Newest firmware not compatible with ipc-hfw8232ep-ze

Hawk1891

n3wb
Reaction score
I just recently bought an ipc-hfw8232ep-ze from Andy off of Amazon.
I have tried flashing it over to the newest firware version and it just wont work. I've tried several times. With internet explorer and smartpss. I'm thinking this particular model with the current firmware cannot be upgraded for some reason or I got a faulty unit.
If so it's not going to work and will need to send it back to Andy. I've even tried changing the date on the camera.
I live in the US, so Pal is not going to work for me. Anybody have any advice?

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On an IP camera PAL or NTSC does not mater. what you have will work, no problem. No need to update.

Turisto

n3wb
Reaction score
PAL will work fine, you will be stuck at 50 FPS max, rather than 60 FPS NTSC would give you.

You should be able to flash new firmware on the camera though, so best to investigate further into this issue.

Newer firmware's will have a setting to toggle between PAL and NTSC without a dedicated firmware for either..

Hopefully Andy can help you out...

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
test it not a problem. I believe youtube converts all video to a universal format.

Where did you buy the camera ?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Its all digital, PAL and NTSC really doesn't matter anymore.
I'd reset the cam to factory defaults then try to upgrade.
But in general, if its not broke don't fix it.

Turisto

n3wb
Reaction score
Just thought I would assist Hawk1891 in this thread to convey the back story of the update process...

The firmware Hawk1891 tried to update, (with my help remotely) was from this thread..

DH_IPC-HX8XXX-Nova_Eng_P/N_Stream3--IPC-HFW8232E-Z/ZE

It was the NTSC one..

The on screen GUI indicated that the update was successful.

The camera during the restarting process took a long time and the camera he reported as "whirring and making noises"... (This may be normal, I don't know).

Perhaps we should try the PAL version, BUT, I have PAL cameras myself IPC-HDBW5231R-Z and I can flash from PAL to NTSC no problem...

The camera has been connected directly to the computer at this stage, the IP of the computer has been changed to 192.168.1.100 as the router/gateway is at 10.0.0.XX

The camera seems to operate fine via web browser GUI, its just the firmware upgrade process is giving issues.

IMHO ...A different firmware update version must be used in order to ascertain whether the camera is functioning correctly...

So far we have tried only the latest firmware given in the link above, this has been re-downloaded to determine the possibility of a corrupt file... still no dice...

Hawk1891

n3wb
Reaction score
Well Andy gave me a firmware that changed the camera to ntsc 60fps. So we were able to fix the problem. Very happy with the fix. Thanks Andy and Turisto.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well Andy gave me a firmware that changed the camera to ntsc 60fps. BUT it did not change the current firmware. So basically I have a camera that cant be upgraded to the newest firmware. And no where in the Amazon description did it say I was buying a non upgradable camera. This means that it will never be upgradable to current firmware. It's not future proof. I'm disappointed to say the least. Although Andy did fix the ntsc 60fps it's still a non upgradable camera which was no where in the Amazon description.
Paid $350 dollars for it too. Oh well you live and you learn.
The camera is an international region camera that is fully upgradable....As you can see you were able to upgrade it to ntsc firmware...that would NOT be possbile to a china region hacked camera which this is not...perhaps there is an issue with the CURRENT latest firmware but to say its not upgradeable is false...andy does not work for dahua..he cannot control issues with a firmware release...relax.

Hawk1891

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried upgrading the camera to the latest 2018 firmware and it would not take it. The firmware that he just gave me that changed the camera to ntsc has the same firmware numbers as the firmware that came with the camera. So your misunderstanding what's going on. I already tried the newest firmware and the camera would not take it.

Hawk1891

n3wb
Reaction score
I mean dont get me wrong I'm happy that the pal got changed to ntsc 60fps but I'm still concerned with why the camera wont take the newest firmware for the hfw8232's. That newest firmware should work on my camera since it's a hfw8232 but it does not. That's the problem.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried upgrading the camera to the latest 2018 firmware and it would not take it. The firmware that he just gave me that changed the camera to ntsc has the same firmware numbers as the firmware that came with the camera. So your misunderstanding what's going on. I already tried the newest firmware and the camera would not take it.
I completely understand what is going on...there may be an issue with the latest firmware and your specific camera...that is all...sometimes andy has newer firmware than what is even available on the dahua website...simply because it woudnt take the newest firmware DOES NOT MEAN its not upgradable..that model is INTERNATIONAL...so it is in fact upgradable.

Andyh747

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same problem here. Attempting to upgrade this camera with latest firmware sent from Andy and the camera won't take it. The firmware appears to upload to the camera and go through the upgrade and reboot cycle but the web interface shows the old version.

Hawk1891

n3wb
Reaction score
I cant get the HFW8232EP to upgrade firmware much less show up in a browser. Factory reset it but no go.
The last I heard was that there was a firmware bug with this particular model that wouldn't allow the new update. Things may have been ironed out by now but I'm not sure on that. It's been awhile since I've been on. Hopefully someone here can shed light on this.