New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Reading your stuff thinking maybe of testing Frigate on the Zoneminder box which is running Ubuntu 20.04 these days. Been using Zoneminder for many years now.

Running BI on same hardware with Windows 2016.

Goodbye Zoneminder
I have never messed with blue iris because I don't like running windows boxes if I can help it. It should do pretty much the same as deepstack though. So far frigate has done wonders for me. There is a docker image that you can use to test with. Configurations are still done in YAML but if you mess with home assistant it's not difficult. It's actively being worked on and the dev is very active in the home assistant forums. Good luck getting a coral if you decide to stick with it though. Mouser isn't shipping USB ones till April of next year, they occasionally pop up on other sites. There are a couple of youtube videos that go over it from MostlyChris and Digiblur. You can really go off the deep end with what Linus tech Tips is planning to use frigate and doubletake for. I am using double-take to run facial recognition too and they make a crazy powerful paring especially with home assistant. It's why I am really wanting to capture button presses and see if I can access the speaker on the DB1 from Onvif or other means to use home assistant to play pre-recorded messages as the app is a little slow sometimes. Frigate usually gets a hit as soon as the person steps onto my property, pops up a moment later on my google home hub or plays the announcement on my google home speakers and I usually have the app loaded up before they can hit the button causing even more issues when the call tries to come through when I already have the app open.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you @Duh987

Installed on the Zoneminder box. Been testing some Hikvision camera boards (3) which are tacked to a wall next to the servers. Not in a rush to get the USB board...

These are generic boards and the firmware does have AI recognition from what I can see with batch configuration. I also installed one of these boards in one of the Optex combo cameras I have.

Last edited:

Dasbooter

n3wb
Reaction score
Understood.

It is many times all related to the WAF. Here wife wouldn't touch security touchscreens or automation touchscreens for fear that she will debend the house.

@David L runs the LaView App / firmware doorbell and on his phones while concurrently connecting to Blue Iris and it works for him using RTSP.

The windows app locks up or the camera itself?

The ONVIF app locks up.

I think though the cloud app uses ONVIF to talk to your doorbell such that if you make changes to your doorbell with the ONVIF app the changes will revert back to the cloud configuration stuff.

What do you get from HA with the ONVIF integration? A sensor with an on/off State?

This and I do not use it much these days for automation triggers.

View attachment 106477

Video motion algorithms are better but not really good for outside. Best to use hard sensors outide. Here used combo hardwired Optex combo cameras with PIRs. There is 6 wires connected. 2 for PIR, 2 for night dark switch and 2 for tamper switch plus power to the camera and PIR board.

The ONVIF to MQTT PIR plugin appeared to reboot/reset my DB sometimes so I quit using it. Also stick to using 2.4Ghz rather than 5Ghz for your DB.
What user/password am I supposed to use setting up the home assistant onvif integration? I may have messed up here and not saved the user/password combination that I made in when I set up ONVIF on the doorbell. I am using the default admin/password combination for the doorbell which the home assistant integration seems to have accepted coming back at me with one device and 5 entities? How can I safely reset, by the way, some times it takes a second run at a set up to feel confident you did it right?

I have never messed with blue iris because I don't like running windows boxes if I can help it. It should do pretty much the same as deepstack though. So far frigate has done wonders for me. There is a docker image that you can use to test with. Configurations are still done in YAML but if you mess with home assistant it's not difficult. It's actively being worked on and the dev is very active in the home assistant forums. Good luck getting a coral if you decide to stick with it though. Mouser isn't shipping USB ones till April of next year, they occasionally pop up on other sites. There are a couple of youtube videos that go over it from MostlyChris and Digiblur. You can really go off the deep end with what Linus tech Tips is planning to use frigate and doubletake for. I am using double-take to run facial recognition too and they make a crazy powerful paring especially with home assistant. It's why I am really wanting to capture button presses and see if I can access the speaker on the DB1 from Onvif or other means to use home assistant to play pre-recorded messages as the app is a little slow sometimes. Frigate usually gets a hit as soon as the person steps onto my property, pops up a moment later on my google home hub or plays the announcement on my google home speakers and I usually have the app loaded up before they can hit the button causing even more issues when the call tries to come through when I already have the app open.
Well I guess you probably thought of this already and its quite hacky but the android application seems pretty responsive in terms of notifications which tasker could respond to in whatever way you decide(perhaps a webhook). You would need an instance of android running somehow /old phone/emulator/docker. The firewall sniffing suggestion I read way back seems just as hacky

Last edited:

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What user/password am I supposed to use setting up the home assistant onvif integration?

Personally I use the admin password I configured in Batch Configuration. It is the same to access ONVIF integration.

BC-1.jpg

BC-2.jpg

Here is the Windows ONVIF manager program. Note the users / passwords are the same as Batch Configuration.

ONVIF-Windows.jpg

Home Assistant ONVIF Configuration:

HA-ONVIF-2.jpg

Just add ONVIF device and put in the IP of the doorbell...

Last edited:

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well I guess you probably thought of this already and its quite hacky but the android application seems pretty responsive in terms of notifications which tasker could respond to in whatever way you decide(perhaps a webhook). You would need an instance of android running somehow /old phone/emulator/docker. The firewall sniffing suggestion I read way back seems just as hacky
The DNS scraper is probably a little easier with home assistant but yeah, I wish they just exposed the button.

pbvdven

n3wb
Reaction score
anyone installed new firmware? Today my ezviz db1 updated automatically to 211011 and i lost the onvif option. So i put it back to 200321 but i tough it was strange that the hik fimware would see an eviz fimware update. But the install went without noticing untill I noticed that onvif stopt working with home assistant. Anyone else having this and could we also expect an new hikvision firmware would be nice
174C59BE-58BE-4D4D-AAB5-F88D570DD483.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
anyone installed new firmware? Today my ezviz db1 updated automatically to 211011 and i lost the onvif option. So i put it back to 200321 but i tough it was strange that the hik fimware would see an eviz fimware update. But the install went without noticing untill I noticed that onvif stopt working with home assistant. Anyone else having this and could we also expect an new hikvision firmware would be nice
View attachment 106857
Thank you for posting this. So EZVIZ has an EU Cloud which is different from the US Cloud. I do not have an EZVIZ Doorbell, I have the LaView version but I do run the EZVIZ App. You need to turn Off Device Auto Upgrade...it is under General Settings...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well looks like both US and EU sites have the same firmware 211011 posted (Last-Modified) date Nov. 01, 2021 (file date Oct. 31, 2021)

EU Site:
1635817044323.png

US Site:
1635817179511.png

One thing I noticed is the filesize is the same as the Build 200904 from Oct. 21, 2020

My Collection:
1635817748519.png

EZVIZ firmware's for the EZVIZ DB1 Doorbell have the same filenames.
1635818295191.png
1635818366625.png

This does not mean they are the same file, but interesting that their size is the same. Since most here run the Hikvision firmware on their DB1, only someone running 200904 and upgrading to 211011 would be able to tell us the difference...

pbvdven

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this. So EZVIZ has an EU Cloud which is different from the US Cloud. I do not have an EZVIZ Doorbell, I have the LaView version but I do run the EZVIZ App. You need to turn Off Device Auto Upgrade...it is under General Settings...
thanks. I dont see an device auto upgrade function in the ezviz app i dont even see a menu item General option or in dutch algemene instellingen.

Attachments

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thanks. I dont see an device auto upgrade function in the ezviz app i dont even see a menu item General option or in dutch algemene instellingen.
Yeah, guessing different version...You should be able to stop App updates in your phone.

1635899848873.png1635899884791.png1635899935975.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I found it i tough it would be a camera setting but its a global setting in the ezviz app. Thanks
Forgive me for asking but you stated you have a DB1 right, not the newer DB1C correct?

Reason I ask a DB1C owner stated they got the same firmware build # 211011 update in their EZVIZ App...

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Forgive me for asking but you stated you have a DB1 right, not the newer DB1C correct?

Reason I ask a DB1C owner stated they got the same firmware build # 211011 update in their EZVIZ App...

my db1 got 211011

Reaction score
Hello, I own a DB1 for almost 2 years now. Always working perfectly but 2 days ago it asked to upgrade the firmware. I did this and it failed (got an error it was not possible the upgrade).
Immediately the device appeared offline in my app.

I shut the power for always 12 hours and put it back on... Nothing. The doorbell is working (the mechanical chime rings when it is pushed and it rings outside).

I tried to reset it. Got a message: reset succesfully. It turn red and a few seconds later, solid blue... But not flashing blue. So it's not possible to get to wifi AP mode..
I never installed any other firmware.

I cannot get it back in the app (I removed it), but however the doorbell is connected to my netwerk at local ip: 192.168.0.10

What else can I do to get the doorbell back in my app and get it reconfigured?

Thanks

Last edited:

itm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a DB1C, and have been prompted to install a firmware update. I'm in the UK.
I'm reluctant to upgrade in case it breaks anything (particularly the RTSP stream, which I use with Blue Iris). Has anyone upgraded the DB1C and can provide any feedback on whether it (a) offers any improvements and (b) breaks any existing functionality?

Dasbooter

n3wb
Reaction score
What user/password am I supposed to use setting up the home assistant onvif integration?

Personally I use the admin password I configured in Batch Configuration. It is the same to access ONVIF integration.

View attachment 106708
Hmm interesting I dont see my onvif user under the user dialog however it is working with in Home assistant so perhaps I just used the admin account when I set up the onvif integration and when adding onvif using batch config.

I noticed the framerate is quite low in the the image provided my the home assistant integration. Is that something that i have to change in home assistant, the integration or at the doorbell camera itself?

I thought I would try and give a little back with my use case. So I will drop my set up right here:
After I set up the camera and got onvif working courtesy of the kind kind folks on this forum I used the home assistant onvif integration to pull it into home assistant. The motion eye addon Home Assistant Community Add-on: motionEye and integration(which is a separate thing from the addon) motionEye. can also be used to pull the image along with any other cameras you might have into home assistant. I preferred the onvif integration because it gave me pretty decent binary sensors for motion in which I could automate/script off.
From there I used CATT to cast my home assistant dashboard(I found the home assistant built in cast service to be lacking) Using CATT
I then used the custom integration Browser_mod - turn your browser into a controllable device, and a media_player to navigate the dashboard that is cast on the google screen device.
So if somebody currently triggers the onvif sensor my google screen device switches tabs to a tab that contains a card of the video doorbell video.

Todo: IDK maybe a sensor on the chime to detect doorbell presses?

Last edited:

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmm interesting I dont see my onvif user under the user dialog however it is working with in Home assistant so perhaps I just used the admin account when I set up the onvif integration and when adding onvif using batch config.

I just used the admin account for setting up HA / Hikvision / ONVIF. I see the same three accounts I set up using the ONVIF configuration software.

I noticed the framerate is quite low in the the image provided my the home assistant integration. Is that something that i have to change in home assistant, the integration or at the doorbell camera itself?

The framerate is low at around 15 Fps (for me) because it is WiFi (whether 2.4 / 5).

Using MonoCam here for the Alexa Show devices. It is just an app that does a reverse proxy on the camera stream. It is slow on Alexa Show. A direct connection using the Amazon Show browser (thinking that it is Amazon Silk) is much faster.

Relating to DB presses here way back integrated my doorbell to my OmniPro 2 alarm panel using two Elk circuit boards (Elk 960-930). One board triggers via amperage flow and the other board is a debounce board). I could not get the amperage flow board to work right and initially went to a reed sensor inside of the doorbell chime then went to a digital flow sensor with a NC/NO switch on it. It works fine for me today.

These sensors are on Amazon for less than $20. You just pull the AC LV power lines through them and adjust the trigger such that when someone rings the DB the current flow triggers the NC/NO switch. If you are using Tasmota WiFi stuff you can trigger an Tasmota ESP01 and use the MQTT stuff in HA.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just read about CATT.

Nice that it works with Python 2.X and Python 3.X.

Dasbooter

n3wb
Reaction score
Just read about CATT.

Nice that it works with Python 2.X and Python 3.X.
Browser_mod had some way to call a camera too but I was more interested in switching the tabs in the dashboard
The framerate is low at around 15 Fps (for me) because it is WiFi (whether 2.4 / 5).
Seems more like bad security footage from 1995 where the assailant is teleporting around the convenience store. Im using the camera stream provided with the onvif integration

Code:
camera.hsdb2_mainstream
are u using any special options for the onvif integration?