New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

BobDoh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
...I would do it so that the tasmota device sets an MQTT...
I am actually publishing to MQTT, using node-red to pick it up to push to Pushover notification. I'm already doing a few other things in node-red, but most of my functionality for this mod is done via Tasmota rules.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am actually publishing to MQTT, using node-red to pick it up to push to Pushover notification. I'm already doing a few other things in node-red, but most of my functionality for this mod is done via Tasmota rules.
One day I'll have to start taking a look at node-red. ;)

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My first DB1 wouldn't turn on. After getting my second DB1 (nelly), I thought no-harm, so I opened up first DB1, tested, nothing wrong, reassembled and it started working again and is still working.
There are 2 spring retaining clips directly connecting the external wires into internal pads, which I believe becomes too loose when the unit heats up.
That could explain why sometimes when it acts weird, you have to physically power it down, disconnecting cables, for 1h at least, not because of the internal battery, but to make it cool down probably. This camera has some evident engineering flaws.

Let alone the fact they didn't bother to signal the push-button event via standard protocols/interfaces. It's a pity.

cinnabuns

n3wb
Reaction score
When you re-added it, did it give you an option to select your doorbell/ door chime type? I've had to do this before last time the app updated, door chime no longer works...when re-adding it was able to select the mechanical doorbell and then it worked again. For whatever reason, when it updated the EZVIZ app, it defaulted to no chime; you need to explicitly select mechanical chime else it won't ring. EZVIZ needs to add an option to on the fly change door bell type within the app.
Thanks for the heads up. I had remembered needing to pick the chime type but I setup the doorbell over a year ago and couldn't for the life of me find that setting. My chime had stopped working recently for no apparent reason and setting the chime type again via re-adding fixed it.

KC8DKT

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My first DB1 wouldn't turn on. After getting my second DB1 (nelly), I thought no-harm, so I opened up first DB1, tested, nothing wrong, reassembled and it started working again and is still working.
There are 2 spring retaining clips directly connecting the external wires into internal pads, which I believe becomes too loose when the unit heats up.
Ya, a lot of them spring like connections in this thing, When I had mine on the 24v transformer on hot days my unit would power off then out of the blue power back on. If you check out the PCBs you will see even more of them little retaining clip spring like things every where. The last time I had mine open I got the rubber greasy goo on one of the pads it contacts. That was fun tracking down because the goo is clear! :banghead:

As for all the mechanical doorbells that just stop working one day out of the blue, I had this problem with my RCA. The transformer I upgraded to at first was 24v but the max volts for my old Mchime was only 18v. It worked/lasted for about 6 months before it died and I had to get a new one to replace it. Just dumb on my part that I did not think too check it before installing the new transformer.

misally

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with the chime, but exacerbated by a setup issue... I originally set up the device using only BCT, and after a few bumps it works except the indoor chime.

So I spent 3 hours today resetting the device and trying to configure it with either of the EZVIEW, HikVision, or LaView apps. No luck. I had in fact reset the admin password as described on the 101 as a bad thing, but I was fortunately able to reset the password back to the default during the reset (I did a power-off and on while holding the reset button, maybe that was the thing that did it), so I don't think that's the issue. Basically I got to the step of having it connect to the device's wifi and set it all up, and each time it simply said it failed. Checking the wifi AP logs, it doesn't look like it ever connected to the actual wifi network. I have 3 wifi networks, and I tried each of them as options, but no joy.
So in the end, I connected again with the BCT, and re-uploaded the original configuration and it's back to normal (with the same chime issue).
It's a Hikvision camera running the latest Hikvision firmware.

I hope they come out with a BCT update that will allow that setting to be controlled with that tools.

If anyone happens to be able to set it up from default with mechanical chime, export the configuration file using BCT, then repeat exactly the same except choosing electronic chime (or no chime, whatever) and export that config file, that might be extremely helpful, I could probably manually edit the config file then I just need to reset the checksum and install it. Could brick it, but why not... I'll be a guinea pig.

KC8DKT

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with the chime, but exacerbated by a setup issue... I originally set up the device using only BCT, and after a few bumps it works except the indoor chime.

So I spent 3 hours today resetting the device and trying to configure it with either of the EZVIEW, HikVision, or LaView apps. No luck. I had in fact reset the admin password as described on the 101 as a bad thing, but I was fortunately able to reset the password back to the default during the reset (I did a power-off and on while holding the reset button, maybe that was the thing that did it), so I don't think that's the issue. Basically I got to the step of having it connect to the device's wifi and set it all up, and each time it simply said it failed. Checking the wifi AP logs, it doesn't look like it ever connected to the actual wifi network. I have 3 wifi networks, and I tried each of them as options, but no joy.
So in the end, I connected again with the BCT, and re-uploaded the original configuration and it's back to normal (with the same chime issue).
It's a Hikvision camera running the latest Hikvision firmware.

I hope they come out with a BCT update that will allow that setting to be controlled with that tools.

If anyone happens to be able to set it up from default with mechanical chime, export the configuration file using BCT, then repeat exactly the same except choosing electronic chime (or no chime, whatever) and export that config file, that might be extremely helpful, I could probably manually edit the config file then I just need to reset the checksum and install it. Could brick it, but why not... I'll be a guinea pig.
Your right, holding reset when you turn the power back on is what reset your password. This is how you can UNBrick (solid or flashing red light) as well. You can even rename any firmware file you wish to flash and put that on the SD card and flash that way if your having problems (HUGE help if you have wifi connection problems) doing it through software.

In the 101 it talks about resetting the DB defaults and how just reloading firmware does some very diff things. Why a hardware (just holding reset) is diff from (hold reset as you restore power) will fix diff problems and the same goes for what program or app you use to do a software reset. All of them seem to reset or fix different things, its kind of odd.

Thank god we have so many people posting problems and things they tried and end the end what fixed the problem. Some times the same problem with the same DB with the same firmware would not have the same fix just does not work for some.

Last edited:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I received replacement powerkit and swapped it out then remove / re-added the device. Still no chime ..

sent off an email to ezviz support ... sigh ...

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I received replacement powerkit and swapped it out then remove / re-added the device. Still no chime ..

It's the doorbell, power-kit doesn't create that issue. They don't have a clue.

All this happened since they introduced the SMART CHIME magical feature and consequently removed the chime config option from the app.
If I was you, I would try an OLD version (2 versions ago) of the firmware, resetting the doorbell via powerup+reset button. So we could be sure it's a fw issue, not a hw issue.

I'm looking for a replacement doorbell, even if I don't have problems right now, and I'm leaning towards the Dahua villa system.

Sorry EZVIZ/Hikvision, but you're doing a very bad job in fixing problems, you are actually creating problems.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Hey Bill, have you verified that the chime still works without the db1? At least it would point to db1 or power kit/chime.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey Bill, have you verified that the chime still works without the db1? At least it would point to db1 or power kit/chime.
Oh yeah it works fine if I jump it as if it was connected to a standard db button

Either the powerkit or DB1 is feeding the power the chime hammer all the time. Let me make a video what it look like when I remove the wire from chime and post here later

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We already verified with all users having this issue that the chime works when you short the wires. It's the damn DB1 who doesn't do its job. And this is happened since the latest "smart chime" firmwares.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Let me know which firmware(s) you might try, if you don't have them. I saved them all.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@alexdelprete Do you think we need to still hold off on adding the new EZVIZ firmware to the 101 or should I add it?

davide169

n3wb
Reaction score
I just got a new EZViz DB1 installed the other day. After figuring out that the transformer was bad things were smooth sailing getting it setup. I can't get the mechanical chime to work though. Before I start thoroughly testing the wiring and so forth.... Is it possible the newer firmware is actually the issue? So far I've run the newest DB1 firmware (200220) and the newest Hikvision firmware (200321).

Transformer is a new 24v, putting out close to 30v at the output.
Mechanical chime is hooked up with the power kit. Its a Nutone but I can't find the model number indicated anywhere.
I did forget and re-adopt the doorbell to ensure I chose the mechanical option when setting it up. The doorbell itself will chime.

Should I just wait it out till its determined if the firmware is the issue or dig into the wiring?

Reaction score
Hello, I purchased the wifi doorbell IPCT-DB2. Followed the instructions to install it, however the indoor bell does not ring when the button is pressed.
Camera works fine though.

Note: I had a Nest doorbell installed before which was working fine.

Does anyone have any pointers to help troubleshoot the issue please?

grampadeal

n3wb
Reaction score
I shipped off my DB1 to EZVIZ yesterday, I'll keep everyone posted on return status and whether or not the chime works when the new one comes back.

If it doesn't, I'll try an older firmware, but I'll need to do some digging to find out which version was unaffected by the "smart chime" feature Alex is talking about. Alex - do you know which firmware version is the one prior to the introduction of the smart chime feature?

rayt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I shipped off my DB1 to EZVIZ yesterday, I'll keep everyone posted on return status and whether or not the chime works when the new one comes back.

If it doesn't, I'll try an older firmware, but I'll need to do some digging to find out which version was unaffected by the "smart chime" feature Alex is talking about. Alex - do you know which firmware version is the one prior to the introduction of the smart chime feature?
i was running the early version of laview firmware which supported onvif.. worked well for many many months.. then it just stopped. Hopefully theres a fix for this. Great onvif doorbell. but useless without my doorbell working.

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i was running the early version of laview firmware which supported onvif.. worked well for many many months.. then it just stopped. Hopefully theres a fix for this. Great onvif doorbell. but useless without my doorbell working.
Got me all paranoid so I went to check and my chime is working just fine:
I am running an RCA model with an old laview firmware: V5.2.4 buiild 190716