New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

mrceolla

n3wb
Reaction score
Checkout what this POS woodpecker did to the PIR sensor on my doorbell. I put electrical tape over the hole to keep moisture out, and low and behold, no more motion events. Now the only thing that shows up in my history log in the app are button presses.

Having the onboard PIR sensor always seemed like a good idea to me, but it doesn't seem that many other video doorbells offer it. I don't think the new EZVIZ doorbell has it either.

Are there any other options out there with PIR sensors worth a look? Am I foolish to consider buying again what is now a rather old product just for accurate motion detection?

I was considering the EZVIZ version this time just to get the white face plate, but I'm open to other suggestions. I've actually been using the EZVIZ app and IFTTT channel even though I have the RCA model.

Attachments

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Checkout what this POS woodpecker did to the PIR sensor on my doorbell. I put electrical tape over the hole to keep moisture out, and low and behold, no more motion events. Now the only thing that shows up in my history log in the app are button presses.

Having the onboard PIR sensor always seemed like a good idea to me, but it doesn't seem that many other video doorbells offer it. I don't think the new EZVIZ doorbell has it either.

Are there any other options out there with PIR sensors worth a look? Am I foolish to consider buying again what is now a rather old product just for accurate motion detection?

I was considering the EZVIZ version this time just to get the white face plate, but I'm open to other suggestions. I've actually been using the EZVIZ app and IFTTT channel even though I have the RCA model.
I have a new DB1C doorbell for sale in the for sale section

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Wild, how did that bird grab on to the Doorbell? Crazy. I would not use electrical tape, you don't want to block the sensor. Maybe cover the Dome with a clear plastic?

Several of us has experienced people pushing the PIR button instead of the Doorbell button. There is no replacement to my knowledge, did find something close on Amazon awhile back that may have worked.

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wild, how did that bird grab on to the Doorbell? Crazy. I would not use electrical tape, you don't want to block the sensor. Maybe cover the Dome with a clear plastic?

Several of us has experienced people pushing the PIR button instead of the Doorbell button. There is no replacement to my knowledge, did find something close on Amazon awhile back that may have worked.

Every time. The button has a bell on it. Sillyness.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Every time. The button has a bell on it. Sillyness.
We did find that having different covered plates than the button helps, but I still every once in awhile someone will press the PIR.

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We did find that having different covered plates than the button helps, but I still every once in awhile someone will press the PIR.
I bet I have left the status light on for now. Seems to work enough, my bigger issue is how many people ignore the button completely and knock. Since it is mostly salespeople and doordash people I think they are intentionally trying not to get recorded. Like I'd rather not answer the door in person or fumble with the app. The delay lately is taking to long too so I am going in person.

danli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,
My Ezviz DB1 has been running fine for, maybe two years by now.
However, this afternoon it lost contact and went into AP-mode.
It does expose an AP softap_serialno. (yes, I flashed the hikvision firmware to it).
Since it's been so long since I've touched it - I have forgotten every little detail about this device.
Anyone have a hit for me what to do?
(I cannot even remember the password for the doorbell AP).

After playing around with it for a while, I do believe all the blue smoke is gone.
RIP
Time to find a replacement

Cheers
/Daniel

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bet I have left the status light on for now. Seems to work enough, my bigger issue is how many people ignore the button completely and knock. Since it is mostly salespeople and doordash people I think they are intentionally trying not to get recorded. Like I'd rather not answer the door in person or fumble with the app. The delay lately is taking to long too so I am going in person.
So when I got ours 2 1/2 years ago I was looking forward to capturing button presses too, what changed, no one is pressing the button anymore, rare a delivery person presses it these days, hard to believe they think they are not being recorded prior to pressing the button, maybe they just don't want to talk to anyone, which I can't blame them since they are always in a rush, being pushed by their companies. One day I am sure I will replace it with a better Cam and add some PIR sensors around to capture motion.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,
My Ezviz DB1 has been running fine for, maybe two years by now.
However, this afternoon it lost contact and went into AP-mode.
It does expose an AP softap_serialno. (yes, I flashed the hikvision firmware to it).
Since it's been so long since I've touched it - I have forgotten every little detail about this device.
Anyone have a hit for me what to do?
(I cannot even remember the password for the doorbell AP).

After playing around with it for a while, I do believe all the blue smoke is gone.
RIP
Time to find a replacement

Cheers
/Daniel
So you may want to check out our Troubleshooting section in our 101. There are a few things you could try, to get the password, look on the back of the Unit/Doorbell for the verification code.

HTH

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So when I got ours 2 1/2 years ago I was looking forward to capturing button presses too, what changed, no one is pressing the button anymore, rare a delivery person presses it these days, hard to believe they think they are not being recorded prior to pressing the button, maybe they just don't want to talk to anyone, which I can't blame them since they are always in a rush, being pushed by their companies. One day I am sure I will replace it with a better Cam and add some PIR sensors around to capture motion.
I posted it a while back with my reasoning for wanting the button presses but ultimately you are right my frigate person detection catches the person before they are even close to the button. I do have doordash people that will use the button and with working from home I am not always able to get up from my desk when they arrive and they usually do use the button. Delivery people have been hit and miss, not that I really care to talk to them. I did have a neighbor use it when they came looking for footage a few days ago of the last 20 people that are not delivery people I think they all used it though I didn't want to talk to 19 of them. Ultimately using frigate to send the videos to my google homes when a person or car is in my driveway I have the video way before the person gets to the door which is why I haven't switched to the amcrest. I also don't know that I can give up the 180 Vfov. My front entry is very short and the stairs come up from the right so I worry that I may miss the lower steps with a wider image though I would appreciate a better image since I am using facial recognition. Ultimately my goal is two make two-way talk as easy as possible and I am starting to wonder if I should bite the bullet and get a nest cam as I have google hubs and I don't really use the doorbell for any other reason than 2-way talk. I am still searching for a great solution to 2way talk with home assistant though. The last delivery person was like 30 seconds before my phone registered the notification from the app and by then I already headed to the door. That being a full minute after frigate sent the notification that someone was in my driveway. Maybe I am missing a better option with the EZVIZ.

I think that is the root of my issues with the solution that I have currently deployed and I am not sure there is a good solution to the problem of 2way talk with any of the doorbells on the market. The ultimate solution would be able to access the speaker with home assistant to play pre-recorded messages or access the voice on the google hub like you can with the nest doorbell without losing RTSP or Onvif. As it stands using 2way talk from any camera seems to be the most convoluted feature of any camera and there doesn't seem to be any standardization on it. I hope I am just missing something in the onvif docs but I don't think so. I am hoping to create a seamless camera system to use and frigate and the hubs get me 90% of the way there but its missing 2way talk.

danli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
enough, my bigger issue
So you may want to check out our Troubleshooting section in our 101. There are a few things you could try, to get the password, look on the back of the Unit/Doorbell for the verification code.

HTH
I realised I can actually connect to the doorbell via the HIK Connect app (manually via IP) , if I connect to its AP and add the IP it allocates (192.168.8.1). I can get a livestream. But I cannot for the world understand how to set it to connect to the wifi network. I have read the 101 page back and forth, but I really don't understand how to be able to update the settings in the doorbell.

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I realised I can actually connect to the doorbell via the HIK Connect app (manually via IP) , if I connect to its AP and add the IP it allocates (192.168.8.1). I can get a livestream. But I cannot for the world understand how to set it to connect to the wifi network. I have read I the 101 page back and forth, but I really don't understand how to be able to update the settings in the doorbell.
I was able to connect it to wifi by setting the wifi info in the batch config tool if you can connect to the camera.

danli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, if I connect a computer to the doorbell AP, and start batch config it looks like this
Screenshot 2021-12-09 224200.jpg
what is the next step? (everything I've tried so far failed)

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, if I connect a computer to the doorbell AP, and start batch config it looks like this
View attachment 111419
what is the next step? (everything I've tried so far failed)
Does it allow you to add the camera above? If so you can click on the gear and then find the wifi settings and put in your wifi creds. I had to do this but I did have to hook the computer directly to the WIFI ap created by the camera.

danli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does it allow you to add the camera above? If so you can click on the gear and then find the wifi settings and put in your wifi creds. I had to do this but I did have to hook the computer directly to the WIFI ap created by the camera.
If I try to add it via the "lower frame" it says, "access denied". If I try to add it via the + on the upper frame it says device offline.
I will let it rest unpowered until tomorrow, and see if the situation improves when I have a bit more energy.
(It's 11 pm in Sweden right now)
Thanks for the assistance.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If I try to add it via the "lower frame" it says, "access denied". If I try to add it via the + on the upper frame it says device offline.
I will let it rest unpowered until tomorrow, and see if the situation improves when I have a bit more energy.
(It's 11 pm in Sweden right now)
Thanks for the assistance.
So this is how mine is setup. I have to hit Refresh at times to get it to connect. Once connected you can hit the gear for settings under Operation, there you will see everything you can change....

1639093688278.png