NVR Keeps Crashing DS-7608NI-E2

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This morning ... 'Illegal Shutdown' with 3.4.0, at least, this time I'm sure that this happened just when I started the iVMS 4200 on my pc.
Let's go to 3.3.9 again

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Damn that must suck about the crashing.reminds me of when I used windows xp PC back in the day :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phillip Walker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I must admit since NTP has been turned off, the crashing seems to have reduced... Only twice so far in 20 hours, as opposed to the usual 7.

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I must admit since NTP has been turned off, the crashing seems to have reduced... Only twice so far in 20 hours, as opposed to the usual 7.
Which are anyway too much, for a NVR .. :)
And to be honest, each time I've upgraded, for one or two days things go smooth, after, the 'Illegal Shutdown' starts...
Now, mine 3.3.9 ... (I've here even a 7608NI-E2, but until I've discovered the 'unknown bugs, I still use the NI-I2)
Cheers,
jonatha

Phillip Walker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have turned DDNS off and the system lasted 24 hours and still no crash.

I thought id play some recordings back, and it froze and restarted... :(

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Three days running without crashes, of course ... 3.3.9

Phillip Walker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
been sent a diagnostic firmware from hikvision so I've upgraded to that, and enabled everything that had been shut down, due a crash within the next half hour or so, so can send them the dump file and hopefully we can make progress. Ill keep you updated

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Great, Really appreciated ! Thanks !
Cheers,
jonatha

Phillip Walker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So on this diagnostic firmware which is meant to be identical, its not crashing anymore (me thinks its not identical when they claim it is)

However after 36 hours when trying to play back I was getting 1 FPS jump playback.... A reboot sorted that.... Im now trying again.

The company tech support I bought it off claims I was over loading the unit, with my 5 1080p streams, 20fps, 4096 bit rate, 60 I frame, and high quality image, so remote in, set image quality to low and everything to 5000 bit rate and said that will fix it, no quality issues.... No, none at all, number plates were no longer legible!!!!

I doubt I am over loading the unit... so now I've cranked them up to 2 @ 8000 bit rate, and 3 at 6000 bit rate, and reduced the i-frames to 20.... So far 6 hours so good.

If it lasts 34 hours, I'm going to put it back to public release, and see what happens.... technically it should be OK.... but I bet it crashes again :)

Phillip Walker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Went back to public release, crashed within 2 hours. Now upgraded again to the diagnostic version, see if it crashes.

Phillip Walker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No crashed back on the diagnostic firmware... Somethings deffo been changed in it.

Phillip Walker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok about 3 days stable, then an abnormal shutdown.... Below is Hiks Response....

The debug version we use is English version, I think the previous version you use is an multi-language version from portal website right?
The multi-language firmware occupy more flash, so less memory left.
That’s may be the reason why it doesn’t reboot now with this English version debug firmware.
You can just use this firmware.
The English version is not released officially

I await the investigation into the dump files so see the cause. Will keep you updated.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The multi-language firmware occupy more flash, so less memory left.
This is just nonsense.
While it's fair to say that the firmware is loaded into RAM for execution, so if the firmware is bigger (say the ML files being added) it will consume more RAM.
But - the whole of the firmware has to be less than 16MB (SPI Flash size), the increase due to ML files is at most a few hundred KB.
The RAM is either 500MB or 1,000MB (not sure which for the 7608), so the effect of adding a few hundred KB is pretty well negligible.
In my view.

Phillip Walker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is just nonsense.
While it's fair to say that the firmware is loaded into RAM for execution, so if the firmware is bigger (say the ML files being added) it will consume more RAM.
But - the whole of the firmware has to be less than 16MB (SPI Flash size), the increase due to ML files is at most a few hundred KB.
The RAM is either 500MB or 1,000MB (not sure which for the 7608), so the effect of adding a few hundred KB is pretty well negligible.
In my view.
I have no doubt I am being fobbed off and that this is an internal test build with changes for stability, which aren't quite there yet for public release.

Its really frustrating as Hikvision don't want to accept the blame, blaming everything over the course from wrong disks, my network, UPNP, NTP, etc etc, when its clearly firmware related, and the retailer doesn't want to refund as they claim its my fault for overloading it, (its meant to be a 4k NVR, I'm only doing 1080p, and only on 5 of the 8 feeds, and that I should run everything at a low bitrate and on the lowest quality possible!) Its just not fit for purpose.

Does anyone have any ideas or contact details to maybe get this escalated within Hikvision. There has to be more than just the 2 of us on this forum that I know of with these issues, I don't see why Hikvision should get away with this shoddiness.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
To be fair - I've found over a couple of years with 2 7816N-E2 NVRs (same hardware as 7608NI-E2) that the firmware has been exceptionally reliable, on all the many versions I have used.
I don't recall a single instance of a reboot by itself.

We do expect computer hardware to be 100% reliable these days, either fully works or not al all.
Speaking hypothetically, if for some reason the RAM had a non-zero error rate in a particular region (some may remember when early DRAM used to exhibit occasional soft errors which were eventually found to be due to cosmic rays), the effect on the running system will depend completely on what data or instruction is corrupted. Change the firmware just a bit and that whole map shifts around.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Call your credit card company and initiate a chargeback.

Phillip Walker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hikvisions response to diagnostics.

Hi, Phillip
According to the log file. The reboot is caused by “out of memory”
Engineer can delete some function on firmware to avoid this, is this ok? If ok, I will ask engineer to make another firmware.
1. Only remain HIKVISION and ONVIF protocol for cameras connect.
2. Only remain English, delete other language.

Not impressed. Out of memory on 5x 1080p feeds.... rediculous.

Phillip Walker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I challenged why the unit does not have sufficient memory to operate as expected, and was told....

"If we want to have more memory, DS-7716NI-I4/16P is a good choice."

Thats a much more expensive 4 bay 16 channel unit, in order to record 5 channels!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I challenged why the unit does not have sufficient memory to operate as expected, and was told....

"If we want to have more memory, DS-7716NI-I4/16P is a good choice."

Thats a much more expensive 4 bay 16 channel unit, in order to record 5 channels!
Why are you putting up with this nonsense? return it..

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Crashed again, fw 3.3.6 .... moreover, recording quotas are not honored ....
Later I'll swap the NVR with the 7608NI-E2...
@Phillip Walker You have a PM :)
Cheers,
jonatha