New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's the onvif events API, have it working with Nelly and Laview firmware. That it's unstable doesn't come from the API but from my underpowered doorbell (at least I hope that), I'm waiting for a new transformer. I'm using this lib, works flawlessly:

I also looked for a ring button event but there doesn't seem to be one. If you want to go down a hacky route you might want to intercept the call to the cloud when the button is pressed.
Thanks a lot for the info. My devices are not connected to the cloud, I don't want to depend on the internet connection to make my house work. I'm using a central hub (Hubitat Elevation) to manage my important devices (door locks, light switches, plugs, etc.).

I also prefer to stick to the EZVIZ firmware, I found it is more stable and is more frequently updated/maintained.

I solved the ring issue with the SAGE Doorbell Sensor (zigbee), it is working pretty good since yesterday. :)

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the info. My devices are not connected to the cloud, I don't want to depend on the internet connection to make my house work. I'm using a central hub (Hubitat Elevation) to manage my important devices (door locks, light switches, plugs, etc.).

I also prefer to stick to the EZVIZ firmware, I found it is more stable and is more frequently updated/maintained.

I solved the ring issue with the SAGE Doorbell Sensor (zigbee), it is working pretty good since yesterday. :)
Good to see someone else using Sage Doorbell sensor with this. I ordered mine off ebay for like 3 dollars and I was hoping to get it to work with Home Assistant but couldn't get it to work and after doing some searches, someone already wrote a Sage driver for Hubitat so I ordered one last night.

Now I see your post that you are using both Sage Doorbell and Hubitat with success and I am glad to see this because I am trying to set up where I can get a light to blink certain color when a doorbell is pressed . Both me and my wife are Deaf. At least I know I made the right decision ordering Hubitat last night! :)

Can't wait to get it!

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I just uninstall Guarding Vision and installed Hik-Connect to test it out. It pretty much functions exactly the same as Guarding Vision but the color GUI layout is different.. Playback is still in landscape mode. I haven't test the quality of notification as of yet.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

If I were Hikvision, I would use the black cover with white doorbell button. Nobody is going to mistake anything else on it as a doorbell button with a white round button sticking out like a sore thumb and a bell icon on it but that is me.

Hikivision is still using black button on white cover and trying to hide the pir and camera with black mask. I think the button is not obvious enough.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good to see someone else using Sage Doorbell sensor with this. I ordered mine off ebay for like 3 dollars and I was hoping to get it to work with Home Assistant but couldn't get it to work and after doing some searches, someone already wrote a Sage driver for Hubitat so I ordered one last night.

Now I see your post that you are using both Sage Doorbell and Hubitat with success and I am glad to see this because I am trying to set up where I can get a light to blink certain color when a doorbell is pressed . Both me and my wife are Deaf. At least I know I made the right decision ordering Hubitat last night! :)

Can't wait to get it!
Bill, I spent 3 days to make it work, and the problem in my case (other users on HE forums had the same issue) was the official driver that is embedded in HE firmware.

You might want to take a look at this post: SAGE Doorbell Sensor Driver Issue
I'm using the driver linked in the first post of that thread, that one solved all my issues with that sensor. :)

I also ordered this sensor: Doorbell Modernizr. Because I prefer wifi in my case and I don't like the fact that the SAGE is battery-powered. This sensor is powered via a 5V transformer and it supports MQTT. The downside is that HE doesn't have a driver for it, and HE does not have an official MQTT broker or client.

So I'll stick with SAGE until I found a proper way to integrate the Modernizr with HE.

If you need any help on this, feel free to drop me a PM. :)

Reaction score
Finally got around to installing Nelly's version today. The Doorbell 101 was very helpful. (Thanks!) Didn't even need to upgrade the firmware as it seemed to ship with their latest version. Was able to get recording working on my QNAP NAS via their Surveillance Station using ONVIF.

Now planning to install second doorbell for my side door. Nelly’s recommends installing a second transformer just like @David L suggested but given my electrical skills aren’t up to that task (at least yet!) I’m intrigued to what @mpking828 had been thinking about.

Any one had luck with two doors bells, one chime box/transformer and two power kits all working in harmony?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Bill, I spent 3 days to make it work, and the problem in my case (other users on HE forums had the same issue) was the official driver that is embedded in HE firmware.

You might want to take a look at this post: SAGE Doorbell Sensor Driver Issue
I'm using the driver linked in the first post of that thread, that one solved all my issues with that sensor. :)

I also ordered this sensor: Doorbell Modernizr. Because I prefer wifi in my case and I don't like the fact that the SAGE is battery-powered. This sensor is powered via a 5V transformer and it supports MQTT. The downside is that HE doesn't have a driver for it, and HE does not have an official MQTT broker or client.

So I'll stick with SAGE until I found a proper way to integrate the Modernizr with HE.

If you need any help on this, feel free to drop me a PM. :)
Thanks for the information! I am aware Sage is battery powered but Zigbee was suppose to be a low powered that the battery should like over a year in it.

I can't wait to get my HE soon.

BobDoh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone know if EzViz (or others) sell replacement powerkits? I think mine is faulty. Not even sure how to test if it is faulty, but I've been playing with integrating a relay and nothing seems to work.
On button press, I get no voltage drop across the doorbell, and voltage across the powerkit remains around 1.2VAC. (This is with chime type set to either mechanical or electronic).

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone know if EzViz (or others) sell replacement powerkits? I think mine is faulty. Not even sure how to test if it is faulty, but I've been playing with integrating a relay and nothing seems to work.
On button press, I get no voltage drop across the doorbell, and voltage across the powerkit remains around 1.2VAC. (This is with chime type set to either mechanical or electronic).
You a have a year warranty or EU 2 year warranty on your EZVIZ Doorbell. I would reach out to EZVIZ.

1581860249765.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I've got the same same same camera but I have not been able to configure it as ONVIF, only as rtsp. Did you tested the LAview firmware?View attachment 55601View attachment 55602
Sorry, I do not have the DS-HD1, I have a LaView DB. Mtoo22 posted the info about ONVIF support, I just reposted his message.
You may want to try ONVIF Manager to double check if your Doorbell's firmware does support ONVIF.

As for the LaView FW working on your Doorbell, I would reach out to Mtoo22 since he posted trying different firmwares, I just do not know which ones. See Mtoo22 Post

Please let us know of your results, thanks.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I too am a fan of how they styled their face plates, with the exception of the all black one,
but, Does the,
DS-HD1
have feature support for, any, all, or, none, of the following?
Amazon, Google, ONVIF

Thanks in Advance
We now have a few DS-HD1 owners on our Forum, hoping to get these answers for the 101.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The discussion on PIR Zones lead me to, doing a Google search for,
multi-zone PIR sensor
This lead me to the following result,
How PIRs Work
and, after reading, I'm on the fence as to weather the statement made by,
@Viet Dzung
in his post,
#2,597
is 100% accurate, because after reading about how the PIR's work it looks, as if a single PIR, actually contains two sensors, within it and then with the use of a
Fresnel lense:
The PIR's Zoning capabilities get multiplied.
So, I'm not sure that multiple PIR's are actually needed to provide the functionality suggested by the app that,
@David L
pointed out in his post,
#2,592

Please note that this is completely, speculative on my part, and I, am in no way trying to provoke argument.
Very interesting, now I know how PIR works...Thanks. So our Fresnel lens are like these just darken with a smoke type tint?

1581862386878.png

mitchrapp

n3wb
Reaction score
Can someone explain what additional features ONVIF offers with this doorbell over RTSP other than ease of finding during setup?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I
Can someone explain what additional features ONVIF offers with this doorbell over RTSP other than ease of finding during setup?
I’m not using ONVIF but one of features I am aware of is that it will flag motion detected in NVR playback timeline and tampering alarms etc.

phatboyj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I

I’m not using ONVIF but one of features I am aware of is that it will flag motion detected in NVR playback timeline and tampering alarms etc.
Also
I think the biggest advantage to us is that
it gives us a native way to access still images from a live feed
to do with as you please

Otherwise if you do a simple search of this thread for ONVIF someone has done a post that list all of the various little advantages of ONVIF in full detail but it was a while back so I can't remember which post or who So again search is your friend

Last edited:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Look like iOS EZVIZ app has an update few days ago but the update log is the same log as the update before this one

phatboyj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hopefully one day we will see ONVIF support on that Update List.
One can only hope,
but,
I will not be holding my breath,
especially,
after reading some of the responses (from the EZVIZ seller) about ONVIF support in the Question section of the Amazon product page for the EZVIZ version

Last edited: