New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone using Blue Iris with these? It was working great for me until a few days ago (firmware has been on Laview for many month, working fine). This is what Blue Iris shows on the web page, on the windows app, and the BI android app... until I connect to the doorbell with the Ezview app, then BI shows it correctly... 10-20 seconds later, bam... back to the odd partial view.

ideas?

Attachments

Flober

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello there, I've read this thread to find the informations I was looking for but some things are still unclear to me.
I have a mechanical chime and would like to use this DB to get notifications on my phone and to record the rtsp stream on my Synology NAS, Google service would be the cherry on the top but I can live without it. Since I'm not a big fan of cloud based solutions, I'd like to be able to record and use this DB even if the manufacturer shut down his cloud.

Which DB should I buy and is it possible to access the rtsp stream if the DB don't support Onvif like the ezviz ? Are those 2 differents protocols ?
Also it seams the ezviz is the most commonly available here but the app don't allow to set a mechanical chime anymore, I don't care having to download another app to set this correctly but will it last over time ? I'd like to configure my DB and forget about it for years.

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello there, I've read this thread to find the informations I was looking for but some things are still unclear to me.
I have a mechanical chime and would like to use this DB to get notifications on my phone and to record the rtsp stream on my Synology NAS, Google service would be the cherry on the top but I can live without it. Since I'm not a big fan of cloud based solutions, I'd like to be able to record and use this DB even if the manufacturer shut down his cloud.

Which DB should I buy and is it possible to access the rtsp stream if the DB don't support Onvif like the ezviz ? Are those 2 differents protocols ?
Also it seams the ezviz is the most commonly available here but the app don't allow to set a mechanical chime anymore, I don't care having to download another app to set this correctly but will it last over time ? I'd like to configure my DB and forget about it for years.
Welcome to this forum. First if all did you read page 101? There you will find almost everything you need to know.
if you wish to receive notifications without connecting to the manufacturers cloud you probably need a doorbell sensor too, which can send a signal to somekind of homesecurity system. There are a lot of people here who can explain in more detail. Rtsp is a streaming protocol which will work outside of the cloud. Onvif is a protocol which is used for standardizing queries to functionality of an ip camera.
So you do not need onvif to access the videostreaming.
When you install the ezviz db + app for the first time you can select the type of chime you have connected. Afterwards ezviz does not have that selection anymore, but you can stiil use the Guardian Vision app to select the type of doorbell. Hope this helps a bit.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With QR barcode, all digital manufacture is trying to do away with manual and support. They know majority of their customers don't RTFM and they are trying to use app to guide customers step by step process of installing and setting up their products with little or zero involvement from customer / tech support service. This is why many of the products now come with a card inside the box stating first to download the app and follow the step by step in the app.
I have to say the Nest Thermostat was my easiest of all installs, using their App you matched the wire color of your existing Thermostat to what terminals they were connected to in their App and the App showed you where your wires needed to go on the Nest. Really great job on their part.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - In the last week I opened my EZVIZ app to connect to my EZVIZ doorbell and it warned me that if I continue to access my cam from the EZVIZ app that access from other programs will STOP and that I had to chose which app I wanted to use and stick to it.
First off I like your Signature list, you have comcat for Comcast fyi.

So what firmware are you running? Is it EZVIZ firmware? Also, what other App are you using other than EZVIZ?

So far on my LaView DB with LaView firmware I have not got any messages using the EZVIZ App, so guess they are ok with this setup, I am guessing they don't want multiple logins with the same DB on their cloud.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Hi there. First of all, read the 101 in this thread, you'll find most of the answers there.

1. Chime: mechanical chimes are supported. You configure it when you setup the doorbell the first time.
2. Notifications: you can configure the mobile app to send notifications on your phone
3. Synology Surveillance Station: I use SSS with my DB1, you can configure it manually in SSS (configuring RTSP urls) or automatically via ONVIF, but you need to use an ONVIF firmware, I recommend Hikvision's.
4. Google Home: if you buy a DB1 and install Hikvision firmware, you'll have not only ONVIF but also Google Home and Alexa support.
5. Cloud: you don't need to use any kind of cloud service, many of us chose this product exactly because we don't want to depend on the cloud, it's all LAN after the initial setup. You can record on NAS, or on SD Card, or both.
6. RTSP/ONVIF: RTSP is always available, in every firmware. ONVIF is only a way to more easily configure and integrate the camera in a 3rd party software solution.
7. EZVIZ app: in last version of the app, you can only configure the chime when you setup the doorbell the first time. Then they removed the option to configure it once installed. But you can use another mobile app in that case.

Hope I answered to all your questions/doubts. :)

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
FYI - In the last week I opened my EZVIZ app to connect to my EZVIZ doorbell and it warned me that if I continue to access my cam from the EZVIZ app that access from other programs will STOP and that I had to chose which app I wanted to use and stick to it.
I see from the signature that you're using a 256Gb SDcard with the DB1, does it support all 256Gb or did you format it at 128Gb? There was some rumor that latest fw supported 256Gb Sdcards but never read anyone confirming this.

Thanks.

nepats197

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all, new this this thread. I just got the DB1 installed today without issue. Mechanical chime works fine as well and overall fairly happy so far. I had a few questions I can't seem to find the answer for and after reading through 101. Apologies if it's already been answered elsewhere in this thread. I have the EZVIZ firmware (V5.2.4 build 191211) & app installed.

1) Is there an option to share/ download a PIR video? In the EZVIZ app, when I go to the PIR Alarm list, select a video and then Playback, I don't see an option to download it or share. I only see an option to share the gif of the playback.

2) Each time I try to turn on WDR in Batch Configuration, it errors and then crashes. Can WDR be turned on or is this a known bug?

3) I can probably figure this out with trial and error, but if I want to review remotely do I just port forward 554 to the internal IP? Or is that only needed if using an RTSP streaming interface like Tinycam Pro. Looks like a static IP can be set in Batch Config Tool which I'd prefer to use. Is this how everyone else sets it? Thanks in advance

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) Is there an option to share/ download a PIR video? In the EZVIZ app, when I go to the PIR Alarm list, select a video and then Playback, I don't see an option to download it or share. I only see an option to share the gif of the playback.
In Batch Config Tool/Remote Configuration/Storage/File, you can download your videos just select your Date Range.

2) Each time I try to turn on WDR in Batch Configuration, it errors and then crashes. Can WDR be turned on or is this a known bug?
TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS:
⦁ If you are having problems with Batch Config Tool version 3.0.3.8 crashing, download version 3.0.2.6 for fix - just2bad

3) I can probably figure this out with trial and error, but if I want to review remotely do I just port forward 554 to the internal IP? Or is that only needed if using an RTSP streaming interface like Tinycam Pro. Looks like a static IP can be set in Batch Config Tool which I'd prefer to use. Is this how everyone else sets it? Thanks in advance
I did not set a static IP on my Doorbell I just reserved an IP in my Router via DHCP Static Mapping (pfSense), you can do this in most any router, just need the MAC address of your Doorbell.
Tip on Reviewing Remotely (Outside of your Network); It is advised to enter your Network via a VPN.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone using Blue Iris with these? It was working great for me until a few days ago (firmware has been on Laview for many month, working fine). This is what Blue Iris shows on the web page, on the windows app, and the BI android app... until I connect to the doorbell with the Ezview app, then BI shows it correctly... 10-20 seconds later, bam... back to the odd partial view.

ideas?
Hmmm, I do not know what to tell you, I run 24/7 streaming to BI but have not setup a web page yet or use the BI App. Weird, almost sounds like a sleep mode in BI or Doorbell of some sort, but I am not aware of one. I would try streaming via VLC and see if BI stays alive in your web page or BI App, I know this is not a fix just a test. Again, I am at a lost, hopefully someone here will Chime in for you.
⦁ RTSP Streaming for VLC (VideoLAN Media Player) Under Media/Open Network Stream (Ctrl+N)...Enter your RTSP Link/Info for Live Video Stream

You might search or post a message here:

Last edited:

nepats197

n3wb
Reaction score
In Batch Config Tool/Remote Configuration/Storage/File, you can download your videos just select your Date Range.

TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS:
⦁ If you are having problems with Batch Config Tool version 3.0.3.8 crashing, download version 3.0.2.6 for fix - just2bad

I did not set a static IP on my Doorbell I just reserved an IP in my Router via DHCP Static Mapping (pfSense), you can do this in most any router, just need the MAC address of your Doorbell.
Tip on Reviewing Remotely (Outside of your Network); It is advised to enter your Network via a VPN.
Thanks David L. So just to clarify, no option within the EZVIZ app itself to download/ share a recorded video? This can only be done within Batch Config? I'll check out v 3.0.2.6.

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks David L. So just to clarify, no option within the EZVIZ app itself to download/ share a recorded video? This can only be done within Batch Config? I'll check out v 3.0.2.6.
I ‘m not sure because I don’t use the ezviz app any more, but there is an option to record the video on tour phone while playing the pir video. Never used it but saw a button.

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello all, new this this thread. I just got the DB1 installed today without issue. Mechanical chime works fine as well and overall fairly happy so far. I had a few questions I can't seem to find the answer for and after reading through 101. Apologies if it's already been answered elsewhere in this thread. I have the EZVIZ firmware (V5.2.4 build 191211) & app installed.

I haven't used Ezviz app in a while since I record to my NVR. In the past when I was traveling and have issues with VPN back to my NVR, I would use Ezviz app to share by 1) select PIR recorded video you are interested in 2) click on Playback button 3) click on Video Camera icon to save the entire video or clipped section you're interested in 4) lastly share that saved video that has been downloaded to your phone. Hope that helps.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I haven't used Ezviz app in a while since I record to my NVR. In the past when I was traveling and have issues with VPN back to my NVR, I would use Ezviz app to share by 1) select PIR recorded video you are interested in 2) click on Playback button 3) click on Video Camera icon to save the entire video or clipped section you're interested in 4) lastly share that saved video that has been downloaded to your phone. Hope that helps.
That's the only way to do it on the mobile app.

@David L probably this could go in 101, what do you think?

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have to say the Nest Thermostat was my easiest of all installs, using their App you matched the wire color of your existing Thermostat to what terminals they were connected to in their App and the App showed you where your wires needed to go on the Nest. Really great job on their part.
@David L I agree 100%, the Nest was a breeze to install and setup. Only problem was they don't have anything for "Hot Water Baseboard" heating. This does not affect the operation of the thermostat only the estimate on when it will reach the temp you set.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's the only way to do it on the mobile app.

@David L probably this could go in 101, what do you think?
Agreed, good catch...Do you know if other Apps have a Share Option too or is it just the EZVIZ App?

Also, what is your take on us being forced to only use one App, they are setting a deadline of 08-01-2020?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@David L I agree 100%, the Nest was a breeze to install and setup. Only problem was they don't have anything for "Hot Water Baseboard" heating. This does not affect the operation of the thermostat only the estimate on when it will reach the temp you set.
Interesting, have not heard of that type of heating before, though living down South we rarely have to use our heater. But boy do we run our A/C units down here, during this time of the year it runs almost non-stop.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Agreed, good catch...Do you know if other Apps have a Share Option too or is it just the EZVIZ App?

Also, what is your take on us being forced to only use one App, they are setting a deadline of 08-01-2020?

The other apps does have share options.