No motion detection recorded only 24/7

jayv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just had new Dahua cameras put in with Dahua NVR. Had it for one week working normal and getting alert notification from MD. Suddenly stopped working today, only captures 24/7 recording no settings changed. The only thing I did was format disc to male more space on harddrive. Other than that everything same. Any ideas how I can bring it back?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You dont need to format the HDs once the NVR is initially setup and running. They continuously record and overwrite once they fill up.

Would need to see your recording schedule on the NVR and know more about model NVR and cameras.

How are you receiving alerts? by what device?

jayv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
The model of the NVR is DHI-NVR2104HS-P-12 and the cameras are an 8mp wizsense ip camera. The schedule is setup correctly as I've not changed that but ive added some pics to show you. It's set to general, motion and intelligent everyday 00:00 - 23.59.

In using an s22 android phone and the app DMSS

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

jayv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. So I got in touch with the company that installed it they spoke to Dahua and said that configuration is not configured for smart plan IVS and somehow they remoted on and fixed the problem and for 20 mins it was running properly then I changed my motion detection region and it stopped again! Apparently mine are not on a smart plan and only SDM. Not sure if you know anything about that?

I only have 4 x8mp cameras

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The reason its hard is that we dont know all of your settings, if you are making setting changes on the NVR or directly on each of the cameras or both, etc..

How did they remote into your NVR?

SMD is pretty straighforward, lets focus on MD/SMD for now. IVS is a whole other class

Go to your NVR and login to it via a web browser and show us some screenshots. Dont crop them, we need to see the whole page

1- The camera registration page
NVR-Cameras.jpg

2- The Storage/Schedule page
storage2.jpg
and the Record Mode page
MD-NVR2.jpg

3- Under Alarm/Video Detection your MD settings for an example channel
MD-NVR.jpg
and your Region settings
MD-NVR3.jpg

Once we very that stuff we can move on to logging into the individual cameras which is where ALL other settings should be made.

jayv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The reason its hard is that we dont know all of your settings, if you are making setting changes on the NVR or directly on each of the cameras or both, etc..

How did they remote into your NVR?

SMD is pretty straighforward, lets focus on MD/SMD for now. IVS is a whole other class

Go to your NVR and login to it via a web browser and show us some screenshots. Dont crop them, we need to see the whole page

View attachment 187384

View attachment 187383
and the Record Mode page
View attachment 187386

View attachment 187385
and your Region settings
View attachment 187387

Once we very that stuff we can move on to logging into the individual cameras which is where ALL other settings should be made.
Makes sense! I have attached the screen shots below which look literally just like yours. Dahua remoted on using my serial number and login detail using a special app they have. I only want the SMD features to work for motion on human and vehicle not fussed about the other things. Dahua mentioned my configuration on the cameras were different so had to use different settings or something and not to use smart plan as it is not setup for that. Thank you for helping by the way!

camera list.jpg

storage.jpg
and the Record Mode page
record mode.jpg

schedule.jpg

MD region.jpg

I also found that the cameras had stopped recording motion after I had changed the MD region setting on the DMSS app. Before that it was working fine?

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok so first blush the NVR settings look fine, so lets make sure the NVR is actually recording the motion.

If it is, the problem is most likely with something in your notification settings via your app (Normally I would next go to the camera to see settings, but assuming you havent touched the actual camera UI, the App is the most likely problem point)

Go to the NVR - Search
uncheck all but one camera on the right and using the slider at bottom right zoom on the timeline to see if there are any yellow hashmarks denoting motion. (make sure you KNOW there was motion, you may even need to go outside and walk in front of the camera to create a motion event)
NVR-Search-Motion.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Based on your description we can be pretty sure that something you changed on the App is what broke things.

For future reference some rules to live by:

#1- DONT make setting changes on the APP. Its best used as a viewer and playback device as well as to receive remote alerts. Its not great for making setting changes because the terminology used and obscure relationships to various controls means you can innocently make what looks to be a simple change and break something else that doesnt immediately appear to be related.

NVR based camera systems arent meant to be fully managed by a phone app with a small limited screen for controls. They cant replace the functionality of a full featured web/PC based interface.

#2- ANY and ALL changes to settings should be made on the individual camera UI if its available. Recording schedules should be made on the NVR.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep except his NVR is showing them.... lets see if its recording them and if so its an App/notification issue. I've just chased my tail so many times to find the user "forgot to mention" some little detail in Step#1 after we're on Step#42 that I try and start from the beginning now ;)

Thats when we get to this:
I also found that the cameras had stopped recording motion after I had changed the MD region setting on the DMSS app. Before that it was working fine?

Question being "What did you change exactly"

jayv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok so first blush the NVR settings look fine, so lets make sure the NVR is actually recording the motion.

If it is, the problem is most likely with something in your notification settings via your app (Normally I would next go to the camera to see settings, but assuming you havent touched the actual camera UI, the App is the most likely problem point)

Go to the NVR - Search
uncheck all but one camera on the right and using the slider at bottom right zoom on the timeline to see if there are any yellow hashmarks denoting motion. (make sure you KNOW there was motion, you may even need to go outside and walk in front of the camera to create a motion event)
View attachment 187448
ok leave this with me I shall have a go when I get home from work and give this a try to see if this works and come back to you!

jayv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Based on your description we can be pretty sure that something you changed on the App is what broke things.

For future reference some rules to live by:

#1- DONT make setting changes on the APP. Its best used as a viewer and playback device as well as to receive remote alerts. Its not great for making setting changes because the terminology used and obscure relationships to various controls means you can innocently make what looks to be a simple change and break something else that doesnt immediately appear to be related.

NVR based camera systems arent meant to be fully managed by a phone app with a small limited screen for controls. They cant replace the functionality of a full featured web/PC based interface.

#2- ANY and ALL changes to settings should be made on the individual camera UI if its available. Recording schedules should be made on the NVR.
Now this is very handy to know!! AS currently I've been doing everything on this stupid annoying app!! Probably why it's messing up all the time!! So can I clarify, use the app for viewing and playback and make changes via the web service or on the actual NVR itself ?

jayv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yep except his NVR is showing them.... lets see if its recording them and if so its an App/notification issue. I've just chased my tail so many times to find the user "forgot to mention" some little detail in Step#1 after we're on Step#42 that I try and start from the beginning now ;)

Thats when we get to this:

Question being "What did you change exactly"
Exactly what Paul above had mentioned!! I changed the region grid where you select where you want motion 'red boxes' clicked save on the app went to test it and nothing happened, no motion back to 24/7 recording!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You want to record both motion and full time recording ideally.

The NVR is showing your motion grid, so if it’s not showing motion marks on the timeline, either the grid isn’t right for where you want to detect, the sensitivity is too low, (I run 90) or the notification settings in your app are messed up

Last edited:

jayv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You wa t to record both motion and full time recording ideally.

The NVR is showing your motion grid, so if it’s not showing motion marks on the timeline, either the grid isn’t right for where you want to detect, the sensitivity is too low, (I run 90) or the notification settings in your app are messed up
So, currently my settings are scheduled to pick up motion (yellow) and continuous record (General - Green) and it only shows general recording on the NVR and not picking up motion (yellow). I believe it was the grid that messed it up because I haven't changed any other settings other than the grid on the app. It was pinging me all the motion last night until I changed the grid settings. The sensitivity is currently set to (60). I will try your suggestion remove all cameras but one and see if motion gets detected on it. Just to clarify there is no motion detected on the NVR recorder just 24/7 record.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Once you get that sorted we need to introduce you to AI/IVS. Much better far fewer false alerts. It targets only humans and/or vehicles, so shadows, leaves, squirrels and most cats* will be ignored.

* cats seem to have some supernatural aura that can occasionally set off IVS. My experience is they use it indiscriminately just to piss you off

jayv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So the guy who installed the cameras has sorted it for me. He said he'll let me know on Monday what he done so when I know I'll update you guys. Hopefully something quick. I don't want to go into the settings to check because I know that I'll screw it up again!

jayv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just a quick one. What sensitivity and threshold is good? One of my cameras is on the side and uts really dark so doesn't pick anything up