New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

hibby50

n3wb
Reaction score
Holy crap. Finally got this working with both the solid state relay and the normal relay. As I suspected, the power kit was not doing its job well enough. So I purchased a ring power kit pro v3 for 2 bucks on amazon and that did the trick with the relay set up.

This thing runs HOT at 24v... I saw some people stepped it down and had success with cooling it off so I may do that as well.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flash2020

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
I have HIKVISION (DS-HD1) that I been using with Hikvision firmware for a few years without too many issues with Ezviz app on my Iphone
I moved house and moved the doorbell
The new house has a different WIFI so I pressed Reset. The doorbell started blinking blue and a voice prompted to use the app to configure the doorbell
I tried both the Hikvision app and Ezviz app
My cellphone connects to the doorbell WIFI, but then the app fails to configure
Any idea what could be wrong ?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi
I have HIKVISION (DS-HD1) that I been using with Hikvision firmware for a few years without too many issues with Ezviz app on my Iphone
I moved house and moved the doorbell
The new house has a different WIFI so I pressed Reset. The doorbell started blinking blue and a voice prompted to use the app to configure the doorbell
I tried both the Hikvision app and Ezviz app
My cellphone connects to the doorbell WIFI, but then the app fails to configure
Any idea what could be wrong ?
Did you remove the Doorbell from the App first?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So a few thoughts. I am guessing your Doorbell has been with no power over an hour, this is needed to drain the battery and hopefully erase it's config (Old Network info). So I would think of what I went through, are you connecting to your 5GHz WiFi band? I had to make sure I connected to 2.4 in order to get through the network setup and get connected to my network. You can always go back to 5 if you think your Access Point is within range. How many bars does your phone get at the location where you are installing your Doorbell?

Flash2020

n3wb
Reaction score
I managed to connect it
I took a laptop and connected to the doorbell Wi-Fi
Then used Hikvision config app to manually configure my WIFI
Doorbell restarted and connected to the wifi
After it I was able to add it in the app

Reaction score
Just went through page 101 to get my Hikvision HD-DS1 up and running. Thanks for writing that.

I have the camera connected to blue iris but I'm having one problem. What I think I want is to use the HD stream on the Hik-Connect app (android and ios) and then one of the other streams records to blue iris.

Ive been fiddling with the options from the page 101 tutorial:

COPY/PASTE:
rxxp:/admin:<Enter password>@<Enter IP Address>:554/Streaming/Channels/101
OR
rxxp:/admin:<Enter password>@<Enter IP Address>:554/h264_stream (thanks to flynreelow)
(Change rxxp to rtsp)
But no matter what I use, I find that when I view the camera feed with Hik-Connect, I get "kicked out" of whatever stream I'm working on in blue iris. The video becomes "mangled" until I go into video settings and hit OK which causes it to reset to the stream that the camera is now sending.

Are there options in the video settings I can use to set it to a specific stream and make it stay there no matter what I do with the phone? I actually thought the camera could send the same stream to two consumers but maybe I'm wrong about that?

Thanks for any advice.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use VLC to check my streams such that testing HD stream is like this in VLC

rxxp:/admin:<Enter password>@<Enter IP Address>:554/Streaming/Channels/101
or
rxxp:/admin:<Enter password>@<Enter IP Address>:554/h264_stream

Testing SD stream is like this:

rxxp:/admin:<Enter password>@<Enter IP Address>:554/Streaming/Channels/102

Note that the above example link keeps changing after I save it.

It should read and have two back ward slashes on it rather than one.

One at a time works. Note that the HD frame rate is always around 15 FPS due to the wireless connection. Testing wired Hikvision camera boards and the HD frame rates are fine with these.

You can set up VLC to stream in two windows running two instances. It did not work for me though. 2nd stream whether HD or SD never works.

I am running BI on a Windows 2016 server here and Zoneminder on an Ubuntu 20.04 server

For BI Just configured two DB cameras - one SD and one HD and I can see them both streaming fine.

SD - DB Camera Stream.
SD-Stream.jpg

HD Camera Stream

HD-Stream.jpg

Concurrent with the above I SD/HD stream to Zoneminder, Alexa Show Monocle and my OmniPro touchscreens and Homeseer touchscreens.

I am not much of a Windows person these days and utilize Linux mostly on servers, desktops and laptops.

For Windows automation prefer to utilize Windows server (last 20 years) and Windows SAPI VR/TTS (collect voice fonts here).

I can and do run a mini version of Windows Server or Windows embedded (virtual box) on my Ubuntu 20.04 server.

For Zoneminder I manually configure resolution of the SD or HD stream per same camera view.

For the OmniPro and Homeseer touchscreens do JPG captures (slower) for streaming.

Every few weeks and using ONVIF touch to the camera the DB reconfigures itself to AP mode but saves rest of the configuration. Here it is always the same IP when it reconfigures itself to AP mode. I have a WLAN card attached to my W2016 server so I did a configuration in Batch Configuration to attach to the camera in AP mode where I reset the camera to regular client mode never physically touching the camera. I have have done this a few times in the last year. I lose the IP and video of the camera when it happens.

Note here only use remote VPN to access my DB camera / CCTV and typically my cell phones are in off mode and not connected to the cloud app.

I do not use the built in hardware PIR (via an ONVIF==>MQTT plugin) much these days as it is too sensitive. Gone back to original methodology of using an external PIR these days which is what I used to use 20 years ago. (and Geophone sensors). The video algorithms are better than they used to be but still prefer a physical motion device(s).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I do not use the built in hardware PIR (via an ONVIF==>MQTT plugin) much these days as it is too sensitive. Gone back to original methodology of using an external PIR these days which is what I used to use 20 years ago. (and Geophone sensors). The video algorithms are better than they used to be but still prefer a physical motion device(s).
Thanks for the help. I may have it sorted now. What are you using as an external PIR? My blue iris is about 6 months out of date and as I look to renew it, Im thinking about using the Sentry AI platform to identify people and maybe cars from the video. But I also wonder if a proper motion sensor is the way to go...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I may have it sorted now. What are you using as an external PIR? My blue iris is about 6 months out of date and as I look to renew it, Im thinking about using the Sentry AI platform to identify people and maybe cars from the video. But I also wonder if a proper motion sensor is the way to go...
Several here on the Forum use DeepStack, it is available on BI now...I think it came out with Blue Iris v5.4

1633557485592.png

teaser7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi experts. I have the LaView version...got it all set up the normal way (before I discovered this thread) and everything is working. I assigned it static IP, outside of my DHCP range. I then used my router (TP-Link) to block it from WAN. However, I can still access it remotely on my phone (through cell data) without having to turn on OpenVPN. Any ideas how that's possible? How is it accessing the clouds/internet when I block it? Should I reset it and follow the instructions on the "101" post?

I've read through the "101" post and searched around this thread...and saw someone had the same question...but never received an answer. Hope someone here ran into the same problem and was able to figure out how.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What are you using as an external PIR?

I am using a Sonoff 433Mhz outdoor PIR connected to a Tamota upgraded Sonoff 433Mhz wireless hub speaking MQTT.

This is a switch of hardwired internal / external PIRs to wireless and MQTT PIRs.

Last edited:

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can still access it remotely on my phone.

Guessing....

Locally on the cellular network would be because your router has "hair pinning" (IE: NAT Reflection) enabled and you are still using the mobile app.

Remove the video doorbell from the cloud app.

teaser7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply pete_c. Do you mean reset the doorbell and use the setup instructions from page 101 to avoid registration/going through the cloud (Nelly's instruction)?

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No. Just removing the camera from the cloud app. IE: just log on to the cloud app with your phone or PC and remove the camera.

teaser7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm still quite confused. I use the Ezviz app to view the doorbell cam on my phone as well as view recordings (sd card, not cloud) since LaView app is horrendous. I don't see any place to remove it from the cloud on ezviz app (I don't have cloud subscriptions). There's an option to "delete device" under settings, but doing so will probably remove it from my account entirely, no?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm still quite confused. I use the Ezviz app to view the doorbell cam on my phone as well as view recordings (sd card, not cloud) since LaView app is horrendous. I don't see any place to remove it from the cloud on ezviz app (I don't have cloud subscriptions). There's an option to "delete device" under settings, but doing so will probably remove it from my account entirely, no?
Correct. As long as you use the Cloud App (LaView/EZVIZ) the App will connect to your DB.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
BTW here now managing my house #2 via a Ring==>MQTT plugin and have disconnected / removed the Ring app from my Android phone (s).

I am not tethered here to any of my cell phones.

I do not sleep with my cell phone and shut off all cell phones when in the house. Always disliked Android even though I have to use it.

I try to take from the internet and not give any thing back to the Internet (selfish I guess) except for writing here.

Typically have purchased my phones and stripped all of the fluff from them and just made them functional for me. (forum xda dash developers dot com).

Very easy to do these days.

Just wiped Android from a new TV Box rewriting the eMMC with Kodi Linux and it works way better for me that way.

Tried a new ATV build on the TV Box. Very impressive build and no fluff; just the meat of ATV.

Last edited:

Dasbooter

n3wb
Reaction score
bought my RCA over a year ago now(man it was pre-pandemic and seems a lifetime away) and its still in the plastic wrap. Finally into the "final house" and wanted to go about setting this up now. I am just reacquainting myself with my own posts but its such a huge thread. Is it possible to set this up without using the RCA app or can I avoid the updating the firmware through the RCA app. I believe I might have the original firmware that is onvif and wouild like to avoid. If not possible I will have to flash I guess to get onvif. To confirm their is no way to get google assistant working for this doorbell using another firmware(more for her than me)? Can get motion detection using the hivision. I will follow the faq for flashing

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here updated my Nelly with Hikvision firmware using Batch Configuration. I am detached from any cloud app and use ONVIF, RTSP and JPG captures to BI, Zoneminder and my Leviton OmniTouch screens.

I utilize Monocle for the Alexa Show devices. A tad slow and it works.

pic-1.jpg

Last edited: