NVR Recommendations - 11+ cameras

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think looney has a BlueIris server running at 30W; My 48p managed floor switch is pulling about 20W and highly utilized; whats your cisco eating up?
Mine is chewing around 70W with around 11 cameras but as I'm getting something newer and more power efficient, I wouldn't put too much effort into it. A 30W windows machine capable of handling 11 cameras @ 1080P today would definitely be something I would be interested in reading about. Have you got a link to his thread? I'll try and search for it shortly.

dont expect any decent 4K cameras for a reasonable cost anytime soon
Thank you, that's the sort of advice I was looking for if they were ready for mainstream yet.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
go check out the blueiris forum and look for people's builds; iirc someone built a google doc w/specs and power consumption.. as long as you get the right hardware the power consumption is quite reasonable.. the integrated gpu does most of the work and the cpu sits largely idle.. I dont think @looney2ns has a camera count that high though.

if you want to be 4k ready you'll want the latest gen intel chipset, iirc it supports hardware accelerated h265 video that 4k video relies heavily on.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since you have an interest in Linux I might throw out there Bluecherry. I've ran it for about a year now and it's been rock solid. I too didn't have interest in running Windows, so this fit the bill quite nicely as the server is Linux based. It also has a cross-platform client, so whether you're on Mac, Linux, or Windows you can directly connect to the server with a native application instead of some sort of RDP/remote connection to the box. Kind of a nice setup. No dedicated mobile app, so that's one downside, though you can connect to it for live view pretty easily with Tiny Cam, IP Cam Viewer, etc.

I've never done a real-time sync with my current setup, though there's an endless array of Linux utilities you can look into. One called lsyncd comes to mind, which I understand is a real time "whatever exists in source, sync to destination" kind of daemon. Typical utilities beyond that are also available -- rsync, cron, etc.

My server runs an i3-3220T, which is kind of laughable in the horsepower department. Even considering that my average load is next to zero (right now load average: 0.04, 0.03, 0.00). Running 7 cameras at the moment, 640x480/3 FPS and the remaining six are 3mpx/10 FPS.

30 day demo, so it's easy to give it a test drive. Just a consideration. Good luck in your search.

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
my 3rd gen i7 with 2 hd's 1 ssd does 38-41 watts
Have you got a build log here or would you mind sharing your hardware configuration? I'm going to start specing something up and will post back here for feedback but would love a base to start with.

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you got a build log here or would you mind sharing your hardware configuration? I'm going to start specing something up and will post back here for feedback but would love a base to start with.
its nothing to crazy but dell optiplex 7010 i7 3770 8gb ram

if you need a new computer go with a newer one i7-6700

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
just convince them that they want hide the NVR far away from where all the wires lead even more..

I just sold my NVR4216-4K to an acquaintance and then Andy sold me a NVR5216-4KS2 for the same price.. I paid $1 in transaction fees to take my friends money and give it to Andy.. but I did toss in a cheap 12 port PoE midspan that I had been trying to give away unsuccessfully for a while to sweeten the deal.

Deali

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When my Dahua cams from china are here i will test them on my NVR5216-8P. The result of the test will make the decision.
At the moment i use an NVR4832.

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, so this is what I have decided to do. Build a BI box down the track with the latest generation PC gear when 4K cameras are a little more common rather than now and waste/under utilise the extra processing power on my 1080P cameras.

In the short term, I'll grab the NVR5216-16P-4KS2 which has PoE ports which also allows me to retire my Cisco PoE switch early as it will no longer be required. My question now is, how are people performing real-time data backups off their Dahua NVR to a secondary storage source over LAN? With my old Synology NVR216, I was simply doing a real-time sync in the background.