New to BI and looking to dive in

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the 2231xx-S2 but the 3241 is the same camera, I wouldn't worry about -40. There's a number of people on here in Canada, Sweden and a lot of other cold places that use these cameras, and they all have basically the same temperature specs, with no problems.

As an aside, I'd love to get out to ND. I used to travel extensively for business but never got there.

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
nevermind i found the info on amazon thru empire andy. they only go down to -22F operating temp. only the ipc-hdw2231t-as s2 goes to -40F operating temp.

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the 2231xx-S2 but the 3241 is the same camera, I wouldn't worry about -40. There's a number of people on here in Canada, Sweden and a lot of other cold places that use these cameras, and they all have basically the same temperature specs, with no problems.

As an aside, I'd love to get out to ND. I used to travel extensively for business but never got there.
well nothing has changed, cause you know ND is slow to catch up to the rest of the world in everything. we are like 10yrs behind on everything. but thats a good thing i guess if you are looking for that which i love coming from a town that is 200k in size.

and yes we are still low on homicides across the state, petty crimes are up but nothing compared to big cities, hence the reason the ID part isnt such a big deal. heck we even watch the neighbors dogs next door when they go on vacation and i help snow blow the neighbor across the street.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't deal with the cold like I used to. Physical/medical problems, or I'd seriously consider moving there just to have the room to "breath" and get out from under the crazy taxes and insane government here.

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
well now that i was able to lookup the full detail spec, going with the IPC-T3241T-ZAS 2MP Lite AI IR Vari-Focal Eyeball IP Camera.

pro's:
1. 3 steams
2. mic
3. higher bandwidth 8192 vs 6144

cons:
1. 7.8w vs 6.4w

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can't deal with the cold like I used to. Physical/medical problems, or I'd seriously consider moving there just to have the room to "breath" and get out from under the crazy taxes and insane government here.
yeah dont have to worry about being cramped, especially if you dont mind the small towns littering the 5 major hubs of ND (Fargo, Grand Forks, Bismarck, Minot, Williston - Stay away unless you like oil field towns). taxes on avg are about 7.5% to 8.5% in the big towns to 5% in small towns. but big purchases are maxed at 5% (like vehicles) food costs are higher though along with gas at times. but in the end, i wouldnt trade it for big city life or retirement states.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Most cameras let you select a manual bit rate well in excess of what the "advertised" rate is. Again, you're not trying to be Hollweird. I use 8192 on the 4MP cameras and 4096 on the 2MP, but my eyes are kind of old.

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
lol looking on amazon found a 4mp 1.8 camera from empire andy, ugh nice way to throw a wrench in the decision.

looks to be the model listed in your sig line

5442T-ZE

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The three basic rules of video surveillance cameras-

Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The three basic rules of video surveillance cameras-

Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.
1. yeah not going to happen, no way to add more than 2 cameras to the house without $$$ contractor to run lines/power to other locations.
2. once i get a decent set for the front of the house i wont replace unless one dies
3. front door is the only one i cant run a poe line to, no access to the inside wall to run a line without tearing out the wall.

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
guess i could try 5442T-ZE and see how it goes. with a bracket i will be under $200 from empire andy

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5442 is a good compromise of resolution, price and performance, I have a 5442T-ZE running a burn in test right now and it is a really nice camera. Great in low light, great in full daylight and great B&W.

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 5442 is a good compromise of resolution, price and performance, I have a 5442T-ZE running a burn in test right now and it is a really nice camera. Great in low light, great in full daylight and great B&W.
yeah just pulled up the specs, and that 2mp 60fps looks awesome

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Just because a camera can do 30 or 60fps doesn't mean it needs, or should, to be used. Running high frame rates also loads the CPU in the camera and they aren't exactly 10th generation or thread rippers. What happens is other things don't work or work unreliably like built in detection features and so on.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@sebastiantombs has been giving you great advice. The 5442 is a great camera and will blow away the other options you are looking at.

It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything other than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything other than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL).

Sensor sizing can confuse a lot of people LOL.

Is a 1/2.8" sensor bigger than a 1/1.8" sensor? Most people say yes LOL. But it is a fraction, so the 1/1.8" sensor is the bigger of the two.

Also, keep in mind that these type of cameras, although are spec'd and capable of these various parameters, real world testing by many of us shows if you try to run these cameras at higher fps and higher bitrates than needed that you will max out the CPU in the camera and then the camera bugs out just long enough that you miss something or video is choppy. My car is rated for 6,000RPM redline, but I am not gonna run it in 3rd gear on the highway at 6,000RPM...same with these types of cameras - gotta keep them under rated capacity. Some may do better than others, but you are running the CPU higher.

Look at all the threads where people came here with a jitter in the video or IVS missing motion and they were running 30FPS and when people tell them to drop the FPS and they dropped the FPS to 15FPS the camera became stable. As always, YMMV...

Movies on the big screen are shot at 24FPS, I do not think we need 30FPS for our mobile devices and tablets LOL. Shutter speed to capture details is much more important than FPS.

15 FPS is sufficient for surveillance cameras.

I have a cam set at 1/2000 shutter speed and 10fps. Blows my neighbors video out of the water and he is running 60fps and cannot figure out why mine is better.

His may "look" better watching real speed as it isn't as choppy, but the police don't care that the criminal can run smoothly, they want a picture of a face, or a license plate. Had a break-in in the neighborhood, my footage was the only one the police could do anything with. But wow, that arlo did have a smooth looking video...

Shutter speed is where it is at, not fps, especially for trying to capture a picture.

Last edited:

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@sebastiantombs

can you mount this on vertical wall onto a junction box and it still work

junction box.jpg

or do you need the wall mount

wall mount.jpg