New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

ImSW1

n3wb
Reaction score
This is what I found, I first searched for RCA owners who upgraded to Nelly's firmware but was not finding any so I switched over to RCA owners who upgraded to LaView's firmware. I will be searching this afternoon again for Nelly's firmware but wanted to share what I found so far.

LaView firmware on RCA owners:

New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera Chadsturgill

New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera camCanuck
Hi there,

I'm running three of the RCA HSDB2A's on LaView's firmware. I have doorbells at each of my garage doors, so I use them as a security camera of sorts. They are flashed (LaView) and have the logo removed. They are also active on my Q-See DVR using ONVIF. I haven't tried to put them on Nelly's firmware.

If you are looking to pick up a few, I picked the three units I have from Jet.com. Right now they are going for $79.50. The description says "scuffed box," but mine arrived in perfect condition.

phatboyj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Would this be a good NVR to use with my new Doorbell Cam?

it Seems like a good deal @ $129.95 us but I have Zero experience with IP-Cams, NVR's etc. Would a NVR such as this one work for wireless IP-Cams, or is it for POE type Cams only?

I currently own An EZVIZ-DB1 and 2 3mp Amcrest Wireless PTZ's but have yet to install them

any advice and or suggestions greatly appreciated

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
unfortunately, these doorbell cams are wifi only -- no hard wire internet/data connections (thus, TFP won't help for bricked ones)
I just read the same thing, requires a network cable, Dang...Great find Pete...

1579614758247.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm running three of the RCA HSDB2A's on LaView's firmware. I have doorbells at each of my garage doors, so I use them as a security camera of sorts. They are flashed (LaView) and have the logo removed. They are also active on my Q-See DVR using ONVIF. I haven't tried to put them on Nelly's firmware.

If you are looking to pick up a few, I picked the three units I have from Jet.com. Right now they are going for $79.50. The description says "scuffed box," but mine arrived in perfect condition.
Thank you for your share...Great find...Always wondered how these sites get a hold of these slightly damaged boxed stuff and how they got scuffed, mishandling?, truck accident dumps load on the road? :)
What ever you do, I would not try Nelly's firmware at this time. I am not trying to demonize their firmware, but several recent bricks, something is up. Maybe corrupt file from their site? Don't know. Will add you to the list I posted, thank you: New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

jrinco11

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome. I received my new RCA today and have not yet returned the brick one. I'll happily try this tftp solution, but I have low expectations. I feel like the bootloader got trashed somehow, but I'll be happy if I'm wrong.
Looks like it needs a hard wire connection...

jrinco11

n3wb
Reaction score
tried placing the laview firmware (renamed to digicap.dav) at the root of a freshly reformatted fat32 sd card on my bricked RCA and still no luck, still red ring of death :(

(therefore, I ordered an open box excellent condition ezviz db1 from ebay via adorama and it arrives next week, hopefully I'll have better luck with that one!)

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
tried placing the laview firmware (renamed to digicap.dav) at the root of a freshly reformatted fat32 sd card on my bricked RCA and still no luck, still red ring of death :(
Well, worth the try, thank you...Looks like the SD-Card trick does not work for this camera. I am going to remove this possible option in the 101.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

(therefore, I ordered an open box excellent condition ezviz db1 from ebay via adorama and it arrives next week, hopefully I'll have better luck with that one!)
jrinco11 Please don't take this wrong, I am just sharing to help a possible problem, but pete_c had a bad experience getting a openbox. You have had enough problems...

1579619170611.png

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
jrinco11 Please don't take this wrong, I am just sharing to help a possible problem, but pete_c had a bad experience getting a openbox. You have had enough problems...

View attachment 54316
Yeah, I heard a lot of these RCA DBs were returned as bricked. So be aware. ;-)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I heard a lot of these RCA DBs were returned as bricked. So be aware. ;-)
Receiving a brick (DOA) is one thing, I have had DOA motherboards along with many other DOA devices I have had to deal with, but to do an install then find out you can't finish the setup because it has already been registered on a cloud and the company won't help you is worse in my opinion.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted to share what I found in doing my search for RCA owners with Nelly's firmware. Nelly's has 2 model numbers, NSC-DB2 and HNDB313-W/16G? Still got the Nelly's firmware brick issue in my head, just thinking maybe different firmware?

Olddawg has this model # HNDB313-W/16G

New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera Olddawg

New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera JSnP

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Would this be a good NVR to use with my new Doorbell Cam?

it Seems like a good deal @ $129.95 us but I have Zero experience with IP-Cams, NVR's etc. Would a NVR such as this one work for wireless IP-Cams, or is it for POE type Cams only?

I currently own An EZVIZ-DB1 and 2 3mp Amcrest Wireless PTZ's but have yet to install them

any advice and or suggestions greatly appreciated
There is a Forum here that may help:

I do not have a NVR, though several here do. I have heard/read that one of the main advantages of a NVR vs. Blue Iris is being able to process of multiple cameras, also file compression. Actually my Blue Iris PC is a NVR. So for me, I had your same question, I had a second PC (i7) that I did not use much and for $50 I went the Blue Iris route, First. I only have the one Doorbell currently running on it and CPU usage is pretty low. I plan to add 2-3 outdoor cameras in the future so we will see how much it will increase. If it becomes a problem I will go for a NVR or maybe even NAS.
1579623140595.png

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmm, I haven't found BI to be a CPU hog. Mine runs on an old (2012) i7 and with 12 cameras <this doorbell being one of them> sending it about 550 MP/s, BI uses about 20-25% CPU.
Nor have I, though I only have one camera recording 24/7, great to know 12 will not be a problem, thanks. I have a clean install of WIN10 with 16Gigs, the i7 6th Gen. PC is dedicated to Blue Iris, no extra programs installed. I should not have used the words CPU hog, I edited my post, I am sure most of what I read was old news, plus there are numerous factors involved when using a PC.

Thank you aristobrat

jrinco11

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow, already received my EZVIZ doorbell (ordered it two days ago via adorama on ebay!) - everything looks new except for a slight scratch on the back where the screw terminals are for power, but hooked it up and it's working fine!

Now onto attempting a firmware upgrade again (I necessarily want ONVIF). I'm currently on V5.2.4 build 190304 and it's prompting me to upgrade to V5.2.4 build 191211. Before I do any firmware updates, is there a way to get a copy of the current firmware I have installed? Then, to get an ONVIF supported firmware, should I first do the built in firmware update and only then try moving over to nelly's / laview after that's successful? And I indeed simply add the doorbell to batch config, do not activate it (otherwise it'll change the password), and then go to upgrade -> point to the .dav, and go?

LYNSKYN

n3wb
Reaction score
I just installed an EZVIZ DB1 and everything works well. The only hiccup I had was I could not answer when someone rang the doorbell. The answer/reject dialog popped up but when I tapped answer on my android phone (Galaxy S9) I just got a spinning circle and no video. Called EZVIZ and they had me uninstall and reinstall the app and then it worked.
BTW I was able to get the camera working on my Northern NVR (Hikvision rebrand) with the EZVIZ firmware so I didn't have to get the ONVIF firmware for that. Is there any other advantage to using the LaView firmware? Thanks.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
is there a way to get a copy of the current firmware I have installed?

You can using the TFTP tool mentioned above with the command

copy digicap.dav digicap.dav.backup

Updating firmware with the Hikvision Batch configuration program is as you mentioned in your post.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
scroberts72 said:

I found that adding the @fakefmtp command to the TAGS section on the Monocle Gateway configuration allows the doorbell camera to display.

Worked. Thank you!!!

Fast enough for me. I am using the @proxy setting for the other 2 HikVision camera boards.

Interesting called up the "front door" first which used to be my Ring Doorbell which today is off with battery removed.

I saw a blurry image from a Ring doorbell camera and heard a TV playing in the backround.