New Setup Questions

ryanchrisw

n3wb
Reaction score
House near me have been getting broken into recently and even packages solen so it's time I get a camera system. Was looking at a Reolink but then found these fourms and after spending about 4 days reading different posts it looks like the Dahua HDW5231-R-Z are the way to go. Should I use them for all around my house or use these plus other ones. I have a decent PC that I can use and setup BI on and have a POE switch. I have no idea where I should mount these for the best chance at IDing someone if the were to break in.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use this: IPVM Camera Calculator V3 keep PPF>100. Tutorial on right. This will allow you to decide where place cams.

Don't mount higher than 8ft for ID purpose's.

Varifocals are hard to beat, they have better night vision than the fixed lens version.

Or this cam for slightly better night vision at the same price.
Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

Looking for some advice and direction!

Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

To start, two cams just above the couch lights on your garage with their views overlapping each other.

Then one on the left eve on front of house, pointing at the sidewalk leading to your front door.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
You don't need to buy all the cams at one time. Get some experience. Eg: you might start with a vari-focal starlight, and using a test rig, figure out if a fixed lens model would work. And which size lens.
And if the slightly poorer nighttime performance of the fixed lens starlight will be an issue (based on ambient lighting)
Lastly, in addition to the cam location that looney2ns mentioned, you may later decide you want a turret near the front door, since it's recessed in a hallway.

Fastb

ryanchrisw

n3wb
Reaction score
Use this: IPVM Camera Calculator V3 keep PPF>100. Tutorial on right. This will allow you to decide where place cams.

Don't mount higher than 8ft for ID purpose's.

Varifocals are hard to beat, they have better night vision than the fixed lens version.

Or this cam for slightly better night vision at the same price.
Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

Looking for some advice and direction!

Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

To start, two cams just above the couch lights on your garage with their views overlapping each other.

Then one on the left eve on front of house, pointing at the sidewalk leading to your front door.
So mount them to the wall not the under side of the roof?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Use a "test rig" to check image.
You want a face shot, not an image of the top of a hoodie or baseball cap

ryanchrisw

n3wb
Reaction score
Would a wedge camera be better for the front door or a turret? It's a weird entry way.

Thanks so much for the direction and advise! Just sent Andy a message to order two of the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. I will definitely build me a test rig and try different placements. I would have never thought to do that. I was going to have my wife stand on a ladder and hold it haha.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Would a wedge camera be better for the front door or a turret? It's a weird entry way.

Thanks so much for the direction and advise! Just sent Andy a message to order two of the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. I will definitely build me a test rig and try different placements. I would have never thought to do that. I was going to have my wife stand on a ladder and hold it haha.

@ryanchrisw Are you thinking of this wedge for front door? IPC-HDBW4231F-AS | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology

Make sure you position it for good ID shot. Here is what someone else did with this camera: Front door ID camera IPC-HDBW4231F?

ryanchrisw

n3wb
Reaction score
So this week I got all the cables ran. Had a question about mounting the camera. I was going to mount to the soffit but these cameras weight a lot more than others I have used in the past. I am also going to mount the cameras above my garage lights at about 6 feet or so. Any advice on mounting to the stucco? I was thinking about running conduit from the soffit down to a box but just not really sure.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So this week I got all the cables ran. Had a question about mounting the camera. I was going to mount to the soffit but these cameras weight a lot more than others I have used in the past. I am also going to mount the cameras above my garage lights at about 6 feet or so. Any advice on mounting to the stucco? I was thinking about running conduit from the soffit down to a box but just not really sure.

Hi Ryan,

You can use conduit if you like, or try to go through down the inside of the wall - that is what I did, worked well - did need to cut some holes in the interior wall / ceiling - but now after I've patched it and painted it looks really good.

ryanchrisw

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Ryan,

You can use conduit if you like, or try to go through down the inside of the wall - that is what I did, worked well - did need to cut some holes in the interior wall / ceiling - but now after I've patched it and painted it looks really good.
Do you have a picture of your setup?

ryanchrisw

n3wb
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My entry way gets blasted with sun in the day so might not be a good choice since it has a dome. Domes are subject to UV screwing up the plastic correct?

HI Ryan,

Over time, yes UV will degrade the plastic. For some by that time they've replaced the camera.

Other reasons also to avoid domes - internal IR reflection issues, other light reflection issues. In general, the turret style is a good replacement for dome cameras.

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Only nice thing about domes are that its hard to tell what direction its filming so not as easy to sneak up from the back or sides to avoid it when it looks the same all around.

GSMarquis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have had to rotate the dome cover before on a cheap dome to a spot on the plastic that was not under constant uv Ray's. I have also wet sanded and meguars plastic x to bring it back before.

My front drive gets heavy afternoon sun. The dome gets sun spots in the image at times. It will get a turret when replacement is due.

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have had to rotate the dome cover before on a cheap dome to a spot on the plastic that was not under constant uv Ray's. I have also wet sanded and meguars plastic x to bring it back before.

My front drive gets heavy afternoon sun. The dome gets sun spots in the image at times. It will get a turret when replacement is due.
I agree, in a sunny spot dome is no good. Of my cameras only one is a dome. Only reason is what i mentioned above that a tresspasser could not see what direction its filming so disabling it without being recorded is harder.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree, in a sunny spot dome is no good. Of my cameras only one is a dome. Only reason is what i mentioned above that a tresspasser could not see what direction its filming so disabling it without being recorded is harder.
Note, some turrets are very solid once secured in place, like the IPC-HDW5231R-Z
Also the non-ePoE version has plenty of metal on the face to help it resist impacts.