New to BI and looking to dive in

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The top one is a junction box...as is the bottom one...but the bottom one is to install the camera horizontal usually...

You can go with either style, or go with no junction box and waterproof the connection and shove it into the wall.

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The top one is a junction box...
yeah but i was wondering if i could mount it to that instead of the wall mount and it still work. normally you dont see a turret being used on a junction box on a vertical wall only on eaves

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah but i was wondering if i could mount it to that instead of the wall mount and it still work. normally you dont see a turret being used on a junction box
But that wall mount is a junction box as well LOL. So use that or mount the turret straight to the wall and shove the cable into the wall...

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
reason being is i dont want to push it out too far and get blinded by the floodlights

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Then skip the junction box/mount and screw it directly to the wall.

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
just take the junction box and turn it so its vertical instead of horizontal

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are not understanding what I am saying...

A junction box is optional if you don't want it because it sticks out too far. That junction box can go vertical or horizontal.

But you can use either one or none, whichever suites your fancy.

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
reason being is using a junction box vertically will keep the unit closer to the wall and out of being blinded by the floodlight, the wall mount pushes it out that it might get blinded if the floodlight is below the camera. i was thinking it would be easier to mount the junction box to siding than the wall mount. but i wont know that until i have my electrician look at it. he wont come to look at anything until i get teh camera then he can decide on how to mount the junction box.

either way mounts work but i am just guessing on the method of mounting that would be easier since i am clueless on mounts. i've only mounted floodlights to the existing junction box and i am adding a 2nd box about the current light to mount the camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are concerned that the camera could come out too far, then skip the junction box and shove the cables into the wall and mount it directly to the siding. Many here have done just that for a smaller profile.

It's either 3 screws from the junction box into the siding or 3 screws from the camera into the siding! Either way it is 3 screws. The hole for the cable becomes slightly larger as you shoving the whole connection through instead of just a smaller ethernet wire, but that is the only difference.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The junction box will take it out at least to the end of the base.

Here is a picture of someone's install with that junction box on siding:

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The junction box will take it out at least to the end of the base.

Here is a picture of someone's install with that junction box on siding:

ok so it will work mounting it to vertical surface based on that picture. that wont affect the usability of the camera?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And you could mount it without the junction box as well.

We would suggest that before you mount it, test it at that spot both day and night to see if your floodlights would impact it. Every situation is different. Some get blinded directly above and some get blinded directly below. Has to be tested in the field.

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And you could mount it without the junction box as well.

We would suggest that before you mount it, test it at that spot both day and night to see if your floodlights would impact it. Every situation is different. Some get blinded directly above and some get blinded directly below. Has to be tested in the field.
yeah once i get the camera and junction box, my co worker who is an electrician will figure out the best way to mount the junction box. then i can either move the camera above the light or move the camera to the lower box and move the light to the top box. right now i have the flood light pointing down to the drive way so as to not blind the neighbors across the street.

Untitled.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is one mounted straight to brick without a junction box, but it is even easier on vinyl LOL

1622257987705.png

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
well i am thinking of using a junction box cause the winters up here are pretty much sideways snow all the time so snow would ingress into the base unless its properly sealed, easier with a weatherproof junction box and a rubber gaskets between the camera base and junction box and then sealing the junction box to either a siding j-block or siding mount and recessing the junction box.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Camera base to junction box will be metal on metal LOL and there is no gasket between the two.

The camera itself is sealed. So it comes down to waterproofing the connection point. And most here would suggest waterproofing that even if it a junction box...

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hence the electrician friend making sure everything is to code :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If your community even has a code requirement for this type of wiring LOL.