New to BI and looking to dive in

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Having had 2 of the mentioned camera's mounted in the same spot., I can tell you that the IPC-T2431T-AS 3.6mm isnt as good at seeing in the dark as the
Loryta IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED 2.8mm in the same location. and I have quite a bit of night light at my Garage door on the Condo. I'm digging up images. be right back
um we havent been discussing the camera's you listed.

we were discusssing ...

IPC-T2231T-ZS 1/2.8 2.7mm to 13.5mm 2MP Starlight Turret Varifocal IP Camera
IPC-T3241T-ZAS 1/2.8 2.7mm to 13.5mm 2MP Lite AI IR Vari-Focal Eyeball IP Camera
IPC-T5442T-ZE 1/1.8 2.7mm to 12mm 4MP IR Vari-Focal Eyeball Starlight Network Camera

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh they got you past 2.8mm flood cams into varifocals. Good. they have great optics.
actually i was trying to get away from floodlight cams (which i currently have) and going to dedicated camera's and dedicated floodlights.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
actually i was trying to get away from floodlight cams (which i currently have) and going to dedicated camera's and dedicated floodlights.
Smart choice!

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m on the learning curve as well. Started out with a Costco camera system at home that was underwhelming. and then I inherited an IMAX PC proprietary surveillance software computer at Work with 12 cameras that were like 640 x 480 in black-and-white muddy fuzzy crap. After a few criminal activities in the parking lot of the condo at my new job I realize I needed to up my game in surveillance so about a year or so ago I stumbled in here looking for answers

Last edited:

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Smart choice!
lol well we have to start at the bottom and work up somehow.

went from

3 x regular light bulb floodlights
3 x led light bulbs in floodlights
3 x 3k color floodlights
3 x 5k color floodlights
3 x ring floodlights
3 x eufy floodlights
2 x eufy floodlights & 1 x amcrest floodlight

now i have in my cart

2 x IPC-T5442T-ZE 1/1.8 2.7mm to 12mm 4MP IR Vari-Focal Eyeball Starlight Network Camera and junction boxes

need to find a decent floodlight cam for the front door as i cant ever get a poe line to that location. waiting for the foscam F41/FLC to release to replace my eufy floodlight in that location. not too concerned with the quality at that location or i might just go with a good door bell cam

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Now thanks to these guys,,,I have a blue iris computer at work running about 13 or 14 cameras and I also have a night owl 16 channel HD DVR to replace the IMAX PC. I’m kinda stuck with about a dozen coax runs in an old building that I don’t know if I want to try an upgrade or not.

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Now thanks to these guys,,,I have a blue iris computer at work running about 13 or 14 cameras and I also have a night owl 16 channel HD DVR to replace the IMAX PC. I’m kinda stuck with about a dozen coax runs in an old building that I don’t know if I want to try an upgrade or not.
well at least you have lines in place that you could piggy back the new line pull, tied them off to the coax and pull the new ethernet cables with (my suggestion would be to tied off two ethernet lines to the coax pull and have a spare in case one fails, run prob cat 6 or 6a unless you really want to future proof out to cat 7)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Somebody in here turned me on to another form of powerline solution to a distant location,,,for my remote garage. It was the Ubiquiti 2.4Ghz Loco Nano stations set up as a pair that push data from a Dvr in the remote garage back to the BI computer. Sends data 400 feet across the air, real nice.

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i run slim cat 6a for all my network cabinet stuff from monoprice

here is a regular cat 5e cable compared to my slim line cat 6a cable. (regular cat 6 and 7 are even thicker than the 5e cable)

cat 6a.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, keep in mind there is a well kept secret that with a powerline adapter you can run internet over your electric wires for that hard to reach place to get POE...in addition to the nanostation mentioned above.

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Somebody in here turned me on to another form of powerline solution to a distant location,,,for my remote garage. It was the Ubiquiti 2.4Ghz Loco Nano stations set up as a pair that push data from a Dvr in the remote garage back to the BI computer. Sends data 400 feet across the air, real nice.
yeah i run all unifi stuff, ap, switch, controller but just wasnt getting the xfer speed on the unifi ap in mesh mode. so i went out and got a netgear powerline 2000 set. getting about 114mbps (ookla speedtest) and (14-20 MBps) local file transfer using the powerline. dont get the powerline 1200 ones, i had that and was only getting about 56mbps (ookla speed test) and 7 MBps file transfer

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the filtered outlet on the powerline 2000 makes a huge difference in xfer speed. if you plug anything into the same outlet box as the adapter it kills the xfer speed.

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Heres the Blue Iris screen setup at work. I think between the 3 recorders running i have 25 cameras running.
yeah not getting even close to crazy setup like that. at most 3 camera's on BI. i probably move the amcrest to the back porch for when we let the dogs out to go poop/pee at night. then i will be at 4 but the back porch will be maybe at 15 fps max as nothing happens back there with a 7ft tall no gap fence. actually its taller since the fence sits atop a hill and the ground level is another foot lower than the fence.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
3. not too concerned about id as we dont get much foot traffic in the area except people in the subdivision walking a dog or excercising (in a closed subdivision shaped like an eye bolt, 1 entry into or out). only have had 1 incident personally in 14yrs and that was just a guy climbing my 7ft wood fence to get away from the police.
No point having cameras if you can't ID. Your situation will be no different to if you find the door kicked in and didn't see what happened, in which case it's cheaper to find the door kicked in than install cameras that tell you what you would have found anyway without any further detail.

The whole point of cameras is to deter or capture. Preferably the former, if not the latter.

If someone does break in, cause damage etc, then without a means of identification, your cameras are useless. The best you can say to the police is a white guy in blue jeans and a white t-shirt was seen on my property. Given there's probably 10,000 people fitting that description in your city, even assuming the perp has come from your city and not travelled to commit the crime, the chances of anyone capturing them is near zero.

The whole point of CCTV is to be able to identify who committed the crime and have them arrested to prevent them from committing others (maybe repeats on you - a favourite in the UK is to burgle a house, wait a month until the insurance have replaced all the goods, then burgle it again!). Without the identification, you have nothing only a vague description. A red car, a guy in blue jeans and a tshirt. Pretty useless in the scheme of things. The identification gives you the ability to say it was a white guy, in blue jeans and a tshirt driving a red Ford Fiesta, with a Max Power sticker on the front fender, a dent in the passenger door and by the way, here's a good picture of his face, do you recognise him?

There are proven favourite cameras for this: 4mp Dahua 5442, and the current favourite due to it's night time performance, 4k Hik Vision Hikvision ColorVu + 4K (DS-2CD2087G2-L) .

Remember however, as ST said above, you need to match the lens to your situation / prupose as even the bestc amera can't identify if the fov is too wide. Need a mix of over view and identification cameras therefore.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah over here in this part of St. Paul we were getting Urban problems like Stolen cars dumped in p Lot. Converter cut out of 1 car. Cheech n Chongers smoking it up in the dark end of the P Lot. Door checkers cruising thru, looking for an easy pawnshop buck.
And inside we had Tit for Tat car Keyers. Oh and a Hmong gang stealing incoming and outgoing mail….(George Floyd related mail carrier key thefts from Post office looting.)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The active deterrence of setting up “ in plain view” cams in common areas, has curbed all the inside behavior.