New system for parents (and other questions)

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The problem I see with the kits is that most? include wide angle (2.8mm or 3.6mm) cams which are great for a big overview but don't show much details. Then people get discouraged that they can't "dial in" those cams to get identifiable details. You really need to know what your set up is going to be such as:
  • lighting available
  • distance from cam to target
  • field of view to cover
As others have suggested, a varifocal cam is great because you can use it on different spots to see what fixed lens you may need (varifocals are more expensive so if money is an issue, more fixed lens cams are more cost effective). I'm a hobbyist, but if I could go back in time, I would have saved $$ by betting good cams from the start. I have a box of Lorex, Unifi, Avigilon, lower end Dahua cams that I need to sell to recoup some of my money spent on all my 1/1.8" sensor cams I've upgraded to this year. But it's been a great learning opportunity for sure and I don't regret that route I took.

My last purchase from Andy I spent a weekend swapping around 6 or 7 cams to get the right cams in the right location for their lens attributes. Nothing's better than getting a new cam set up and dialed in properly!!

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think they are to that point quite yet (~60's). Maybe in 10 years or so. Thanks!

I think you are right regarding the small business checking on the cameras. My last company I worked for we installed an AXIS camera system that was basically only used by me (no one else ever cared to look at it). I wish I knew what we paid but if I had to guess, I'd be surprised if it was under 40,000 dollars or so. We had a vendor come in and run the cable, install the cameras (there were a lot, maybe 20? I don't know), and it had a fancy server/disk shelf, etc. I wish I knew what it cost...

This is what I was looking for I think. Thank you. The budget sounds about right and I assume it's vastly superior to the $650 costco one? Can you tell me how it's better? I'm guessing just better picture, maybe some zoom, better hardware in the NVR so it doesn't choke up as much as the Lorex one, etc? This is the ideal response that I was looking for. As I said, I'm not trying to complicate it and get NSA level crazy, just the basics but something good for the money. I'm a camera noob just trying to understand. Thank you.
Yes it will best the Costco one. The cameras I mention are budget friendly with just a great picture. Perfect to just get cameras up and going with excellent results. They will blow your Amazon domes you linked to out of the water. Super easy to install too. The nvr I mention will match right up with the cameras and all will work seamlessly

Two great threads here on the cameras and a poe nvr.

Buy from empire Andy found in the vendor forum. He'll get you the gear and it will be authentic dahua gear. If you get the bug to buy even better dahua cameras this will all still be plug and play. Make sure you get good ethernet cables too.

If you install this for your parents be warned, you'll dig it so much you'll probably think way less of your current system at home. Be prepared to upgrade your home too ;)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A Honda accord for transporting up to four adults and no cargo typically. A Chevy Suburban for a family of six-eight. A Ford Ranger for a single person with towing needs (up to 7,500 lbs). A dually if you have need of towing horses. See that wasn't so hard when you actually put in a little effort to your responses, huh?
Hi ipcamforum,

I bought and tried all the suggestions you gave me, and they all failed.

Why?

Because I work and live in an area which is mountainous and has a lot of poor roads, many which are dirt roads. This is especially a challenge when it rains or snows. Often I have to drive me and 2-3 of my employees / co-workers to the job site and back.

As you can see
1) Honda Accord - fails to work here
2) Chevy Suburban - fails too big for some roads...
3) Ford Ranger - also fails..

So .. the lesson: Without knowing more, giving random answers does not solve the issues.

Also, camera models and tech is not static, they are changing. The pandemic is also affecting the supply chain. Thus, what was a great answer for models 2-3 years ago may not longer be as good, in fact the cameras may no longer be available. How much unpaid time should I take to look up this information for you?

All of us have contributed to make some great notes and a guide based on information, knowledge, and experiences shared here.

WE HAVE TAKEN THE TIME TO WRITE IT DOWN.

It is readily available for FREE.

There are good CCTV contractors out in most all metro areas which you can hire to assist you further if you are not interested in taking advantage of the collection of information we have invested our time in to share with others.

I've written 1672 words in this thread so far (not including this comment) giving you details/comments/questions. I said, hypothetically, I'm a restaurant owner, you're my IT camera guy and I need you to advise me and set up a camera system for me...
1) "I've written 1672 words in this thread so far .."
Q: how many words do you think we have all contributed that got condensed and edited into the Cliff Notes? Into SouthernYankee's executive summary notes?

2) ".. you're my IT camera guy and I need you to advise me .."
Reply: IT camera guy would reply: You've already used your first and second and third free consultations ... time to pay for my time.

Last edited: