NVR and Router Setup

Renzokuken

n3wb
Reaction score
Brand new to all this, so any detailed help would be super appreciative

Building a home that's approximate 5000 sqft, builder prewired for all tv locations and external cameras with Cat6/Coax wiring to the utility room (front of the house).

I wanted to setup modem (CM1000) and router (Asus RT AX) in living room since it's in the middle of the house and would have the most reach. However, I just bought Lorex POE camera system and it says that the NVR must connect to router directly. However, I assume that I don't have that option since CaT6 wiring for external cameras are in utility room, so this NVR has to be in utility room as well, so that also means my router and modem must be in utility room if I don't want to run any wires throughout my home (living room has high ceiling so it would be quite the process to run additional wires). Am I missing something?

Should I buy a different camera system, but I assume all POE powered cameras have the same issue?

Any and all advice would be much appreciated in order for me to have my NVR in utility room to connect to existing camera wiring but have my router in living room without installing new wires.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Brand new to all this, so any detailed help would be super appreciative

Building a home that's approximate 5000 sqft, builder prewired for all tv locations and external cameras with Cat6/Coax wiring to the utility room (front of the house).

I wanted to setup modem (CM1000) and router (Asus RT AX) in living room since it's in the middle of the house and would have the most reach. However, I just bought Lorex POE camera system and it says that the NVR must connect to router directly. However, I assume that I don't have that option since CaT6 wiring for external cameras are in utility room, so this NVR has to be in utility room as well, so that also means my router and modem must be in utility room if I don't want to run any wires throughout my home (living room has high ceiling so it would be quite the process to run additional wires). Am I missing something?

Should I buy a different camera system, but I assume all POE powered cameras have the same issue?

Any and all advice would be much appreciated in order for me to have my NVR in utility room to connect to existing camera wiring but have my router in living room without installing new wires.
Welcome @Renzokuken

Is the home build complete?
Are they done with the drywalling?
How high did they mount the camera placements?
Did they give you good smart home cat6 cabling options?

I would have cat6 drops to inside locations, and especially to the media center and any den / office and other locations which you will have non-mobile internet devices.
( please see the cliff notes on cabling and location ideas.. )

You should put your router in the data center - you can then connect it to a switch and connect everything else to that switch to reduce traffic on your router. Then you can add wifi access points to locations in the house.

Renzokuken

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome @Renzokuken

Is the home build complete?
Are they done with the drywalling?
How high did they mount the camera placements?
Did they give you good smart home cat6 cabling options?

I would have cat6 drops to inside locations, and especially to the media center and any den / office and other locations which you will have non-mobile internet devices.
( please see the cliff notes on cabling and location ideas.. )

You should put your router in the data center - you can then connect it to a switch and connect everything else to that switch to reduce traffic on your router. Then you can add wifi access points to locations in the house.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Unfortunately house is pretty much ready, closing is next week. Camera placements are about 8-10 ft at entry points and corner of home. I was unable to select the actual Cat6 cable, so not sure of any details related to it.

So because the cables are all dropped to utility room already, looks like my only choice is to have all my equipment there and setup mesh wifi. I guess I will buy the new Google nest WiFi unless you have another suggestion that is future proof with WiFi 6 options (I'm aware nest isn't).

Let me know if there is any other options I'm not aware of. Thanks!!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions!

Unfortunately house is pretty much ready, closing is next week. Camera placements are about 8-10 ft at entry points and corner of home. I was unable to select the actual Cat6 cable, so not sure of any details related to it.

So because the cables are all dropped to utility room already, looks like my only choice is to have all my equipment there and setup mesh wifi. I guess I will buy the new Google nest WiFi unless you have another suggestion that is future proof with WiFi 6 options (I'm aware nest isn't).

Let me know if there is any other options I'm not aware of. Thanks!!
Hi Renzokuken -

Good news they placed the cables in reasonable locations - another member reported that KB homes placed his about 20 feet high!

Feel free to share any pictures of the utility room section where the cables come down and the drops outside.

Remember to follow the notes on installing cameras outdoors to minimize water intrusion into the connection.
( hint - a little di-electric gel in the connection and coax seal / silicone stretch tape )

In your situation I would consider running ethernet drops to some inside walls if you have an accessible attic ( works well if you have a 1 story ).
Definitely dropping a few cat6 cables to the media center and den as well as a few spots on the ceilings for wifi access points.

For those on the fence and watching the thread:
Remember to also pre-wire ethernet drops within the house!
I prefer to overcable - N+1 ( one more than I expect to use ) to all locations.