New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to see this thread is still alive. One thing I've noticed the past few months, but just now getting around to trying to troubleshoot is I'm getting a ton of "no signals" from BlueIris. I can only assume it may be the camera losing WIFI signal? I saw in the 101 that I should allow ICMP in firewall settings. I'm running DD-WRT on my router and the only thing I see is "Block Anonymous WAN Requests (ping) " was checked. I unchecked it, but it doesn't seem to make a difference with the connection. I'm not even sure if that is the same as the ICMP setting that is referenced. I'm on my 2.4 GHz network. Any other suggestions to make the signal more stable?
I usually revert back to my LAN Admin days, I would do a simple ping test:

ping -t (Doorbell IP)

ex.
ping -t 192.168.0.50

CTRL C stops it...

This is what us old bored people do for fun :)

Should be a steady ping:

1618673840717.png

Be sure and do your ping test from your Blue Iris machine...

Check what Channel your (WiFi) Access Point or Router is on, incase of any interference. I check with a phone WiFi Analyzer App what other neighbors channels they are using.

ex.:
1618674244199.png

You may have to lower Frame Rate or bitrate or resolution in Batch Config. Tool:

1618674379119.png

I have had good luck running 24/7 at 30 FPS...
1618674470330.png

There are really a whole list of things to try when it comes to WiFi
Had one family member recently realize his old router could not handle all the Smart Devices he was adding weekly :), he finally upgraded...

HTH

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to see this thread is still alive. One thing I've noticed the past few months, but just now getting around to trying to troubleshoot is I'm getting a ton of "no signals" from BlueIris. I can only assume it may be the camera losing WIFI signal? I saw in the 101 that I should allow ICMP in firewall settings. I'm running DD-WRT on my router and the only thing I see is "Block Anonymous WAN Requests (ping) " was checked. I unchecked it, but it doesn't seem to make a difference with the connection. I'm not even sure if that is the same as the ICMP setting that is referenced. I'm on my 2.4 GHz network. Any other suggestions to make the signal more stable?
Oh and Hey :), glad to see you back. There is a few of us left still hanging around here :)

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Had one family member recently realize his old router could not handle all the Smart Devices he was adding weekly :), he finally upgraded...
I honestly think this may be where I'm at, but thanks for all of the suggestions I can work through. Looking back, I changed a few video settings a while back (went from constant to variable bitrate). Going to revert and see if that helps. I have my eye on a Dream Machine Pro along with a couple wireless AP's, but just need to save some $$$ for that project.
Oh and Hey :), glad to see you back. There is a few of us left still hanging around here :)
Thanks- I still visit the forums quite a bit and occasionally pop in this thread to look at the 1010 to see if there are any firmware updates available, etc. Really appreciate everyone's efforts.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
what happens when the button is pressed with the supply power? is it shorted then? I am running the doorbell from the aux power out from my alarm panel, with a fuse but without the small 'power unit' and don't want to fry the alarm system
Yes.
Its a standard doorbell ac transformer for typical US door bell chimes and buttons. I do have 12 VDC plus 2 wires going to the Leviton Omnipro 2 alarm panel.

Old way door bell way was configured...set this up around 2004 or so...

1 - a camera combo wired PIR Optex facing the door at 90 degrees mounted on a brick wall up about 9 feet facing down on the open front porch.
2 - wired Geophone sensor connected under the cement walk to the front door (personally call these thumpers - adjusted right they can sense foot steps - and earthquakes - Wiki a Geophone sensor.
3 - doorbell press to trigger event videos and an Elk-930 doorbell alarm sensor and Elk-960.
4 - used two Cartel under drive wired sensors which would trigger car driveway events

I would make videos with 4 cams from the street up to front walk to door...back, side and top view from leaving the delivery truck, walking to the front door and ringing the doorbell.

With the Hikvision DB in place the Elk-930 would not trigger so I installed a current sensor documented here. Note originally used a Ring DB which worked fine with the Elk-930.

Last edited:

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I usually revert back to my LAN Admin days, I would do a simple ping test:

ping -t (Doorbell IP)

ex.
ping -t 192.168.0.50

CTRL C stops it...

This is what us old bored people do for fun :)

Should be a steady ping:

View attachment 87097

Be sure and do your ping test from your Blue Iris machine...

Check what Channel your (WiFi) Access Point or Router is on, incase of any interference. I check with a phone WiFi Analyzer App what other neighbors channels they are using.

ex.:
View attachment 87098

You may have to lower Frame Rate or bitrate or resolution in Batch Config. Tool:

View attachment 87099

I have had good luck running 24/7 at 30 FPS...
View attachment 87100

There are really a whole list of things to try when it comes to WiFi

HTH
I unfortunately have not been able to get to the bottom of this. Oddly enough my router is indicating the WIFI connection is not losing connection. I believe there is something wrong with the DB1 itself as this was not always a problem when I first installed it. I've tried dropping video resolutions, frame rates, etc. to no avail. The fps drops slowly in BlueIris until it hits zero, loses video feed and re-establishes connection.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone else upgrade to the newer DB1C model? They were on sale ($69 on sale vs $99 regular) recently so I bought one. I haven't received it yet, but it seems that the image quality is better on the new model. Plus it has a slightly wider view which makes seeing things like packages a little easier. It doesn't have the PIR sensor, but honestly I always used BI for my alerts anyway. The "distance" setting on the PIR never worked correctly, so I would get alerts for movement far outside the range I wanted to.

I'll be moving my original DB1 model to the garage.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone else upgrade to the newer DB1C model? They were on sale ($69 on sale vs $99 regular) recently so I bought one. I haven't received it yet, but it seems that the image quality is better on the new model. Plus it has a slightly wider view which makes seeing things like packages a little easier. It doesn't have the PIR sensor, but honestly I always used BI for my alerts anyway. The "distance" setting on the PIR never worked correctly, so I would get alerts for movement far outside the range I wanted to.

I'll be moving my original DB1 model to the garage.
Here is great Thread for ya...

Another great Thread:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I unfortunately have not been able to get to the bottom of this. Oddly enough my router is indicating the WIFI connection is not losing connection. I believe there is something wrong with the DB1 itself as this was not always a problem when I first installed it. I've tried dropping video resolutions, frame rates, etc. to no avail. The fps drops slowly in BlueIris until it hits zero, loses video feed and re-establishes connection.
So question, what version of BI are you running? Also, do you have any other cameras you are running through BI?

How did the Ping test from your BI machine to your DB do?

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So question, what version of BI are you running? Also, do you have any other cameras you are running through BI?

How did the Ping test from your BI machine to your DB do?
Currently running most current version of BI. But this issue has been going on for several months and many different versions of BI.

Ping test is fine. Even when BI loses signal, it is pinging just fine.

Starting to wonder if it is firmware related. Currently running HIKIVISION build 200321. I hate to try and start swapping firmwares again.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Currently running most current version of BI. But this issue has been going on for several months and many different versions of BI.

Ping test is fine. Even when BI loses signal, it is pinging just fine.
So how much CPU % is BI using? Do you have anything else running in background? Anti-Virus? Has anything changed on the machine in the last month, installed anything new?
Try doing a continuous ping to your BI box from another PC or another source.

This is my BI PC, it's on a 4th Gen Intel Proc, with a 970 NvIdia Video Card

1618936026771.png

1618936111996.png

1618936274519.png

I am running a 24/7 stream for the DB plus a Motion stream for Alerts.

Just did a search of things to try in BI:

Do you have your recording going directly to disk, not having BI re-encode your stream? This helps CPU usage...Also if you happen to have a NVidia Video card in your BI box, I ended up turning this on to take advantage of the video card's GPU

1618937069211.png

1618937136577.png

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So how much CPU % is BI using? Do you have anything else running in background? Anti-Virus? Has anything changed on the machine in the last month, installed anything new?
Try doing a continuous ping to your BI box from another PC or another source.

This is my BI PC, it's on a 4th Gen Intel Proc, with a 970 NvIdia Video Card

View attachment 87323

View attachment 87324

View attachment 87325

I am running a 24/7 stream for the DB plus a Motion stream for Alerts.

Just did a search of things to try in BI:

Do you have your recording going directly to disk, not having BI re-encode your stream? This helps CPU usage...Also if you happen to have a NVidia Video card in your BI box, I ended up turning this on to take advantage of the video card's GPU

View attachment 87327

View attachment 87328
CPU usage is about 6-7%, Intel Beta HA is enabled as of yesterday for just this camera. It was previous disabled, but setting didn't make a difference for connection issues. I currently have 5 cameras total, 2 of which are WIFI. My Amcrest WIFI camera on the same network is rock solid and has no signal issues in BI.

Recording is direct-to-disk. I'm fairly well versed in BI. I may try to delete / re-add camera in BI next.

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
CPU usage is about 6-7%, Intel Beta HA is enabled as of yesterday for just this camera. It was previous disabled, but setting didn't make a difference for connection issues. I currently have 5 cameras total, 2 of which are WIFI. My Amcrest WIFI camera on the same network is rock solid and has no signal issues in BI.

Recording is direct-to-disk. I'm fairly well versed in BI. I may try to delete / re-add camera in BI next.
Well I don't want to speak too soon, but I may have some good news to report. Deleting and re-adding camera in BI seemed to have helped...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well I don't want to speak too soon, but I may have some good news to report. Deleting and re-adding camera in BI seemed to have helped...
Yeah I read that in one of the Threads I sent you. Those kind of suggestions/fixes don't make sense to me. Fingers crossed...

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I read that in one of the Threads I sent you. Those kind of suggestions/fixes don't make sense to me. Fingers crossed...
Didn't end up making a difference. I checked the log and BI is losing connection to camera every 3-10 minutes on average. I made it 20 minutes yesterday after re-adding camera, but problem persisted from there. I ended up ordering a DB1C yesterday from Walmart and am going to see if that solves the problem. If so, I'll at least know it may be an issue with the DB1. For my situation, I'm not a fan of the wider camera angle of the DB1C as my doorbell is basically in a corner so the narrow camera angle of the DB1 worked great.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here running Zoneminder / ONVIF I was getting weird ONVIF connection issues with other ONVIF clients. I was running a two ONVIF streams to Zoneminder.

I switched the Zoneminder - ONVIF connection to RTSP and it is better. Another couple of issues I had was that the Alexa Show app wasn't working (using RTSP) and my DB would reset itself.

ZM currently does it's own capture rate no matter what the DB is set to which goes from 12 - 15.49 fps / ~ 180.55 kB/s.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Didn't end up making a difference. I checked the log and BI is losing connection to camera every 3-10 minutes on average. I made it 20 minutes yesterday after re-adding camera, but problem persisted from there. I ended up ordering a DB1C yesterday from Walmart and am going to see if that solves the problem. If so, I'll at least know it may be an issue with the DB1. For my situation, I'm not a fan of the wider camera angle of the DB1C as my doorbell is basically in a corner so the narrow camera angle of the DB1 worked great.
I read it has different mounts...If you have any issues/questions you can check out these Threads:

hawks08

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a wireless chime that will work with Nellys NSC-DB2?
My current situation is I'm running a power supply adapter () to power the camera, which only has enough juice to power the doorbell and not a chime. I'm thinking of a solution that detects the ONIVF doorbell event (if that's published)
or a voltage detector which in-turn publishes some event (might be over complex )
or rewiring the internal speaker and move it inside

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I read it has different mounts...If you have any issues/questions you can check out these Threads:

Yeah I believe spacing between screws is about a 1/2” difference. Ran through those threads a few days ago. Hopefully it’s an easy swap!

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah I believe spacing between screws is about a 1/2” difference. Ran through those threads a few days ago. Hopefully it’s an easy swap!
I just swapped the newer DB1C for my DB1 this week. Other than using the new mounting plate (which due to the wider FOV, I used the flat plate instead of the angled plate) with the new hole size, it was completely plug and play. I simply removed the old camera which is connected via the two dorrbell wires on the back and hooked them up to the DB1C. Went through the initial setup which gets the camera on your wireless network, and was done.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I just swapped the newer DB1C for my DB1 this week. Other than using the new mounting plate (which due to the wider FOV, I used the flat plate instead of the angled plate) with the new hole size, it was completely plug and play. I simply removed the old camera which is connected via the two dorrbell wires on the back and hooked them up to the DB1C. Went through the initial setup which gets the camera on your wireless network, and was done.

so know new holes in the wall for the screws?