New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

wisegeek

n3wb
Reaction score
You could try downloading Guarding Vision app. In the app you will find a setting for the type of chime you use. You should be able to log in with your EZviz account. The EZviz app you can still use. Alterbative: delete the db from your ezviz app and add it again with your ezviz account. You should be able to set the type of chime again, but only during setup.
Its the same thing, I wsas able to download and login using EZ VIZ credentials like you said, it was already on mechanical chime option.I tried changing it to back and again it wont work.

BTW who is the publisher of the Guarding Vision app?

I already have tried removing / deleting and resetting the DB1 and adding it again, what could be the issue???

The chime works on shorting the wires directly :(

chewbucka

n3wb
Reaction score
Guys, I have a very weird problem, would really appreciate some help.

My EZ DB1 was working well on the stock firmware for last 6+ months, then i guess some new FW updates came through and now I have this weird problem where the Doorbell is working, powered on shows camera feed.But the mechanical chime, is not ringing.

I have a mechanical chime, so I am indeed using the power thing that came with the DB1, and it was working well.

I tried

• Resetting the doorbell multiple times, and choosing mechanical chime at initial setup
  • Removed the mechanical chime cover and made sure nothing came off is loose
  • the Door bell itself DB1 is not loose on the bell wires.
I recently flashed the Hikvision 200321 firware to my RCA HSDB2. Everything was working until either yesterday or today when I noticed that the mechanical chime wasn't working when the doorbell was pressed. I deleted it from the EZVIZ app and then re-added it. I selected the mechanical chime option during setup and then tested afterwards. My mechanical chime now works again.

I did not upgrade to a new firmware from the time I initially updated the firmware when it was working several days ago, until now. I'll keep an ear on it for the next several days to make sure that it continues to work.

chewbucka

n3wb
Reaction score
Its the same thing, I wsas able to download and login using EZ VIZ credentials like you said, it was already on mechanical chime option.I tried changing it to back and again it wont work.

I already have tried removing / deleting and resetting the DB1 and adding it again, what could be the issue???

I was unable to login using my EZVIZ credentials to the guarding vision app, so I just removed my DB from EZVIZ and then re-added it. In my case, the mechanical chime started working again.

chewbucka

n3wb
Reaction score
In case anyone else has run into this issue, I discovered something recently when trying to de-bug why I couldn't view my doorbell recordings from the EZVIZ app on Windows 10. I had the same issue when I was using the RCA Security app (before flashing to the latest Hikvision firmware on my HSDB2). Whenever I would attempt to view the recordings, I would just get an "Operation failed" message.

If I turned off my wi-fi on my mobile phone when using the mobile app, then I was able to view the recordings, so this led me to troubleshooting something in my network.

On my firewall, I have an option which validates that SSL certificates are not expired and not running SSL protocols older than TLSv1 and will block access to sites that don't meet the requirements. This is not SSL decryption, which I found doesn't work with the EZVIZ app due to certificate pinning when trying to communicate with api.ezvizlife.com when first logging in.

I sent an email to EZVIZ support with my findings, so hopefully they can resolve the issue. Here's a copy of the email that I sent to them:

Code:
After launching the EZVIZ app on Android or on Windows 10, I'm seeing an issue trying to view any recordings by the camera. I would keep getting an "operation failed" message.

In my environment, I have a firewall that is validating the SSL certificates for any sites visited on the internet and I discovered that there were two issues that were preventing connection to the cloud server.

Through packet captures, I found that the application was connecting to 52.72.248.169 right after connecting to the site apiius.ezvizlife.com (52.70.201.6 and 54.209.237.107)

1) the SSL protocol being used by 52.72.248.169 is SSL v3 which is blocked by default due to being an outdated protocol.
2) the certificate being used by 52.72.248.169 has expired. The certificate is a wildcard certificate for *.ezvizlife.com and expired on 19-06-17 01:25:05 (UTC). The serial number of this certificate is 00ec74493432526c980000000050dce249 with the following subject: CN=*.ezvizlife.com, C=CN, ST=Zhejiang, L=Hangzhou, O=Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co.,Ltd.

On my firewall, I'm not sure what the fqdn of the site is that the application is trying to connect. All I can see is that it's trying to reach the *.ezvizlife.com certificate using the SSL application on port 6500.

Here's a screenshot of the firewall log.

[ATTACH type="full"]68798[/ATTACH]
Hopefully they know who to send this to to get this resolved. The ezvizlife.com website has a newer certificate and also uses TLSv1.2, so not sure why this other server on AWS doesn't have an updated certificate. It's possible that the devices/apps are using certificate pinning and haven't been updated with the new certificate since it would break all the cameras. Really poor design if that is the reason for not updating the expired and less secure certificate and protocol that is being used.

For now, I had to put in an exclusion to disable certificate validation for the *.ezvizlife.com URL destinations so that I can get this working on my network. I'm not thrilled to allow an expired cert and more importantly, a very insecure SSL protocol on the network.

Attachments

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In case anyone else has run into this issue, I discovered something recently when trying to de-bug why I couldn't view my doorbell recordings from the EZVIZ app on Windows 10. I had the same issue when I was using the RCA Security app (before flashing to the latest Hikvision firmware on my HSDB2). Whenever I would attempt to view the recordings, I would just get an "Operation failed" message.

If I turned off my wi-fi on my mobile phone when using the mobile app, then I was able to view the recordings, so this led me to troubleshooting something in my network.

On my firewall, I have an option which validates that SSL certificates are not expired and not running SSL protocols older than TLSv1 and will block access to sites that don't meet the requirements. This is not SSL decryption, which I found doesn't work with the EZVIZ app due to certificate pinning when trying to communicate with api.ezvizlife.com when first logging in.

I sent an email to EZVIZ support with my findings, so hopefully they can resolve the issue. Here's a copy of the email that I sent to them:

Hopefully they know who to send this to to get this resolved. The ezvizlife.com website has a newer certificate and also uses TLSv1.2, so not sure why this other server on AWS doesn't have an updated certificate. It's possible that the devices/apps are using certificate pinning and haven't been updated with the new certificate since it would break all the cameras. Really poor design if that is the reason for not updating the expired and less secure certificate and protocol that is being used.

For now, I had to put in an exclusion to disable certificate validation for the *.ezvizlife.com URL destinations so that I can get this working on my network. I'm not thrilled to allow an expired cert and more importantly, a very insecure SSL protocol on the network.
Great find. Thanks for sharing it. That's why it only affected specific people.

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Yeah, now I’m puzzled too. Could you check if there is anything moving ir buzzing at all in yh chime while pressing th DB1? You do get notifications when the db is pressed? And the outside chime in the db1 is working as well. So it is not the pressbutten itself?

JimEPage

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
DB sends video to the cloud only if it's configured to do so, and even in that case, it doesn't need a lot of bandwidth, more likely cpu requirement than bandwidth. I guess if someone uses an NVR it's because he doesn't rely on the cloud. So I don't think that's the problem.

You need to watch the recording on the SD Card and see if there's any interruption, if not, it's a problem related to the stream sent to BI. I don't know how BI works, if it opens another stream or what, but you need to first see if local recordings have the same problem, in order to exclude BI (or other sw NVR).
Ok, I'll give that a shot and see if the clips have interruptions. Thanks for the reply.

Repster

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I have just purchased a UK DB1. I am using it without a chime and have run new bell wire as there was not any prior to this. Once power connected I heard the startup voice and started to pair to network. I lost WIFI during setup so tried to reset. For some reason I can't get any lights to show. I have tried pressing the reset button for between 5-15 seconds and turned all power off at the circuit board but to no avail.

Any clues please? the attached is my wiring

Attachments

wisegeek

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, now I’m puzzled too. Could you check if there is anything moving ir buzzing at all in yh chime while pressing th DB1? You do get notifications when the db is pressed? And the outside chime in the db1 is working as well. So it is not the pressbutten itself?
Weird, when I press the doorbell on DB1 it makes a chime (audio on) on the DB1 unit and also on the APP it does push and start showing the camera.

The only thing I have not yet tried is , can I revert back to an Older DB1 firmware? Where would I find that .

Reset / delete and add is not helping at all.

Thanks,

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Weird, when I press the doorbell on DB1 it makes a chime (audio on) on the DB1 unit and also on the APP it does push and start showing the camera.

The only thing I have not yet tried is , can I revert back to an Older DB1 firmware? Where would I find that .

Thanks,
So the button works. Do you see or hear anything when you open the chime pressing the button? There are other people here who can advice you on FW change.

Ip2b

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As follow-up, I was having buffering/choppy live view video using iVMS-4200. I switched to VLC and it's not as choppy (still not as smooth when playing back recording video, but it is ok). Thinking it was the power supply (16 V 10A), I decided to upgrade that to (16V 30A). After an hour, iVMS-4200 live view went right back to the buffering/choppy view. No idea what the issue is, but it never did this when I watched on a web browner through the NVR software prior (can't do that anymore because I can't find any browsers that work). By the way VLC isn't a solution either, as it stops playing the live view after a few hours (no idea why, as the video is not interrupted at all).

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Thanks,
What firmware version are you running? You updated EZVIZ right? You did not switch to another brand, correct? We have a list of firmwares in our 101
I have these 3 EZVIZ firmware versions:

1597717930377.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I just checked RCA, Nelly's, LaView, Hikvision & EZVIZ firmware sites to make sure the 101 is up to date and it is, there are no new firmwares at this time.

Here is my list of saved firmwares:

1597719637832.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I have just purchased a UK DB1. I am using it without a chime and have run new bell wire as there was not any prior to this. Once power connected I heard the startup voice and started to pair to network. I lost WIFI during setup so tried to reset. For some reason I can't get any lights to show. I have tried pressing the reset button for between 5-15 seconds and turned all power off at the circuit board but to no avail.

I am from the US so your transformer I am not familiar with, but we have several EU owners here who could help. I assume you checked voltages at your Doorbell since you said you are not getting anymore lights on the Doorbell to make sure you still have power, if not I would check that...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As follow-up, I was having buffering/choppy live view video using iVMS-4200. I switched to VLC and it's not as choppy (still not as smooth when playing back recording video, but it is ok). Thinking it was the power supply (16 V 10A), I decided to upgrade that to (16V 30A). After an hour, iVMS-4200 live view went right back to the buffering/choppy view. No idea what the issue is, but it never did this when I watched on a web browner through the NVR software prior (can't do that anymore because I can't find any browsers that work). By the way VLC isn't a solution either, as it stops playing the live view after a few hours (no idea why, as the video is not interrupted at all).
Dumb question but you don't have any power settings that turn off your Network Card or MAC after a hour do you? I am not familiar with MACs, but I do make sure my PC power settings don't sleep, except for my Monitor. Do you have another MAC, PC or Tablet to try VLC? Just want to eliminate those as any cause.
Good that you eliminated power as your issue, trust me it was still a wise purchase if you plan to 24/7 stream. I have had no problems streaming, except when I was playing with my new Access Points, but it was only that one day of config. I too changed out my 16v 10va...
Hang in there, you will eventually find your problem...

Thanks for the follow-up...

Ip2b

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dumb question but you don't have any power settings that turn off your Network Card or MAC after a hour do you? I am not familiar with MACs, but I do make sure my PC power settings don't sleep, except for my Monitor. Do you have another MAC, PC or Tablet to try VLC? Just want to eliminate those as any cause.
Good that you eliminated power as your issue, trust me it was still a wise purchase if you plan to 24/7 stream. I have had no problems streaming, except when I was playing with my new Access Points, but it was only that one day of config. I too changed out my 16v 10va...
Hang in there, you will eventually find your problem...

Thanks for the follow-up...

Never a dumb question, yes, the MAC has the ability, but I don't use it (nor anything like that for a Network card). I do have another computer I can try to use with VLC, not sure why it stops after a while (iMVS-42000 never stops when in live view). Yes, the transformer was old, so it was probably time to replace it anyways. I appreciate you still trying to help out :) I think a lot of it has to do with the iVMS-4200 software I'm using, especially since VLC looks pretty smooth, even after letting it go for after an hour. I guess the alternative is trying another ip cam viewer out there. I'm sure this is a simple issue, I just can't figure it out :) What still confuses me is how playback looks smooth...never any buffering.....strange.

Repster

n3wb
Reaction score

Resolved. Took out the power kit as I presumed this was required. Fitted bell wires directly to transformer and it kicked back in to life :) All up and running now, time to add to NVR etc :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Resolved. Took out the power kit as I presumed this was required. Fitted bell wires directly to transformer and it kicked back in to life :) All up and running now, time to add to NVR etc :)
Glad you are back up.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Never a dumb question, yes, the MAC has the ability, but I don't use it (nor anything like that for a Network card). I do have another computer I can try to use with VLC, not sure why it stops after a while (iMVS-42000 never stops when in live view). Yes, the transformer was old, so it was probably time to replace it anyways. I appreciate you still trying to help out :) I think a lot of it has to do with the iVMS-4200 software I'm using, especially since VLC looks pretty smooth, even after letting it go for after an hour. I guess the alternative is trying another ip cam viewer out there. I'm sure this is a simple issue, I just can't figure it out :) What still confuses me is how playback looks smooth...never any buffering.....strange.
I think if you just keep trying different things like you are doing you will run across the fix. It's all about a matter of elimination in troubleshooting. I have learned to take notes, it is easy to forget after awhile what worked and what didn't. This Forum is a good way to go back and reread messages/notes. This is how we help most here, I usually search their messages and see what all they have tried to solve their issues in order to help them further. What still gets me is remembering what brand hardware everyone has and which firmware. This helps us a lot. That is why you will see a lot of us list ours in our signatures. Another big help is where someone is from, EU has much different power which opens a whole different can of worms, or should I say electric eels? :)

Let us know your resolve...