New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The last set of troubleshooting was to provision the doorbell on an SSID with a single band being broadcast on a single AP. No "bandsteering" was involved. Leaving 802.11k checked would cause dropouts every 2 to 3 minutes or so. Disabling 802.11k solved the issue. That may not be for everyone's setups, but in my setup that is what was observed.
Can I ask what Enterprise AP do you have? I don't know why I make those type of questions :), of course I can ask, the answering is what really is in question here... ;)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the new version of Batch Config Tool?

1600600893196.png

I am still using the old stable version 3.0.2.6, maybe 3.1.0.4 is a fix to the unstable version 3.0.3.8:
1600601091968.png

Last edited:

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the new version of Batch Config Tool?
I am still using the old stable version 3.0.2.6, maybe 3.1.0.4 is a fix to the unstable version 3.0.3.8:
I'm using it since a couple of weeks, GUI has been revamped, so far it's working fine. Didn't try for upgrades though. But I'm using this as the standard version now.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Roaming vs Band Steering, now I get it :), you guys know I am slow.:confused:
You're not slow, it's that there's a LOT of things to study if you want to know how everything works, and sometimes, even if you already read something, someone describes it with a different name/label/acronym and you don't reconnect it to the thing you already read. It happens often. :)

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The last set of troubleshooting was to provision the doorbell on an SSID with a single band being broadcast on a single AP. No "bandsteering" was involved. Leaving 802.11k checked would cause dropouts every 2 to 3 minutes or so. Disabling 802.11k solved the issue. That may not be for everyone's setups, but in my setup that is what was observed.
Sure, I didn't mean to say it was not true in your case, but it can't be a general advice for everybody. If a network device doesn't supporto 802.11k or 802.11v it doesn't mean it will disconnect from the AP like in your case, it's probably due to the implementation of your specific AP. I have old legacy wifi devices (more than 10y old), 802.11b, that work perfectly fine with my Fritz!Box wlan with 802.11k and 802.11v enabled, etc.

Disabling some functions on the AP/router/switch is never a solution for me, it's a workaround. I prefer understanding WHY that device disconnects when used with that particular AP/router. But that's just how I approach these things, coming from a system/network engineering background. :)

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't see it in the EZVIZ app camera setting but I haven't look in the batch tool yet.

Do you know if we can set motion detect recording post time? I think it being cut off too short for my taste and I would like increase post recording additional 10s.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have the same firmware, can't seem to enable ONVIF (see attached screeen shots) is there something that I am missing?
Same fw respect to whom? What brand/model do you have? What firmware? Not all fw provide ONVIF functionality, and you can't enable/configure it via batch config if fw doesn't provide it.

tewanchuk

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an EZVIZ DB-1 with Hikvision fw 5.2.4.200321 . I don't seem to be able to enable ONVIF from Batch Config, it says that it is not supported. Not too sure if I am doing something incorrectly, have the wrong FW or the FW update did not apply correctly.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have an EZVIZ DB-1 with Hikvision fw 5.2.4.200321 . I don't seem to be able to enable ONVIF from Batch Config, it says that it is not supported. Not too sure if I am doing something incorrectly, have the wrong FW or the FW update did not apply correctly.
If you have hikvision fw, ONVIF is already enabled, you don't need to do anything with Batch Config.

If you want to check which cameras on the network support ONVIF, you can use ONVIF Device Manager on a windows pc.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Strange.
Our chime not working anymore.

Even Sage sensor is not triggering but I know it working because I can manually trigger it in my hub.

Anyone experience anything like this before?

KC8DKT

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Super long and informative thread on these doorbells. Forum threads are often filoed with issues and problems as forums are the place to turn to if they occur. For the ones that have had this doorbell for a while what is the long term verdict? Is it day to day problem free once it is set up? Is it stable? Do you reccomed it if so why/why not? Are there better alternatves out there?
I love the RCA DB with the Hik FW to get ONVIF working in BlueIris. The BIG thing (for me anyways) was no more triggers from cars going by at night like I was getting from BI motion. No matter what I did in the BI motion setup I had false triggers.

Cars at night.
Sun rise.
Sunny day with fast moving clouds.
Windy days with tree shadows.

The PIR needs body heat to trigger, you can turn motion detection OFF in BI and setup the DB as ONVIF so the cams PIR will trigger BI.
The RCA is on amazon for less then $100 so its cheaper then most cams I have and I have had no day to day problems. I did spend 2 or 3 days messing with all the settings and FirmWare and transformers though. If you need BI to work with the PIR triggers you will have to update to the HIK FirmWare if you get the RCA DB. If your not ok with doing that then get the branded Hik DB for about $25 more and it works right out of the box with any ONVIF.

Last edited:

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Strange.
Our chime not working anymore.

Even Sage sensor is not triggering but I know it working because I can manually trigger it in my hub.

Anyone experience anything like this before?
Yes, and I think I wrote about it in the thread. The SAGE seems to "stuck" every once in a while. What I do is remove the battery, wait 30secs, insert the battery and usually it works again. Sometimes I had to reset it via the specific button and pair it again with the automation hub. Last time it happened I tried doing the same procedure but it didn't work, I reset it, re-paired it, etc. but nothing worked. I had another one as backup, so I replaced it and it worked immediately.

I'm looking for a more reliable solution to the SAGE.

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I only come here occasionally and am always amazed by how much alive this thread is. I just swung by to report that the early self reset problems have been gone for over 8 months now. I am very pleased with this RCA doorbell. Certainly by far the best I have tried. I have implemented a custom local facial recognition through home-assistant using the stream from the doorbell and am now triggering unlocking of my door under certain specific circumstances. It has become a stable part of my home automation.

Last edited:

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I only come here occasionally and am always amazed by how much this thread is still alive. I just swung by to report that the early self reset problems have been gone for over 8 months now. I am very pleased with this RCA doorbell. Certainly by far the best I have tried. I have implemented a custom local facial recognition through home-assistant using the stream from the doorbell and am now triggering unlocking of my door under certain specific circumstances. It has become a stable part of my home automation.
FR locally? Wow, that is really cool. I don't use HA anymore, switched to HE 1y ago. Can you describe a little bit the sw components used? I'd love to do something like that. :)

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sure.

My code is here:

It is a fork of home assistant you have to look at the commits to see what I changed. Python is the language to go for this type of things unless you are versed enough in C++ which I am not. I am not even in IT by trade.

For the nitty gritty details, I tested a number of AI frameworks, inference models and classification algorithms before settling to use pytorch and retinaface for facial detection and arcface for face recognition.
They are modifications of an original implementations which used a very different framework (dlib) so that's why it is strangely located under the dlib component. I started from dlib and evolved the component -> opencv for face detection + dlib for encoding and classification -> changed classification to SVM classifier to improve accuracy ->pytorch retinaface for detection -> pytorch arcface for encoding and classification. This is as far as I know the state of the art for accuracy and speed.

Then I implemented another model (Yolov4) for other cameras (people, deers and car detection) which meant I needed a GPU to do all of this real time. So I pretty much obsoleted movement detection as an alarm as it had too many false positive.

I also implemented quite a bit of optimization of the video stream handling of home assistant...

KC8DKT

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the same firmware, can't seem to enable ONVIF (see attached screeen shots) is there something that I am missing?
Your right, you have no problem! The check and save will not work, but just know ONVIF WILL WORK even though BC does not show it! When you run a check on ONVIF or use BlueIris to scan you will see that it is working just fine.

RCA DB with Hik FW is my setup as well and BC will not save ONVIF but works GREAT in BI5. (The logs in BI5 even list it as External PIR trigger)

Last edited:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, and I think I wrote about it in the thread. The SAGE seems to "stuck" every once in a while. What I do is remove the battery, wait 30secs, insert the battery and usually it works again. Sometimes I had to reset it via the specific button and pair it again with the automation hub. Last time it happened I tried doing the same procedure but it didn't work, I reset it, re-paired it, etc. but nothing worked. I had another one as backup, so I replaced it and it worked immediately.

I'm looking for a more reliable solution to the SAGE.
Did you had it hooked up to a chime?

I thought I recalled you don’t use a chime ... I will go power cycle Sage sensor then

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try port 80

1600735430648.png