New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi folks - I have an EZVIZ DB1 and a QNAP. I am trying to get the QNAP to motion record based on the on-doorbell motion sensor. I have it set up right now as a generic RTSP camera.

After reading the 101, it seems like I may be out of luck since the EZVIZ DB1 doesnt support ONVIF. Am I connecting the dots correctly?

Came across this forum after purchase and install...
Yes dots are correct.
In order to add ONVIF support to your DB1 there are 3 options/firmware. LaView's, Nelly's and Hikvision firmware. Of course there is a drawback when moving to one of these firmwares, that is the loss of Google and Alexa support. LaView does have Alexa support but not Google. Nelly's and Hikvision has neither. There are other ways around this but it requires 3rd party Apps.

Hope the helps...

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Question about the Guarding Vision app, I have not been able to figure something out. I setup the account on my phone then shared with my wife which she installed on her phone with “all permissions,” yet there is not way to change notification settings on her phone. I have had to change PIR settings because of too many false events, I don’t get these notifications any longer but she does. Looking for any tips on fixing this issue. It looks like the Hikvision app is identical albeit different UI color, haven’t tried either the Laview or RCA app but curious if one is better than the other.
I know this is not the answer you are looking for but I just wanted to chime in. I tried the shared App with my wife and after calling LaView's Tech. Support they suggested not using it. So I just setup the App on my wife's phone with my same user account. It works for us. We both have the same settings. One thing you can play with is the phone's notification per App. That is allowing or Not an App to post notifications on your phone. I have a few Apps on my phone I have turned off notifications on since they were too many.

Hope this helps some...

gnuB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Be sure and check out the Batch Configuration Tool you can adjust volume there, but not DB ring volume. Only EZVIZ firmware is able to do that with EZVIZ App, at this time.
Not being able to lower the outside doorbell ding dong is unfortunate it is really, really loud! When you are in the Batch tool there are two mic sliders, trying to adjust either does not appear to actually lower the volume for me. Whenever someone calls to the door and you answer it’s almost like you are yelling, the entire block can hear lol. Just curious what other people’s setting is here, maybe there is some combination I’m missing.

Pliable Pixels

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not being able to lower the outside doorbell ding dong is unfortunate it is really, really loud! When you are in the Batch tool there are two mic sliders, trying to adjust either does not appear to actually lower the volume for me. Whenever someone calls to the door and you answer it’s almost like you are yelling, the entire block can hear lol. Just curious what other people’s setting is here, maybe there is some combination I’m missing.
I agree. I emailed product support to get this implemented. Please email them as well - the more the better.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I remember pete_c stating he had success in the volume settings.

Diabolic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wanted to follow up on the install of onvif2mqtt. For those so noobish as to not understand how to even get this installed i present a totally noob friendly guide.

This is just how to get this installed on a synology nas running docker, but this possibly could be used for other HA install methods.

So step 1 which is critical you need to install git,nano editor, and most importantly nodejs V8, from the synology community package manager. I had trouble getting git so I had to manual install that one from the community online page. It was easy to find but I had to figure out how to do a manual install, again just an upload.

Then you can follow this list of commands both borrowed from pete above but also borrowed from the original install instructions here: dmitrif/onvif2mqtt and then back to pete.

1. run:: docker pull dfarkov/onvif2mqtt:latest

2. git clone dmitrif/onvif2mqtt (I feel like this does the same as step 1 but I dont think so)

3. cd ./onvif2mqtt

4. npm install <-- installing via nodejs

5. nano config.dev.yml (from Pete C.) <--This part is where you edit the config with your mqtt broker info (IE home assistant IP & your cameara info with DB1 admin & confirmation code) see here: dmitrif/onvif2mqtt NOTE: I believe there are no other parameters but idk, so I just copied this changing the details as above.

6. cp config.dev.yml /opt/onvif2mqtt/config.yml <-- copying your config from dev to production.

7. docker run -d --name="onvif2mqtt" -v /opt/onvif2mqtt:/config -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro --net=host --restart always dfarkov/onvif2mqtt <-- running the onvif2mqtt with restart always after reboot of synology and hass.io container.

8. "docker ps" command to make sure that it is running.

9. Then to test the MQTT output on motion. Go google "MQTT Explorer" and configure it to your Mosquitto server IP again your home assistant IP.

UPDATE: I added a few more steps as I completed them and so far its working upto step 10, im stuck there.

10. You should see mqtt2onvif / doorbell there. Then trigger it and look at MQTT Explorer and you should see motion on and off. I still dont see any triggers here so I am trying to figure out what I did wrong.

11. Build a card for it in HA. Just go to unused devices and you will see the MQTT doorbell sensor. Make a card and you should be good to go. Here added it to my RTSP Doorbell video card.
I have yet to complete step 11 also.

So there I am stuck on step 10. I will update when I get past step 10 and will post another update.

THANKS all.
Still stuck on part 10 from above.

Could it be that in the config I have something wrong:

mqtt:
host: 127.0.0.1 <- home assistant IP right?
port: 1883
onvif:
- name: device_name <-- name of device known to home assistant? Or maybe it dose not matter?
hostname: 127.0.0.1 <-- camera IP
port: 80 <-- assuming this is correct
username: admin
password: confirm code

The port onvif is port 80, not 554 right? Also host above is your home assistant mosquitto broker client correct? (camera-> onvif2mqtt -> mqtt broker -> home assistant action).

I dont see on | off under mqtt explorer so I am assuming I did something wrong.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes here lowered the volume when I first got the doorbell and tested it cuz it was way too loud. Thinking I used the batch configuration program to do that...also some time made the PIR zone smaller as it only triggers now if you are right in front of it which works for me.

Don't pay much attention to it these days. Many delivery folks do not ring the doorbell. Mostly it is Amazon that doesn't ring the doorbell. USPS, FedEx and UPS always ring the doorbell.

Pliable Pixels

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes here lowered the volume when I first got the doorbell and tested it cuz it was way too loud. Thinking I used the batch configuration program to do that...also some time made the PIR zone smaller as it only triggers now if you are right in front of it which works for me.
Would be great if you remembered how - I barely see any options on BC tool to do any settings (see attachment). Do I need to enable something? I did not use one touch configure etc - I think I read somewhere I should not mess with the password.

Attachments

davidew98

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you David. So I checked to see if LaView has a newer version but it looks like the same July 29, 2019 build. I think Diabolic saw the firmware update message since the LaView firmware he had on his DB1 showed an older # in the App than the newer EZVIZ firmware so he was prompted to update. I have experienced this too.

View attachment 60374
Is there a way to snoop their whole directory for each product to lok for firmware files, old, new, beta

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would be great if you remembered how - I barely see any options on BC tool to do any settings (see attachment). Do I need to enable something? I did not use one touch configure etc - I think I read somewhere I should not mess with the password.
Just hit Refresh. And Checkmark your Camera. The Gear wheel is Settings.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a way to snoop their whole directory for each product to lok for firmware files, old, new, beta
Maybe, but what we have found, the firmware filenames seem to remain the same with each upgrade. They may have an Archive directory.

Pliable Pixels

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just hit Refresh. And Checkmark your Camera. The Gear wheel is Settings.
Interestingly, in my view, there is no "settings gear" after checking/refresh. It's possible I'm missing something. I am able to configure it via IVMS-4200, so it's not a biggie. See attached BC screenshot after checking/refresh. The only two gears are at the bottom, which are related to One-Touch apply and one- touch configure, both of which ask me to change a password, which I have avoided because I read somewhere is this epic thread that we should never change passwords using this tool.

Now if @pete_c remembers how he reduced volume, this would be an A+ situation for me (already at A)!

Attachments

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interestingly, in my view, there is no "settings gear" after checking/refresh. It's possible I'm missing something. I am able to configure it via IVMS-4200, so it's not a biggie. See attached BC screenshot after checking/refresh. The only two gears are at the bottom, which are related to One-Touch apply and one- touch configure, both of which ask me to change a password, which I have avoided because I read somewhere is this epic thread that we should never change passwords using this tool.

Now if @pete_c remembers how he reduced volume, this would be an A+ situation for me (already at A)!
In Remote Configuration it is under Image/Video & Audio:

1587997628224.png

Pliable Pixels

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In Remote Configuration it is under Image/Video & Audio:
Yes, though you posted a screenshot of IVMS, not Batch configuration tool. In the Batch Config app (screenshot I posted), there is no remote config option. Note that I am on a mac - don't know if another OS has a different version of the same tool.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, though you posted a screenshot of IVMS, not Batch configuration tool. In the Batch Config app (screenshot I posted), there is no remote config option. Note that I am on a mac - don't know if another OS has a different version of the same tool.
Hmmm, loaded Batch Config Tool. The Remote Configuration are the same in both, only issue is iVMS-4200 sometimes does not show the CCD option I think that is one of the reasons most here use the Batch Tool, also it loads faster.

1587998552270.png

Attachments