New system question

Gjolico

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been wanting to install a video security system for quite some time and I am ready to take the plunge.
I am very handy so DIY installation does not scare me.
The portion I find confusing is the after installation setup.
The system that I am looking at is from the IPCT store. It is the IPCT-604(4K)-4P NVR with 4x turrets IPCT-2X4G-DM.
I am looking for a very low-maintenance system once installation is complete. In the sense that once my cameras are plugged to the NVR and the setup is complete, I do not want to play with settings and keep going to the NVR.
Here is the part that confuses me:
  • Once I am done setting up the cameras on the NVR plugged on a monitor, can I unplug the monitor and never have to go back to the NVR?
  • For an Apple user, can I access live video for this specific system via the Hikvision app on the apple store?
  • Is video playback on the app behind a monthly subscription plan?
  • I understand the benefits of running Blue Iris on a computer however, I do not want the hassle of having to connect a physical Windows PC to the system as I only have MacBooks at home.

Thank you again for your help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been wanting to install a video security system for quite some time and I am ready to take the plunge.
I am very handy so DIY installation does not scare me.
The portion I find confusing is the after installation setup.
The system that I am looking at is from the IPCT store. It is the IPCT-604(4K)-4P NVR with 4x turrets IPCT-2X4G-DM.
I am looking for a very low-maintenance system once installation is complete. In the sense that once my cameras are plugged to the NVR and the setup is complete, I do not want to play with settings and keep going to the NVR.
Here is the part that confuses me:
  • Once I am done setting up the cameras on the NVR plugged on a monitor, can I unplug the monitor and never have to go back to the NVR?
  • For an Apple user, can I access live video for this specific system via the Hikvision app on the apple store?
  • I understand the benefits of running Blue Iris on a computer however, I do not want the hassle of having to connect a physical Windows PC to the system as I only have MacBooks at home.

Thank you again for your help.
Blue iris and a physical pc will be less of a hassle than an nvr. An NVR is not a macbook either. If you insist on a mac see security spy. Either will be way better than any nvr on the market. The cameras you are looking at will not perform well in low light/night.

Gjolico

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue iris and a physical pc will be less of a hassle than an nvr. An NVR is not a macbook either. If you insist on a mac see security spy. Either will be way better than any nvr on the market. The cameras you are looking at will not perform well in low light/night.
Hi Fenderman,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand the difference between the NVR and a MacBook, thank you.
I have already looked into SecuritySpy, and from what I understood, it requires the Mac that is running the software to be always on, which is what I am trying to avoid.
I know that it is not the recommended setup to have an NVR but for my needs, it would be enough.

Would you happen to have an answer for one of these following questions:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand the difference between the NVR and a MacBook, thank you.
I have already looked into SecuritySpy, and from what I understood, it requires the Mac that is running the software to be always on, which is what I am trying to avoid.
I know that it is not the recommended setup to have an NVR but for my needs, it would be enough.

Would you happen to have an answer for one of these following questions:
An NVR is simply a computer running a fixed OS. Why are you fixated on what its called?
I suggest you buy the nvr, when you regret it come back. Some people need to learn the hard way
yes you use an app from the app store there is no subscription.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Read Study Plan before spending money
Cameras are for surveillance to get information for after the fact. Cameras are NOT a deterrent.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) Start with a good variable focus camera, so you test for the correct lens,lighting, camera placement.
4) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
5) Do not use wifi cameras.
6) Do not use cloud storage
7) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
8) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
9) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
10) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo, Vivint cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
11) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
12) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
13) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
14) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
15) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
16) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator
17) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
18) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
19) Camera lens size, a bigger number give more range but less field of view. Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?
20) verify your camera placement, have a friend wearing a hoodie, ball cap and sunglasses looking down approach the house, can you identify them at night ?
21) DO NOT UPGRADE your NVR or camera unless you absolutely have a problem that needs to be fixed and known what you are doing, if you do you will turn it into a brick !!

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Doing it right the first time will save you money.
Test do not guess

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Cameras are for surveillance to get information for after the fact. Cameras are NOT a deterrent.
I was going to say the same thing.

I'm sure the OP probably used the term "video security system " without thinking about it. But it is good to make sure they have realistic goals set before they start. A video system is not a replacement for a security system. The only way a video system works as a security system is if someone is monitoring the video streams 24/7 with security on premise. Anything else isn't security, but instead just a way to have a video history of what happened.