New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I heard back from them and spoke with them on the phone. Now, they want me to take pictures of my wiring setup and email it to them ... sigh ...

I will do this tonight after work.

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I heard back from them and spoke with them on the phone. Now, they want me to take pictures of my wiring setup and email it to them ... sigh ...

I will do this tonight after work.
I had to go through the same hoop jumping with Voxx (RCA support) when the wifi for my RCA doorbell quit working after several months (no SSID broadcast during setup). The support rep had me trying all sorts of wifi related things even though there was nothing wrong with my wifi. Fortunately(?) my doorbell degraded to a point where it kept rebooting every few seconds, so the rep issued an RMA for me to return it. Now if only Canada Post would deliver it to them... It's been stuck on "Out for delivery" status for a week now...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This doesn't make sense.
You are confusing higher voltage with higher power. The doorbell has a power input regulator which pulls more current if the voltage is low and less current if the voltage is high enough. Effectively it will have to draw a lot more current and dissipate more heat while drawing more power at lower voltages. This is true for any transformer/power supply.
I live in the US and grew in Europe. You can look up why for example the US running 110V makes appliances a lot less efficient than the same appliances running 220V/240V in Europe and they will be reflected in higher wattages. If you look at PC ATX power supplies you will notice that indeed the power efficiency ratings/power factors are better at higher input voltages even though a lot of engineering has gone into making them close but it is always better for the more efficient for the higher voltage. Higher efficiency means less loss dissipated in heat.
This is high school physics. You will lose more voltage through your resistance as your current increases. The doorbell will draw more current proportionally as you decrease voltage (in reality it is the transformer which will push more current to maintain its voltage and therefore increase the current in the circuit). As the current increases, heat will be generated through all the resistance in the circuit and drop voltage further, causing further increase in current until it reaches an equilibrium. You essentially generate more heat everywhere from your transformer to the doorbell. If curious, you could measure the voltage under load at the doorbell. I would not be too surprised if it is a lot lower than at the transformer output. The lower the voltage, the higher the difference % will be.

The power of your transformer comes from the VA rating. Not the voltage. The VA rating is a capacity rating. A higher VA rating will not cause you to generate more heat. A lower voltage will.
Wow, I enjoyed this read. So Resistance (Electronic Friction) is our enemy...:)

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think I'll try this one: wifi and triggers via MQTT. But I don't like the fact that is powered by battery, I'd have preferred a 12VDC power + battery.

Firefly Doorbell Sensor – Firefly Electronix (fireflyelectronix.com)
WiFi Doorbell Documentation · fireflyelectronix/firefly_doorbell_sensor Wiki · GitHub

Unfortunately I'll spend more for shipment+VAT taxes here then the product itself. :(
@TechBill: installed it today. But I had to find and modify a driver for HE, since the device works only via MQTT. Works great. The only thing I don't like is the fact that's powered by a CR123 battery (3V). I wonder if I could feed it with a 5V DC power source...have to ask the company. Good product. :)

1601485711960.png

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
@TechBill: installed it today. But I had to find and modify a driver for HE, since the device works only via MQTT. Works great. The only thing I don't like is the fact that's powered by a CR123 battery (3V). I wonder if I could feed it with a 5V DC power source...have to ask the company. Good product. :)

View attachment 71711

Thanks for sharing and keep us up to date too!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When we wrote about the ICMP fix, the issue was a NETWORK DISCONNECTION, as user @ronin1 reported: Batch config only shows an Exception error - Network Disconnection in the logs

Did you check your router logs and batch config's event log to see if a network disconnection happened? If it didn't, probably there has been some modification in the firmware of the camera when the "isolated" condition happens due to ICMP being blocked. In any case, from my network/system experience, I advise all people that use firewalls for LAN traffic, to properly configure their rules, ICMP on LAN should ALWAYS been allowed, it's a BASIC error not doing so. But it's out of the scope of this thread having to explain the basics of networking. You want the illusion of maximum security using firewalls also in your home LAN environment? Well, pay close attention to what you do, and check the basics before complaining about the devices and the free support you are receiving here from everybody.

You should read the entire 101 when you have a problem and are looking for a solution, it has been maintained with lot of effort by @David L to avoid having to read the thousands of posts in the thread. If you don't have the time or patience to at least analyze carefully 101, at least don't complain for the hard work that David put into this. Remember that we're not being paid by anybody, it's a hobby, we do it for passion and to help others solve issues more easily, learning from the experience of the entire community of users here.

In any case, it's my fault the 101 is not intelligible enough, David asked me to revise it months ago, but I had severe personal problems that got my mind elsewhere. So please don't blame David for anything, he's done an outstanding job. If there's something to improve and it didn't, it's entirely my fault. As soon as I'll come out of the messy situation, and my brain can concentrate on that task, I will revise the entire document.

Having said that, I think we don't deserve to be accused of anything for the reasons I described above.
@cba123 My apologies. What I try to do is not fill up the, already too large, 101 with every issue. If the issue becomes wide spread, two or more, I usually add it to the 101. There have been many, many individual issues, that in time were not related to the Doorbell but to one's network/setup. I did go back and read some of your post and understand you fought with your issue for a month, which is not fun for anyone. Hopefully you can look at it this way, once you see someone else with the same problem/issue, Chime In (As we say it Here) :) and pay it forward, I see those opportunities as a way to give back. I will add yours and misally post links in the 101. Thank ya'll for sharing...

@alexdelprete Thank you for All your contributions and knowledge, you guys are way out of my league both technically and as everyone can see with the 101, Technical Writing. This year has hit us both/all hard. You are by no means at fault for taking care of family first, nor am I. I kind of see the 101 like a software patch, we are on version 101.2020.9999999999999999 :) and we all know how long software patches take, but for good reason...

kamakazie2

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone.. what a great thread!

I upgraded my EZVIZ to the latest Hikvision DB1 firmware and i cant get Blue Iris to recognize the ONVIF protocols and try to use the devices motion notification as opposed to Blue Iris. When I go into the batch config tool i try to enable ONVIF and it said device not supported.
I have confirmed that I am running V5.2.4build 200321

I can connect via RTSP and get a constant picture.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi everyone.. what a great thread!

I upgraded my EZVIZ to the latest Hikvision DB1 firmware and i cant get Blue Iris to recognize the ONVIF protocols and try to use the devices motion notification as opposed to Blue Iris. When I go into the batch config tool i try to enable ONVIF and it said device not supported.
I have confirmed that I am running V5.2.4build 200321

I can connect via RTSP and get a constant picture.
Welcome. :)

For BI configuration, check this post by @David L: New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

You don't configure ONVIF via Batch Config, because it is already pre-configured by default with hikvision's fw. Make sure you set 80 as the ONVIF/Discovery port.

kamakazie2

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome. :)

For BI configuration, check this post by @David L: New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

You don't configure ONVIF via Batch Config, because it is already pre-configured by default with hikvision's fw. Make sure you set 80 as the ONVIF/Discovery port.

Amazing.. its working!

finally.. one last thing.. i noticed the camera is no longer closing the circuit to ring my actual doorbell.. how do i fix that?

KC8DKT

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Amazing.. its working!

finally.. one last thing.. i noticed the camera is no longer closing the circuit to ring my actual doorbell.. how do i fix that?
When you ADDED the VDB to the app did you set the CHIME to mechanical ? What APP did you setup with and what kind of chime do you have? ( I was guessing mechanical )

kamakazie2

n3wb
Reaction score
When you ADDED the VDB to the app did you set the CHIME to mechanical ? What APP did you setup with and what kind of chime do you have? ( I was guessing mechanical )
thanks for the reply. I set it up with the EZVIZ app. It never asked me. Ill try setting it up again and see what happens. Its a mechanical doorbell.

Is there a better app to use when we have the Hikvision DB1 firmware?

KC8DKT

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. I set it up with the EZVIZ app. It never asked me. Ill try setting it up again and see what happens. Its a mechanical doorbell.

Is there a better app to use when we have the Hikvision DB1 firmware?
Most do NOT give a crap about the app so much. Like you they use BlueIris or a NVR recorder or plugged into a home alarm system. ALL the apps are more or less a COPY of the same code. They all just slapped a diff logo at startup and that is about it. EZVIZ in some of the new updates took the option to pick the chime type AWAY. You have to REMOVE your device from the app then ADD it back to get too that option now. I have BlueIris setup to do every thing for my system so I do not use the apps much aside from this forum.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just wanted to share some news on this thread about the most recent update to Blue Iris, version 5.3.2.11. It is now possible to get the doorbell's camera stream to display on an Echo Show, with only Blue Iris and no additional software installed locally. I have the doorbell from Nelly's, running the 200321 (2020-03-31) firmware, but the specific brand or firmware shouldn't matter, as long as Blue Iris can view the RTSP stream from the doorbell.

All you need to do is add the Monocle skill to your Echo Show. Then setup your camera feed to point to Blue Iris's web server, using the Monocle web portal. These are the settings that worked for me, but obviously change your IP address and port number to match your Blue Iris installation:

I saw elsewhere on this forum that others had some success using the locally installed Monocle gateway and the @proxy-tcp tag, but none of that is required anymore. Just make sure you format the stream URL correctly, as other posts have that incorrect. There should be a ? separating the the name of the camera and the resolution settings.

There is a bit of delay when loading the stream on the Echo Show. But it doesn't seem to be quite as bad as the lag seen with the EZVIZ or LAVIEW skills. And now you can use any app to manage your doorbell without worrying about Alexa compatibility.

All of this is thanks to Ken Pletzer of Blue Iris, going the extra mile to make this happen.
Thank you for this info. So question, running the BI Web Server is an alternative to running a Monocle Server/Gateway, correct?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a way to test if the power kit is still functional? All the sudden my mechanical chime stopped working and I even tried a new one. Also I have a 24v 40va transformer, is that too much?
So this is happening a lot, seems most are having to either reset/re-setup their Doorbell, like we all did upon initial install or run another App with the Chime option. Try Guarding Vision App or one of these others, like LaView or RCA,:

FROM 101:
⦁ Available Apps (Allows Remote Access):
iO/S: Hik-Connect, RCA Security, EZVIZ, LaView One, Guarding Vision
Android: Hik-Connect, RCA Security, EZVIZ, LaView ONE, Guarding Vision

EZVIZ App removed Chime option, also think Hik-Connect did too.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
So this is happening a lot, seems most are having to either reset/re-setup their Doorbell, like we all did upon initial install or run another App with the Chime option. Try Guarding Vision App or one of these others, like LaView or RCA,:

FROM 101:
⦁ Available Apps (Allows Remote Access):
iO/S: Hik-Connect, RCA Security, EZVIZ, LaView One, Guarding Vision
Android: Hik-Connect, RCA Security, EZVIZ, LaView ONE, Guarding Vision

EZVIZ App removed Chime option, also think Hik-Connect did too.
that being said...

my doorbell just went offline... and is flashing blue.. and no longer even ringing the chime when pressed (prob 3rd time since new)

its the OG RCA doorbell with the laview firmware.

thinking about getting the flush mount Dahua Door station. Price seems good, and install a bit tougher as i will have to cut some stucco. Not the end of the world.

do you think I will be happy with the Door station. Also thinking about switching over to blue iris as Im using Sighthound now.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The metal plate is NOT close to the INTERNAL batt. It has plastic on the INSIDE as well that isolates it from the inside. Only some of the metal can be seen from the mid point up to the top with STICKY heat pads on it. The back only has a speaker with 2 wires, them 2 wires are the ONLY thing you have to watch out for, EVERYTHING else is connected to the front side so nothing to pull off or brake.

Just try not to drop the little screws like I did. :banghead:
Have you seen this?

FROM the 101:
⦁ FCC Registrations: Search FCC ID Database
FCC ID 2ADTD-DSHD1 3MP Wi-Fi Doorbell Camera by Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co., Ltd. (Info on Hikvision Doorbell)
FCC ID VIXHSDB2 Video Doorbell by Voxx Accessories Corp. (Info on RCA Doorbell)
FCC ID 2APV2-CSDB1 Wi-Fi Doorbell Camera by Hangzhou Ezviz Software Co., Ltd. (Info on EZVIZ Doorbell)
FCC ID 2APYR-PDB1630 Wi-Fi Doorbell Camera by LaView Eagle-Eye Technology Inc. (Info on LaView Doorbell)
FCC ID 2ADTD-DOORBELL 3MP Wi-Fi Doorbell Camera by Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co., Ltd. (Info on Nelly's Doorbell)