Not as sensitive as I hoped

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello been trying the demo and I am really struggling with people walking past on a night. The camera is ignoring it I am trying different triggers and algorithms but having some success then seem deflated when someone walks past and its just does not trigger!

Blue iris is a brilliant program and I am enjoying it a lot I just need to nail the night then I will buy.

So what is the most sensitive algorithm and settings I can use then work my way up from their.

My cameras are x2 DS-2CD2032F-I if that helps.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you running the same BI profile at night as during the day?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello been trying the demo and I am really struggling with people walking past on a night. The camera is ignoring it I am trying different triggers and algorithms but having some success then seem deflated when someone walks past and its just does not trigger!

Blue iris is a brilliant program and I am enjoying it a lot I just need to nail the night then I will buy.

So what is the most sensitive algorithm and settings I can use then work my way up from their.

My cameras are x2 DS-2CD2032F-I if that helps.
make sure the iframe interval in the camera matches the fps...set the algorithm to simple.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
On the trigger configuration page check High Definition.

From help: "By default, to save CPU and smooth-out noise, the image is reduced by considering it in
blocks. The High definition option actually increases the number of motion detection blocks
that are used by typically 4x."

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you running the same BI profile at night as during the day?
I do yes but I want to get night running smooth before I even think about day

make sure the iframe interval in the camera matches the fps...set the algorithm to simple.
This is a problem as my iframe is set to 150 for 15 FPS because if not for some reason my camera image pulses. This is not linked to camera bitrate as far as I am aware as I have maxed that out also and it stays the same.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Post a night video with people walking by. Post video of the pulsing. Pulseing some times is caused my multiple beating light sources.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I do yes but I want to get night running smooth before I even think about day

This is a problem as my iframe is set to 150 for 15 FPS because if not for some reason my camera image pulses. This is not linked to camera bitrate as far as I am aware as I have maxed that out also and it stays the same.
Setting it this way means that you will miss up to 10 seconds of recording For each trigger

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Setting it this way means that you will miss up to 10 seconds of recording For each trigger
That would not matter though if it's constantly recording as long as it actually triggers in the first place?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
What camera is that, looks terrible in the night time vid.

Edit just seen your first post so now know the model.

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What camera is that, looks terrible in the night time vid.

Edit just seen your first post so now know the model.
Yes I think it's the fact it has very little light around the street so I have to set the at gain 100%

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The camera has a 1/3 CMOS sensor with a 0.07 lux rating.

Where did you buy this camera?
Can the firmware in the camera be upgraded ?
What version is the firmware ?
Is this a Chinese camera hacked to English ?

If you want a quality camera look at hikvision darkfighter or Dahua starlight.
the camera DS-2CD2032F-I is 4 years old and does not have good technology, today's standards.

Last edited:

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The camera has a 1/3 CMOS sensor with a 0.07 lux rating.

Where did you buy this camera?
Can the firmware in the camera be upgraded ?
What version is the firmware ?
Is this a Chinese camera hacked to English ?

If you want a quality camera look at hikvision darkfighter or Dahua starlight.
the camera DS-2CD2032F-I is 4 years old and does not have good technology, today's standards.

Yes I bought these ages ago off ebay around 3-4 year ago. I have upgraded as far as I can go with the hack as its Chinese v5.4.5.

Would I see big gains buying a couple of new ones? If so how much and advise which ones and where to get from? I am from UK btw

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello ANTH040, I've heard good things about the 2MP Varifocal
IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E turret or bullet cams which have some decent flexibility in uses.

I've got the IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE cams, which have decent low light performance and are eyeball or dome style cameras which are better hardened against physical damage.

Both I believe to use the same SONY Starvis sensor, but I can't say for sure.

And a UK supplier for you that may deal with you is CU CCTV, took me ages to find someone who would deal with us lowly folks and not just installers.

But definitely consider the 2MP Dahua cameras with the largest sensor size for low light performance. As bigger pixels capture photons more easily than smaller ones.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Look at the forum reviews on some cameras. You will see a big difference with quality cameras.
  • More megapixel is not necessarily better.
  • Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
N22AL12 New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks a lot I think I really need an upgrade in cameras I will take a look at these and treat myself!

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m in the UK and got my starlight cams from @EMPIRETECANDY here on the forums. Currently have the 2Mp starlight but and I keep saying this I will upgrade some of them to the 4Mp version at some stage.

Forum members are probably now sick of seeing this image but here’s an example from my cam, there is street lighting here so not complete darkness.

IMG_7237.jpg

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Hang on, you’ve had these 3-4 years and you’ve only realised that they are not as sensitive as you had hoped. That is some extreme long term testing.