New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Resolved. Took out the power kit as I presumed this was required. Fitted bell wires directly to transformer and it kicked back in to life :) All up and running now, time to add to NVR etc :)
We are still not sure how the powerkit is working exactly. It is quite a pcb full of electronics. We assume it regulates the power when the db-button is pressed. So both the chime and the db get enough power during that time. So the camera still records when pressing the db? It is not interrupted now you took out the powerkit?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We are still not sure how the powerkit is working exactly. It is quite a pcb full of electronics. We assume it regulates the power when the db-button is pressed. So both the chime and the db get enough power during that time. So the camera still records when pressing the db? It is not interrupted now you took out the powerkit?
He does not have a Chime.

Hi, I have just purchased a UK DB1. I am using it without a chime and have run new bell wire as there was not any prior to this. Once power connected I heard the startup voice and started to pair to network. I lost WIFI during setup so tried to reset. For some reason I can't get any lights to show. I have tried pressing the reset button for between 5-15 seconds and turned all power off at the circuit board but to no avail.

Any clues please? the attached is my wiring

Reaction score
Newly registered but have been lurking for 6 months after installing an ezviz db1, running the ezviz firmware, version 5.2.4, build 191211. (Have read almost every page of this thread and not found anyone mentioning this issue.)

Sometime in the last week or two I've become unable to access playback from the motion detection events in the mobile app (ezviz) on Android or iOS. I can connect to the live feed just fine but if I click on an event for playback it acts like it's loading to about 70-90ish percent and then gives an error message "Video playback failed (245416)."

The camera app doesn't show any issues with the SD card but I haven't tried to reformat it yet (will try that tomorrow). Since I can view the live feed I don't suspect it's an issue with my network connection or bandwidth. I haven't tried deleting and setting up as a new camera either.

Has anyone else run into this? Searching the internet, I find a few people with hik vision cameras and the same error code asking questions but noone getting answers.

Thanks for any ideas you have.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Newly registered but have been lurking for 6 months after installing an ezviz db1, running the ezviz firmware, version 5.2.4, build 191211. (Have read almost every page of this thread and not found anyone mentioning this issue.)

Sometime in the last week or two I've become unable to access playback from the motion detection events in the mobile app (ezviz) on Android or iOS. I can connect to the live feed just fine but if I click on an event for playback it acts like it's loading to about 70-90ish percent and then gives an error message "Video playback failed (245416)."

The camera app doesn't show any issues with the SD card but I haven't tried to reformat it yet (will try that tomorrow). Since I can view the live feed I don't suspect it's an issue with my network connection or bandwidth. I haven't tried deleting and setting up as a new camera either.

Has anyone else run into this? Searching the internet, I find a few people with hik vision cameras and the same error code asking questions but noone getting answers.

So I had a similar issue around the 6th month in which I found my SD Card was full, once I reformatted it all was fine. Don't remember the error code number though I was getting.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Let us know if you solve the problem formatting the SD Card, I'm more keen to think that it is a network or power issue. Never happened to me but I suspect one of those issues.

Do you a have a firewall between your phone and the camera? Is the camera on the same LAN/subnet/vlan of the mobile phone? What transformer are you using?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Let us know if you solve the problem formatting the SD Card, I'm more keen to think that it is a network or power issue. Never happened to me but I suspect one of those issues.

Do you a have a firewall between your PC and the camera? Is the camera on the same LAN/subnet/vlan of the mobile phone? What transformer are you using?
Thanks for the quick suggestions, everyone!

TLDR: Fixed by flipping the breaker on and off. Complete troubleshooting details/steps of what didn't work below in case other people are curious.

------

So, I formatted the card via the app. That didn't stop the "Video playback failed (245416)." error. So I dug out a T6 screwdriver so I could remove the card and check it out in my computer. In the computer, it looked like the card was full with a bunch of 263ish MB .mp4 files, but when you try to open them, the video software says they're corrupted, despite just having formatted it. So I formatted the 64gb MicroSD card in my computer (Ex-fat) and put it back in the doorbell. At that point, the doorbell was saying something like "Storage Exception" in settings portion of the app, and it said the card needed to be formatted. So I formatted it and still wasn't able to playback the motion-detection clips that I made after replacing and formatting the card.

I brought the card back to my computer and it appeared like it was full of 263ish MB despite having just formatted (still unable to open on the computer). Thinking that perhaps the card was bad, I grabbed another 32Gb card from a different manufacturer and formatted that in my computer (FAT32) and put it in the DB1 because it said it needed to be formatted again (do these use NTFS? I'll have to check next time I pull a card). Playback of recorded files was still failing with the same error. I pulled the 32gb card and saw the same issue with the card already seeming full of 263ish MB mp4 files that wouldn't open/play.

I tried deleting the doorbell from the EzViz app and then setting it up again (which just had me take a photo of the QR code and confirm my doorbell chime settings- I suppose I should dig back through and make sure other settings are correct) and that didn't seem to do it either. Thankfully I hadn't tried to do a lot of customization of video settings with other tools.

----
Finally I bit the bullet and went to my circuit breaker to try and figure out which breaker had the doorbell transformer (of course I didn't write it in when I installed the doorbell back in January). After cycling the power of the transformer, when the doorbell came back online it seems like it is recording and playing back motion detection PIR clips without the error message!

So the old adage of "Did you power cycle it?" seems to have done the trick in this case. I wish there was a button to send a reboot command in the app (can I use the reset button behind the faceplate? though unscrewing and removing the faceplate is even more work than flipping the breaker once you know which one...)

Now that it seems to be working, I'm curious what the files look like on the microSD card (did it fill it up already or are there only a few files to correspond with the few PIR clips that have been saved?

Also, it's interesting to see that the photo/screenshot for each clip appears to be uploaded to the cloud even if you're not storing video in the cloud, since the screenshots always have been visible even when no working microSD or even any microSD was inserted?

Also, I have not had issues with the live feed (suggesting that the network/wifi connection is ok, and haven't had issues with the camera restarting itself or freezing to suggest inadequate power supply over the past six months)...Although I recognize that many other people in this thread have experienced unexpected results that don't seem to make sense, when they've switched transformers, etc. These doorbells really seem to be slightly different compared to most other technology troubleshooting I've had to do.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick suggestions, everyone!

TLDR: Fixed by flipping the breaker on and off. Complete troubleshooting details/steps of what didn't work below in case other people are curious.

------
Finally I bit the bullet and went to my circuit breaker to try and figure out which breaker had the doorbell transformer (of course I didn't write it in when I installed the doorbell back in January). After cycling the power of the transformer, when the doorbell came back online it seems like it is recording and playing back motion detection PIR clips without the error message!

So the old adage of "Did you power cycle it?" seems to have done the trick in this case. I wish there was a button to send a reboot command in the app (can I use the reset button behind the faceplate? though unscrewing and removing the faceplate is even more work than flipping the breaker once you know which one...)
If it doesn't work, reboot first. :)

If it happens too often, you might want to check your transformer.

The files on the SD card are encrypted by default for security/privacy reasons (in case they steal it). You have the option in the app to disable encryption (needed if you integrate the DB1 with Alexa/Google Home), I'm guessing this applies both to the live stream and the files recorded on the SD Card.

You can give it a try: disable the encryption, reformat the SD card, record something, and then check the files on the SD Card again and see if they are readable.

Reaction score
The files on the SD card are encrypted by default for security/privacy reasons (in case they steal it). You have the option in the app to disable encryption (needed if you integrate the DB1 with Alexa/Google Home), I'm guessing this applies both to the live stream and the files recorded on the SD Card.
Oh- that makes sense. First camera that I have had that does encryption, so I didn't even think of that. Would explain why they fill up the card with files too, so that the size/dates of the files don't give away the contents.

It would be nice if there was a standard to allow other NVRs and software to decrypt the files with the password/key. I'd prefer not to disable encryption and then be sending decrypted video through the "cloud". I suppose I could try and integrate a SAGE sensor into my SmartThings for notifications, disable encryption and block all doorbell communication to the cloud, and use my VPN to view the video remotely on the few occasions it would be needed. That would also allow me to record the doorbell video to my NVR with the other security cameras. But it might not pass the WAF (wife acceptance factor) test.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh- that makes sense. First camera that I have had that does encryption, so I didn't even think of that. Would explain why they fill up the card with files too, so that the size/dates of the files don't give away the contents.

It would be nice if there was a standard to allow other NVRs and software to decrypt the files with the password/key. I'd prefer not to disable encryption and then be sending decrypted video through the "cloud". I suppose I could try and integrate a SAGE sensor into my SmartThings for notifications, disable encryption and block all doorbell communication to the cloud, and use my VPN to view the video remotely on the few occasions it would be needed. That would also allow me to record the doorbell video to my NVR with the other security cameras. But it might not pass the WAF (wife acceptance factor) test.
If you check my signature, you'll see that I use SSS (Synology Surveillance Station) as NVR. It has a mobile app (DS Mobile) that I use for all recording and alerts/event management. I rarely use the EZVIZ mobile app. I don't record on the SD Card, for my use case the doorbell is just like a normal camera plus it has a button that announces on my Echo devices when people are at the external gate. I don't rely on the vendors' mobile app, except for configuration obviously. The DS Mobile app passed the WAT (wife acceptance test) and having the videos stored on my central NAS is much better than relying on an SD Card. :)

I recommend the SAGE sensor, I integrated it into Hubitat Elevation. I recommend you buy 3-4 of them, because I had to replace my first SAGE some days ago, luckily I got a couple of them on ebay for a few bucks. I should have bought more. :)

Glad you have things working now, let us know if you need further help. :)

JimEPage

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi again:
Still having problems with blue iris on the ezviz db1. I checked the video on the app itself and there is no interruption of the video.
What happens is that as soon as someone crosses my set perimeter on BI or perhaps the perimeter on the ezviz settings, the blue iris video seems to lock up and show the same preview that the app shows, over and over again. You know the preview screen that shows a repeated two or three second video that you press on to show the whole video in the ezviz app? That's what BI locks into, over and over again. OR, a weird 3-split screen of the same.
I can't seem to figure this out. Anyone else have any ideas? The connection over wifi seems strong, and it only seems to lockup when the BI or ezviz perimeter is breached.
Thanks for the help!

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi again:
Still having problems with blue iris on the ezviz db1. I checked the video on the app itself and there is no interruption of the video.
What happens is that as soon as someone crosses my set perimeter on BI or perhaps the perimeter on the ezviz settings, the blue iris video seems to lock up and show the same preview that the app shows, over and over again. You know the preview screen that shows a repeated two or three second video that you press on to show the whole video in the ezviz app? That's what BI locks into, over and over again. OR, a weird 3-split screen of the same.
I can't seem to figure this out. Anyone else have any ideas? The connection over wifi seems strong, and it only seems to lockup when the BI or ezviz perimeter is breached.
Thanks for the help!
Maybe somehow you have to many streams , without knowing? Did you try the old switch off switch on trick?

Flash2020

n3wb
Reaction score
I been following this forum for a long time and I read most of it
I finally decided to ask you about my problem because maybe I'm missing something
I have DS-HD1 connected to synology without internal memory card
Running latest Hikvision firmware and using Hikvision app on the phone
IP setup manual
The unit works sometimes for a week sometimes for several weeks without problems and then looses connection. Sometimes it happens just after a few days. I need to disconnect the power and then it comes back online
I changed the power supply to 16v 30va , but still having the same issues
Any idea what can I do about it ?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I finally decided to ask you about my problem because maybe I'm missing something
IP setup manual
The unit works sometimes for a week sometimes for several weeks without problems and then looses connection. Sometimes it happens just after a few days. I need to disconnect the power and then it comes back online
I would check your WiFi network. Interference?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is an AP just next to it and the signal is always strong
IP is set to Manual to avoid DHCP problems
Plus as soon as I restart it it all goes back to normal
So one of the hardest things to diagnose is Interference. First thing I would check is what channel is your AP transmitting on.

1598113633391.png

This is the Phone App Analyser I use (I am sure there are better ones out there, I have not checked):

Last edited:

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Regarding the discussed doorbell cams in this thread: HIKVISION (DS-HD1), RCA (HSDB2A), EZVIZ (DB1), LAVIEW (LV-PDB1630-U)
What WiFi frequency are they typically running at, 2.4 or 5GHz?
I see the specs show it's dual band but wondering what the reality is after it's installed.
I realize the distance between the doorbell unit and the wireless router or access point is a key factor.
The reason I'm asking is I plan to add a doorbell cam in the future but need to source an access point now to support a new wireless cam that only runs 2.4GHz.
Thanks!

Flash2020

n3wb
Reaction score
So one of the hardest things to diagnose is Interference. First thing I would check is what channel is your AP transmitting on.

View attachment 69120

This is the Phone App Analyser I use (I am sure there are better ones out there, I have not checked):

I have UNIFI WIFI network so I do know very well whats going on with my WIFI network and its not the problem

phatboyj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IP setup manual
If I was experiencing this issue, I would, use some sort of a remote switch/relay to restart the DoorBell.
Then,
automate it by monitoring one of the 24/7 streams, having it set up such as when the stream is dropped the Relay/Switch is triggered to restart the Doorbell

this setup would have the added advantage of being able to power cycle the device when or if away from home as-well .