NVR or Computer & Software

waring192

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all, got a few questions regarding my install. I currently have 2 Nest Outdoor Cam's with the Aware Sub. Im not bothered about the cost, its the fact it hogs all my data uploading the footage. So I am looking to sell the 2 Nest cams and buy 4 outdoor cams and 1 indoor cam.

What I'm looking to achieve is below:
  • Support for 5 cameras initially but with the option to expand to more.
  • 24/7 local recording: 3MP @ 25/30 FPS for all cameras.
  • Expandable hard drive space
  • Push notifications to iPhone is a must and not just emails (similar to nest, only stream when activity is detected)
  • Live viewing when activity is detected, only streamed (with hopefully the option to change quality of the upload resolution) to an iPhone
  • Features similar to Nest like person detection.
  • Ability to create zones for notifications etc
  • Ability to view via desktop web browser
Is there an NVR that does all that? Or does the camera do some things like person detection? If I was to go down the software route it would have to be compatible with a MAC as that's all we have in the house and have a spare 2013 retina MacBook Pro gathering dust at the moment!

Cheers.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all, got a few questions regarding my install. I currently have 2 Nest Outdoor Cam's with the Aware Sub. Im not bothered about the cost, its the fact it hogs all my data uploading the footage. So I am looking to sell the 2 Nest cams and buy 4 outdoor cams and 1 indoor cam.

• Push notifications to iPhone is a must and not just emails (similar to nest, only stream when activity is detected)
  • Live viewing when activity is detected, only streamed (with hopefully the option to change quality of the upload resolution) to an iPhone
Is there an NVR that does all that? Or does the camera do some things like person detection? If I was to go down the software route it would have to be compatible with a MAC as that's all we have in the house and have a spare 2013 retina MacBook Pro gathering dust at the moment!

Cheers.
Welcome @waring192

Do take a closer look at the notes in the wiki, and also look closer at the Blue Iris section here.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Cheers.
The NVRs that have that capability are expensive and unreliable see Hikvision DeepInMind Tested Terribly
If you must have people detection consider sighthound vms software.
You dont need 30fps unless you are making a movie. 15 is way more than sufficient.
see the dahua starlight turret cams they are exceptional in low light. hikvision also makes 2/3mp low light cams..there is no perceptable difference in image quality between the 2mp and 3mp cameras..

waring192

n3wb
Reaction score
Cheers everyone.

So I'm mainly Mac based (iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air (mrs) and both have iPhones) so it would require me to invest in a dedicated PC to use either Blue Iris or Sighthound?

What spec PC would I need for a 4/5 cam setup with 3mp IR capable POE cams?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheers everyone.

So I'm mainly Mac based (iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air (mrs) and both have iPhones) so it would require me to invest in a dedicated PC to use either Blue Iris or Sighthound?

What spec PC would I need for a 4/5 cam setup with 3mp IR capable POE cams?
See wiki