New system help please

nebo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ya'lls patience with my ignorance is greatly appreciated and your willingness to help is amazing. Mad reps to you fellas! I probably overuse the thank you button by some peoples standards, but I really do appreciate the help greatly!

I plan to study and read the above posts overnight. In a nutshell, this all helps with my thoughts that the NVR would work like a switch. Wrongo. Sounds like central park is the house, but the two remote switches AND the NVR just serve as children that need to report back to the 'main trunk switch'/'enterprise class switch' as quoted from above that would be at the house....

we keep this up, the engineering group at our company will have me networking our building management system as well as working on the chillers, boilers and other equipment attached to the end of it......but doubt it. lol

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not fully aware of the deep intricate workings of their Linux implementations, but this does make sense. thank you for the clarification. This is why I said "like" NAT, not a NAT. I can see the confusion though. it's not a routing device of any sort so it isn't NATing anything at all. If you were to connect SADP via Ethernet to the PoE switch, you can actually see straight through the recorder, as it appears twice (once per interface; the main NIC and the switch). Connect to the main NIC, and you get only 1. Basically it's just packet forwarding then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Basically it's just packet forwarding then.
Yes.
Given the correct gateway configuration (ie the NVR PoE interface IP address) in, say, a camera on a PoE port, and the right routing information (ie don't forward packets for the 192.168.254.0 network out to the internet, send them to the NVR LAN port) on the LAN device (eg PC) default gateway (ie router), all traffic sent to devices on the 192.168.254.0 network from the LAN will flow through the NVR. And the camera can reach the internet, which is both good and not so good.
But that's not how the Virtual Host works - it's a form of proxy.
It just happens that when you enable Virtual Host, the NVR also enables the Linux kernel IP forwarding facility between the 2 NVR network interfaces.

nebo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
LOL should see what it does to a human....... I won't post that picture tho
ive had arc flash training for my work and have seen the pics and videos. Yea I'm with ya, not posting those here. I've been hit good by 480 before too. It grabbed me. Hurts a lil. Lol.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
But that's not how the Virtual Host works - it's a form of proxy.
Right, and that's why the NVR remaps port 80 from the cameras to port 6500x on the NVR (x being the channel number) when viewing the individual IPCs through the NVR Web GUI. Like on routers how you can set the internal and external port differently. I do this at home since I host a few different things on a home server, so port 80 is taken. It resides on 81 on the outside, but still is 80 locally. One of these days I'll get the VPN going for true security, just haven't had any time. Until then I'm getting by with lengthy complex passwords. That's not good enough though long-term. Isolation +1

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ive had arc flash training for my work and have seen the pics and videos. Yea I'm with ya, not posting those here. I've been hit good by 480 before too. It grabbed me. Hurts a lil. Lol.
All ill say is we found the guy about 15 feet from the his shoes that were in a sense welded to the concrete

nebo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
here are pics of the switches that were given to me. I think I can get some more. They are obsolete for work now.

switch.jpg switch1.jpgswitch2.jpg

The price was right, couldn't I use these at each building (including house) with my fiber even though they are only FE, and not need any media converters? I just need the correct module?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Also, from a quick glance at the pics, that is a POE switch. No injector needed.

Edit: nope.

Sent by my Trunk Monkey™

Last edited by a moderator:

nebo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. I think he said he can get me more as they upgrade to larger switches, so it would be good to have some spares. Correct, they are not POE. The IT guy that gave me the obsolete switches said he can get me the SPF modules too that they don't need anymore.

When he gets me a third switch, I could have one at each of my three buildings.
great score!

yeah get some Gbit SPF adapters, way cheap.. but I dont think those are PoE switches..
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2940-series-switches/product_data_sheet09186a00801973c8.html

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
since you got these nice switches for free, look at midspans for your PoE needs.. that way you dont have to branch switches off switches and worry about uplink choking..

these are a steal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PowerDsine-7006G-6-Port-Power-over-Ethernet-PoE-Midspan-Power-Injectors-/391028003628?hash=item5b0b15d32c:g:LDQAAOSw8d9UtZqR

buy a bunch of 1' prefab network jumper cables, go from switch/midspan and then midspan/patch panel in your wiring cabinet at each building.

You might be able to pickup full height a 2 post rack and then chop into 3rds and then bolt those inside a cupboard for all your wiring of each building.. just make sure it can breath, those cisco's will generate some heat.

Attachments

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nebo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sounds good, appreciate that.

Since you dropped a 'patch panel' on me and wasn't sure why it was needed, I just did a bunch of reading why I would need the patch panel. I'm so small and really could go straight to the switch, but this info I just found on a Google search from Cisco's site, laid out some good reasons to get one anyway. Still not sure that I really need to, as basic as my system will be.

One thing for sure, I've been in a lot of IDF closets here at the plant to work on my HVAC equipment, and now they are seeming to make more and more sense. ha

And now that you introduced me to 'midspan', this helped to understand the differences for reference to anyone else reading, that needs to know.
since you got these nice switches for free, look at midspans for your PoE needs.. that way you dont have to branch switches off switches and worry about uplink choking..

these are a steal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PowerDsine-7006G-6-Port-Power-over-Ethernet-PoE-Midspan-Power-Injectors-/391028003628?hash=item5b0b15d32c:g:LDQAAOSw8d9UtZqR

buy a bunch of 1' prefab network jumper cables, go from switch/midspan and then midspan/patch panel in your wiring cabinet at each building.

You might be able to pickup full height a 2 post rack and then chop into 3rds and then bolt those inside a cupboard for all your wiring of each building.. just make sure it can breath, those cisco's will generate some heat.
If I talk to my contact at work, he might be able to find me some racks they don't need anymore or have torn out and are going to throw away. Thanks for the ideas!

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
punchdowns are much easier and quicker to roll out than crimping ends, also less likely to give you issues... If you just have a couple runs in each building then get a pack of these: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Pack-Surface-Mount/dp/B00IO3HC6A/

your camera side you have to crimp, no way around it really.. but at the switch I prefer to use punchdowns.

patch panels let you get clever and flexible, lets say my camera on the back of the house somehow got reset to defaults and I have to connect directly to it.. just unplug the camera from the switch, unplug my workstation from the switch, and jumper the bitches together in the wiring room... then now my computer in my office is directly wired to the camera on the back of the house just like I had it sitting in my office.. and I didnt have to do any permeant changes, just a few reroutes and it'll all go back to the way it was.

I terminate everything into a patch panel.. got 3 ethernet cables going to my gaming console closet, and 2 ethernet cabels going behind my TV.. the Nintendo Wii has a RGB to CAT6 adapter in the cabinet, there is another one behind the TV, and both runs are patched together in the server room.. its like I have a cable ran directly from the Nintendo to the TV, but I dont its 2 separate runs patched together and I can repurpose this at any time for anything I might want to do w/it in the future.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nebo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So here is probably some dumb questions.

I'm now assuming that the free switches I was given, and the midspan, and the network I have now decided to build, will require a computer to configure and set up and maintain these devices?

My earlier posts mentioned that I only have an outdated laptop (about 8-10 years old) and hadn't planned to buy a new one. My kids have laptops for school, and I have a work laptop, but they will not allow downloading of any programs or software etc.

But now that I understand the NVR better, and have expanded to add switches and midspans etc, it looks like I won't be able to plug and play?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you will need a computer to set everything up, but just needs a browser on the same network and you good..

once its all setup and running it should just keep running until a hardware failure of some sort... once its all going your can simply plug a display into the NVR to review recordings/live feeds if you dont have/want another machine on the network for that.

The setup is pretty simple, reset the switches to default config and they should be in a simple, plug-n-play state.. they might not be now, since they are used coming out of an existing environment.. .most of it is just configuring the devices to join the network, and once you can talk to them the are ready to start recording.

nebo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks @nayr. Wouldn't my old laptop be sufficient to set up the devices? I have been considering a larger/newer tablet of some sort due to using iScore at ballgames for scoring of my daughters softball team, but that probably would not work for this purpose?