Newb.. planning

blazin912

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been doing some reading and i'm slowing planning my build. I think a HDBW4231F-AS will do for the front porch and the basement door. I want to monitor my back yard where we have a pool. Thinking another 4231 can handle detect purposes. This leaves my driveway open. Camera below the eaves would be about 10-15ft height, closest corner to street is 40ft according to IPVM calculator. This gives a huge blindspot on my garages. My house is surrounding on the garage side and backyard by 20 acres of forest, but if someone pulls up my driveway past the camera we'd be blind. Any thoughts? How do people handle this?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Any pics of the garage you can share? I have multiple cams to cover my driveway/garage area and they are typically at the 8-9' area above the driveway. A picture may provide more ideas as to what your options may be.

blazin912

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll post a screenshot from ipvm later. Maybe I could cross 2 -4232 from each corner of my driveway. Then one pointed down towards the road. I agree more cameras, just overwhelmed with the amount from dahua, great that they are purpose built but hard to weed through

blazin912

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Camera capturing the curb of the circle is a 5231RZE, the rest are 4231FAS.

I recognize the actual use of the wedge cameras at long range is not there, but it was more it illustrate the overlap. Plan would be to add one more camera to the back for detect purposes. This satellite view doesn't show our pool, but in the general location of the patio. Would be nice to see the presence of people.

Not shown is the hilly nature of my property:

House sits about 6-8' above the street, back right door enters the basement which is probably close to street height. So there's a hill UP from the basement level and down from the center of the front yard. Drive way is sloped downward. Cameras capturing the garages/driveway would sit maybe 10-15' and be 16-23' above street level.

Front door and basement door cameras would be portrait orientation and pretty straight forward at 8' high. Front door has an overhang/porch this would be mounted in, backdoor has nothing. Front door faces SE, basement door NE.

Thoughts on camera selection? Yes more cameras, but maybe 1 for Detect with >80deg FOV for back?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

Good pictures and lay out diagram.

I would put two cameras at the back to cover the patio and back door.
For the future as a tight focus 6+mm or zoom camera pointing down the road.
I also have cameras inside the house point at the outside doors.
-------------------------------------------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (Store | IP Cam Talk) if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) use only cameras that support POE (power over ethernet). One less wire to deal with and easier to keep on a UPS.

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW5231-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

blazin912

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't even think about covering back doors. Duh.. my deck has two back doors. Covering those with wedge cameras would actually cover pool as well I suspect. So that's 6, call it 8 for good measure. Sounds like a 16-150w ubiquiti in the basement is needed. Oh shucks. :)

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
How concerned are you about night time coverage? I would think those dome covers on the 4231 are going to reflect IR right back at you at night. I've had really good luck with the 5231 ball cameras. They have great night vision and a varifocal lens.

blazin912

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How concerned are you about night time coverage? I would think those dome covers on the 4231 are going to reflect IR right back at you at night. I've had really good luck with the 5231 ball cameras. They have great night vision and a varifocal lens.
Hmm I definitely want some coverage at night, I didn't realize the 4321f-as were poor. I assumed their popularity for porch included some night coverage

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I would search the forum - I recall seeing posts regarding the IR reflecting back at night. I don't run any cams with a dome on them so, I don't have 1st hand experience with the issue. Just thought I would throw it out there as a consideration for you.

blazin912

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would search the forum - I recall seeing posts regarding the IR reflecting back at night. I don't run any cams with a dome on them so, I don't have 1st hand experience with the issue. Just thought I would throw it out there as a consideration for you.
Thanks I'll see what I can find

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Always test all proposed locations before permanent install for at least 24hrs.

4321f-as doesn't have a problem with IR reflection, IF the cover is properly re-installed. And the camera is properly positioned. Any camera can have IR reflection issue's if not properly positioned. This is why the test install is good practice.
The problem with domes in general is that they will degrade over time from the sun as well as dirt and rainspots on the dome reflecting IR.
But they do make a great front door cam.
Best to position them so they don't get direct sun exposure.

blazin912

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Always test all proposed locations before permanent install for at least 24hrs.

4321f-as doesn't have a problem with IR reflection, IF the cover is properly re-installed. And the camera is properly positioned. Any camera can have IR reflection issue's if not properly positioned. This is why the test install is good practice.
The problem with domes in general is that they will degrade over time from the sun as well as dirt and rainspots on the dome reflecting IR.
But they do make a great front door cam.
Best to position them so they don't get direct sun exposure.
Awesome.. thanks I think with my SE facing covered front porch, and NW/Ne exposure back/basement doors I'd be ok, but if rain and dirt spots become an issue with domes, then I'll need to change for sure. Eyeballs instead, HDW2231RP-ZS seem reasonable..

blazin912

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Think my setup is as follows:

5 - 2231R-ZS
  • 1 - Basement door
  • 1 - Driveway/Street
  • 1 - Driveway/Garages
  • 1 - Back Deck Door 1/Pool
  • 1 - Back Deck Door 2/Pool
1 - 4231F-AS
  • 1 - Front Porch/Door
Basement -
1 - US-16-150W
1 - USG
1 - Bonded MoCA Adapter
1 - Blue Iris install TBD
1 - Legacy 16 Port unmanaged switch

16 Port Switch to handle:
  • Separate VLAN
    • Basement Door
    • Front Porch/Door
    • Back Deck Door 1/ Pool
    • Back Deck Door 2/ Pool
  • PoE Access Point 1st Floor
  • PoE Access Point Basement
  • 4x Wired Jacks 1st Floor Media Closet
  • 4x Wired Jacks Basement Media Closet
  • USG
  • MoCA Adapter
2nd Floor -
1 - US-8-150W
1 - Bonded MoCA Adapter

8 Port Switch to handle:
  • Separate VLAN
    • Driveway/Street
    • Driveway/Garages
    • Future Expansion
    • Future Expansion
  • PoE Access Point 2nd Floor
  • MoCA Adapter
  • 2x Wired Jacks Office
I have vinyl siding, do you need j boxes or will typical siding mounting blocks with integrated boxes suffice? Need to pick those up along with at least 1000 feet of Solid copper CAT6

Anything I missed?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Think my setup is as follows:

5 - 2231R-ZS
  • 1 - Basement door
  • 1 - Driveway/Street
  • 1 - Driveway/Garages
  • 1 - Back Deck Door 1/Pool
  • 1 - Back Deck Door 2/Pool
1 - 4231F-AS
  • 1 - Front Porch/Door
Basement -
1 - US-16-150W
1 - USG
1 - Bonded MoCA Adapter
1 - Blue Iris install TBD
1 - Legacy 16 Port unmanaged switch

16 Port Switch to handle:
  • Separate VLAN
    • Basement Door
    • Front Porch/Door
    • Back Deck Door 1/ Pool
    • Back Deck Door 2/ Pool
  • PoE Access Point 1st Floor
  • PoE Access Point Basement
  • 4x Wired Jacks 1st Floor Media Closet
  • 4x Wired Jacks Basement Media Closet
  • USG
  • MoCA Adapter
2nd Floor -
1 - US-8-150W
1 - Bonded MoCA Adapter

8 Port Switch to handle:
  • Separate VLAN
    • Driveway/Street
    • Driveway/Garages
    • Future Expansion
    • Future Expansion
  • PoE Access Point 2nd Floor
  • MoCA Adapter
  • 2x Wired Jacks Office
I have vinyl siding, do you need j boxes or will typical siding mounting blocks with integrated boxes suffice? Need to pick those up along with at least 1000 feet of Solid copper CAT6

Anything I missed?
Looks good, the siding mounting blocks with boxes should work.
Most importaintly, waterproof the connection with a dab of Dielectric Grease on the male plug, then wrap the entire connection with coax seal.