz vs LaView in terms of willingness to provide onvif when it comes, willingness to make firmware available and unlock all features possible? I'm prepared to pay for a company that is less greedy, not insisting on locking me in, less likely to release an update where they cripple open ended features such as onvif or rstp steam, the andoid app features and quality etc

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think you are basing your opinion on a lot of other opinions and conjecture. I have had great experience with the RCA device. It does come with ALL the goodies unlike LaView. It has 3 different angles mounting brackets. 3 different colored faceplates, the power pack, the resister for lack of doorbell, a level, a nice masonry drill bit, and a little drill bit for the smaller holes. Also has a little screw driver for mounting the faceplace security screws. My first RCA device had pink video artifacts and RCA/Voxx issued a replacement without any issue. Nobody has been able to find firmware for any of these HSDB2 devices no matter the oem label. Also it appears it doesn’t matter. They all seem to be the same. When a LaView firmware was applied to the RCA it had the same outcome. Nothing is different. I honestly believe they are all identical hardware with slight visual differences on aesthetics. The LaView doesn’t appear to come with as many accessories. Also there is a mate up in Canada that found one that doesn’t appear to be branded. So check that out. I believe when onvif comes out for LaView it will be on the others as well. While RTSP doesn’t seem to be “supported” by RCA you also don’t see it listed as a feature on any of the other ones either. Nobody has taken the time like I did to reach out to their respective support companies to ask about it. So I wouldn’t assume that they are or are not supporting it.

tonydotigr

n3wb
Reaction score
I was able to get the HSDB2A setup at home with Blue Iris. Initial setup was relatively easy. This thread has been very helpful so figured I would share my experience.

Below are things I completed and/or might be helpful notes (braindump) for someone installing.
  • RCA app works well on iPhone no issues.
  • Unfi AP in the basement and the doorbell doesn't seem to have connection problems. At one point I had artifacts, but they have not returned.
  • The doorbell would not connect to Blue Iris until I changed out the doorbell transformer. Here's the one I bought: https://amzn.to/2UkKoby
  • Put in a DHCP reservation on the router to ensure the IP address doesn't change for Blue Iris.
  • Blue Iris did detect/configure correctly to initially view.
  • Changed the camera settings to what was provided in the video to enable two-way via Blue Iris.
  • Username is admin password is on a sticker on the doorbell and also on the manual. It was all alpha characters uppercase, your mileage might vary.
  • IVMS 4200 for Mac was installed, added camera then removed date stamp and enabled WDR. Using Blue Iris timestamp.
  • Wish the mounts were stackable. Having a side angle and slope at the same time would be ideal.
Really like the camera so far, only wish there was a way to safely remove the RCA watermark.

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bookemdano

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was able to get the HSDB2A setup at home with Blue Iris. Initial setup was relatively easy. This thread has been very helpful so figured I would share my experience.
  • Changed the camera settings to what was provided in the video to enable two-way via Blue Iris.
Just to be sure, have you tested that 2-way audio is working in BI for the HSDB2 after following the steps in that video?