New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I stupidly changed the password in my RCA running laview using ivms. What do I need to do in order to get it back to the original and connected? I posted how I was able to get it working before but there's got to be a better way
Other than a Reset I am not sure.

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok I'm not averse to doing that. Are there instructions on doing a reset? I need to get the RCA fw this time

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would try just a Reset on the DB. Take cover off and you will see Reset Button. It should go through setup like Initial Setup.

This is the only RCA firmware I have if you need it.

Attachments

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From our 101:

If you tried to RESET your Doorbell without changing your firmware back to your brand's firmware first, see WARNINGS: section (ex. You own a RCA Doorbell with LaView's firmware installed) and you are unable to get pass the OR Scan Code step. Here is your fix: - rafale

WARNINGS:
⦁ IF YOU JUST RECENTLY (End of 2019 or 2020) PURCHASED A RCA (HSDB2A) DO NOT UPGRADE TO Nelly's FIRMWARE at this time, we have had Four RCA owners who have bricked their Doorbell doing so:
- acmonster - rkulp89 - elvisthedj - jrinco11
IF YOU INSTALL LaView's or Hivision firmware on your new RCA (purchased in 2020), and are successful, please let us know.
NOTE 1: Here is a list of
RCA Owners who are successfully running LaView 190716 firmware and Hikvision 200321 firmware. We are not sure that if for some reason Nelly's firmware is not compatible with the RCA or there is another reason for the bricking when upgraded to Nelly's firmware.
NOTE 2: We do have new RCA owners (see last RCA Owners on our list) who have successfully upgraded to LaView and Hikvision firmware. JUST BEWARE THERE IS STILL THE POSSIBILITY OF BRICKING YOUR DB UNIT!!!
NOTE 3: We have two EZVIZ owners who bricked their Doorbell by upgrading from older firmware 190304 (out of the box), to Hikvision's firmware 200321
- cba123 & itguy78 (BE SURE YOU UPGRADE TO YOUR BRAND'S LATEST FIRMWARE BEFORE CHANGING TO ANOTHER BRAND'S FIRMWARE) SUCCESS: - cba123 & itguy78
NOTE 4: Much Thanks to James92TSi we now have a way to unbrick an RCA - James92TSi (This should work on all bricked DBs)
⦁ DO NOT change the admin Password in
iVMS-4200 or Batch Config. Tool. We found when loading the Batch Configuration Tool for the first time and your Doorbell is Discovered, it will show as "not activated" under security (IGNORE THIS), DO NOT Click the Activate Button. It will force you to set a NEW admin Password on your device (Doorbell) which for most Hikvision Cameras would be a normal process but in this case it disrupts future re-inclusions/configuration through the Mobile Apps. Once done, it is not reversible and cannot be Reset either by Factory Settings Reset or Firmware Reload. - rafale, rafale, - Mtoo22 (Hikvision Partner) Note: digdoug has had a different experience, his DB's password Reset back to it's original password.
⦁ Here is a more Advanced Step-by-Step Procedure to Upgrade/Change your Firmware -
alexdelprete
⦁ RESETTING Your Doorbell (THIS MAY NO LONGER APPLY 06-2020 see below Step-by-Step by alexdelprete); If you have changed your Doorbell's firmware to another brand's firmware (ex. You own a RCA Doorbell but have upgraded to LaView's firmware) DO NOT Reset Your Doorbell without changing your firmware back to your Doorbell brand's firmware. If you Reset without changing it back you will be unable to continue the setup process when coming to scanning the OR Scan Code step. There is a fix if you missed this Warning: - rafale

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh ok. Where can I find the tool? Is that on the front page?

Fractal

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been leveraging this thread since it started. Thanks David L. I originally upgraded my EZVIZ DB1 to Hikvision 200321 in order to get ONVIF. I had written a long detailed post of my steps during COVID lockdown, but Alex and others filled in the blanks before I posted. I am using a mechanical doorbell and everything was running fine for awhile, but after a couple of weeks I did have to upgrade the transformer.

LAN WIFI Change - Reset EZVIZ DB1 while running Hikvision firmware:
I recently changed my LAN SSID and WIFI security settings and this meant I had to reset the camera to change the network. (I removed cover and lost screws in the snow :( ). I reset EZVIZ DB1 while running Hikvison firmware without reverting back to EZVIZ firmware, but then I could not connect to the camera. I tried the Hikvision app and it would see softap_serial, but even when I tried to manually override, it would revert to an EZVIZ_serial and would not join. IVMS did not see.

It took me a few hours to realize I could still use the EZVIZ app to connect the DB1 to the network and then the IVMS4200 could see it. This created a minor hurdle as it created an EZVIZ account (this also happened originally). I tried to manually add the DB1 to the Hikvision App but it said it was already registered in another account. (Hikvision App was seeing the EZVIZ account). Yet, it was not showing under Hikvison with my other cameras. I had issues trying to log in to the EZVIZ website, and I could not reset my EZVIZ password. I deleted the camera from EZVIZ using the EZVIZ app and then manually added it to my Hikvision App. It then showed under my Hikvision account.

Security Concern and Firmware Update:
After all the recent security breaches I revisited the high risk Hikvision vulnerability CVE-2021-36260 corrected Sept 2021. (I would only use VPN, but the doorbell app needed the cloud service. I am re-evaluating the risk and I am considering a work around using a reed relay on the chime coil for remote notification when the bell rings. Local access, local storage, and ONVIF are my main needs.)

I had upgraded firmware on my cameras and thought I should update my DB1 for security. The Hikvision app had been telling me to go to version 220530. I checked the Hikvision website and it said the latest firmware was 211101. I am thinking the 220530 is EZVIZ and was concerned about bricking the unit ( as per another post). I downloaded the 211001 version from Hikvision and used IVMS4200 to upgrade. It only took a couple of minutes and I am now at 211101. With all the red flags around Hikvision security, I at least feel a little better having it updated. (With the cameras Hikvision say upgrades must be installed in succession and not to skip to the latest).

Security Concern - Default Password for Admin:
Given all the recent security news in general, I am more uncomfortable leaving my admin account with the default password that I read could be on some foreign database. If anyone has had any new experience to share after changing the password on an EZVIZ DB1 running Hikvision software that would be good to hear.

So in summary:
1. I successfully reset the EZVIZ camera while running Hikvision firmware without needing to reinstall the EZVIZ firmware. However I had to use the EZVIZ app to reconnect to the network, manually delete the DB1 from EZVIZ, and then manually add it back into Hikconnect using the Hikconnect app.
2. I successfully upgraded from Hikvision firmware 200321 to 211101 without an issue using IVMS4200 locally. (Not to 220530 using the app!)

3. If anyone has had anything to share after changing the password on an EZVIZ DB1 running Hikvision software those stories would be good to hear.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have been leveraging this thread since it started. Thanks David L. I originally upgraded my EZVIZ DB1 to Hikvision 200321 in order to get ONVIF. I had written a long detailed post of my steps during COVID lockdown, but Alex and others filled in the blanks before I posted. I am using a mechanical doorbell and everything was running fine for awhile, but after a couple of weeks I did have to upgrade the transformer.

I recently changed my LAN SSID and WIFI security settings and this meant I had to reset the camera to change the network. (I removed cover and lost screws in the snow :( ). I reset EZVIZ DB1 while running Hikvison firmware without reverting back to EZVIZ firmware, but then I could not connect to the camera. I tried the Hikvision app and it would see softap_serial, but even when I tried to manually override, it would revert to an EZVIZ_serial and would not join. IVMS did not see.

It took me a few hours to realize I could still use the EZVIZ app to connect the DB1 to the network and then the IVMS4200 could see it. This created a minor hurdle as it created an EZVIZ account (this also happened originally). I tried to manually add the DB1 to the Hikvision App but it said it was already registered in another account. (Hikvision App was seeing the EZVIZ account). Yet, it was not showing under Hikvison with my other cameras. I had issues trying to log in to the EZVIZ website, and I could not reset my EZVIZ password. I deleted the camera from EZVIZ using the EZVIZ app and then manually added it to my Hikvision App. It then showed under my Hikvision account.

After all the recent security breaches I revisited the high risk Hikvision vulnerability CVE-2021-36260 corrected Sept 2021. (I would only use VPN, but the doorbell app needed the cloud service. I am re-evaluating the risk and I am considering a work around using a reed relay on the chime coil for remote notification when the bell rings. Local access, local storage, and ONVIF are my main needs.)

I had upgraded firmware on my cameras and thought I should update my DB1 for security. The Hikvision app had been telling me to go to version 220530. I checked the Hikvision website and it said the latest firmware was 211101. I am thinking the 220530 is EZVIZ and was concerned about bricking the unit ( as per another post). I downloaded the 211001 version from Hikvision and used IVMS4200 to upgrade. It only took a couple of minutes and I am now at 211101. With all the red flags around Hikvision security, I at least feel a little better having it updated. (With the cameras Hikvision say upgrades must be installed in succession and not to skip to the latest).

Given all the recent security news in general, I am more uncomfortable leaving my admin account with the default password that I read could be on some foreign database. If anyone has had any new experience to share after changing the password on an EZVIZ DB1 running Hikvision software that would be good to hear.

So in summary:
1. I successfully reset the EZVIZ camera while running Hikvision firmware without needing to reinstall the EZVIZ firmware. However I had to use the EZVIZ app to reconnect to the network, manually delete the DB1 from EZVIZ, and then manually add it back into Hikconnect using the Hikconnect app.
2. I successfully upgraded from Hikvision firmware 200321 to 211101 without an issue using IVMS4200 locally. (Not to 220530 using the app!)

3. If anyone has had anything to share after changing the password on an EZVIZ DB1 running Hikvision software those stories would be good to hear.
Thanks for sharing...I will add your post in our 101...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

So in summary:

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would try just a Reset on the DB. Take cover off and you will see Reset Button. It should go through setup like Initial Setup.

This is the only RCA firmware I have if you need it.
There's two files in there, HSDB2.dav and HSDB2_I.dav. Do you flash both or only one?

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok well I tried to install the RCA app. I can't get an activation code and I can't contact them via the email address. It's got the Laview FW on there now. I'm in the batch tool but it's doing the same thing as the iVMS tool.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok well I tried to install the RCA app. I can't get an activation code and I can't contact them via the email address. It's got the Laview FW on there now. I'm in the batch tool but it's doing the same thing as the iVMS tool.
So did you downgrade firmware in Batch Config. Tool?

kruuth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, I was a little concerned about going to the RCA firmware if I can't get the RCA app to work. Right now it's just flashing blue.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No, I was a little concerned about going to the RCA firmware if I can't get the RCA app to work. Right now it's just flashing blue.
Flashing Blue means it is trying to connect to a WiFi Access Point.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To get other Apps to work you normally have to remove the device (Doorbell) from the previous App first. Apparently we can no longer be on two clouds...