NVR Dropping offline

ipcami

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a DS-7608NI-SE/P NVR and 3 HIKVISION IP cameras connected and operating generally quite well.

My problem is that every so often when I try to view the live view via the iVMS-4500 phone app I get the error message "device not registered on DDNS".

As soon as I reboot the NVR this error disappears.

I took the opportunity this evening to try and login to the NVR via a web browser but it was not accessible. It is like the unit is dropping off the network.

I am using TPLink Powerline adaptors to extend LAN sockets to areas of the house where the camera and NVR is required.

Any ideas of what is the problem here and how I might resolve?

Regards

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are connecting to a DDNS service, is your NVR hammering the service making it ban you temporarily for too many connections? I wouldn't have it connect mroe than once in a couple hours myself. I think 30 mins is usually the least to prevent being banned, not sure if that is your issue.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's more like to be your router playing up than the hik ddns service,
Make sure you reboot your router and see if there is a firmware upgrade available for it.

ipcami

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys

How can I limit the number of times I connect to the DDNS? Is this a setting in the NVR?

I will see if there are any firmware updates for the router.

Is there a way of getting the NVR to reboot if it detects a loss of network?

- - - Updated - - -

BTW I am using a BT Homehub 3

ipcami

n3wb
Reaction score
This is still a problem and has just happened again.

I am getting the same error message in IVMS "The device is not registered in the DDNS"

I cannot access the NVR via its ip address on the network yet it is not raising a "network disconnected" exception fault. If I unplug the network cable from the NVR then I get an audible alarm so it thinks it is connected yet it appears not to be registered on the network.

The 3 x cameras are ok and I can access them independently.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's sounding more like a router or ISP connection issue, I would recommend you try a different router.

Or at least check you isp uptime, if you have a dynamic ip check how often it's changing.

ipcami

n3wb
Reaction score
I have re-sited the NVR next to the router now and plugged it in directly, seems to be a little better now but will monitor. Has anybody else had experience with using the HIKVISION IP camera system with TP Link Powerline adaptors where Ethernet access is not available.....?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
The powerline adapters shouldn't care what's plugged into them. They either do their job properly or they don't. I've used a number of brands (mostly D-Links I think) with Hik and Axis cameras (plus laptops, etc) with very good results even through power outages. They don't work DURING the outage naturally, even if the rest of the system is plugged into a UPS, but they reconnect after and keep on chugging. Most of the time. I did have to reset a pair once after a power spike/brownout episode but that could've fried them or the rest of the stuff in the house so that's still great performance.

ipcami

n3wb
Reaction score
I have noticed I am now getting alarms pushed from the NVR to my phone where as I didn't before. The alarms are for video loss (on all three cameras) so think it likely that this is when the Powerline adaptor link goes down, when the link went down before this prevented the NVR from sending an alarm to me. I suspect that there are power spikes or noise on the mains power circuits that kick the Powerline adaptors off and is what is causing the issue. My frustration is that the powerline adaptor doesn't seem to reconnect automatically when the disturbance has subsided, I have had to cycle the power a couple of times today to get them to reconnect. I would rather do without them but pulling CAT 5 through to these locations is un practical.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Could easily be that you have noise spikes that the PLAs can't handle I suppose. Does it happen when, for instance, a fridge or freezer kicks in?

ipcami

n3wb
Reaction score
Washing machine on one occasion come to think of it (that could be a culprit!!)... not sure about the second.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
pay someone to run cable. Its worth the investment.

ipcami

n3wb
Reaction score
I will pull some through when I get the opportunity, will be useful for other things too I am sure!