NVR Recommendations - 11+ cameras

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all. I currently have a mix of cameras:
  • 10 x Dahua IPC-HDBW4221E
  • 1 x Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-I
  • 1 x Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I
I have 2 x 4TB WD Purple HDDs and over time I will be upgrading the cameras to 4K so it would be good to have a NVR capable of recording 4K (h.265 support would be a bonus). I am looking for suggestions on suitable solutions.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would get a very nice HP desktop off eBay and run blueiris software. Cost you 400.00 at most but would be the best bang for buck

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also running a nvr with mixed cameras would be a pain

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Don't modern NVRs support ONVIF?

Will take a look at the HP but would prefer a dedicate set and forget type system with low power consumption if possible.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Don't modern NVRs support ONVIF?

Will take a look at the HP but would prefer a dedicate set and forget type system with low power consumption if possible.
What is so great about ONVIF ? Running BI will give many more opportunities @ around the same price point

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua 5216-4KS2 w/External PoE definitely since your mix-matching.. the Dahua will record and playback from your Hiks w/Dahua Apps but it wont configure them so if you put them on Internal PoE anytime you want to change a setting it'll be a pain in the butt

~$250 USD Shipped from @EMPIRETECANDY

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is so great about ONVIF ? Running BI will give many more opportunities @ around the same price point
Pardon my ignorance as I'm still fairly new to this. I thought ONVIF allowed me to still get basic functionality on a compatible NVR?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
What is your application going to be? I have been running dahua DVR's and NVR's with little or NO issues with the cameras themselves. As Nayr says you might have a little issue with the Hicks on configuration but once you get them set, they work fine with the Dahua NVR's. I usually do not have to come back and mess with them once they are set up in their proper location and are recording fine. My systems are set up at business and Government institutions and are pretty much set it and forget it. I feel if I had Bi servers set up all over the place it would be more maintenance for me. My end users are not equipped to deal with messing with another PC and software for their security needs. I will be building a BI server for home very soon so I will get a chance to fool with it very soon. I have demoed there software and it is in fact full of features that NVR's cannot do. I guess if you had your own business and wanted to do a Bi server and spend the time and learn it than it might be a good choice for you. I guess it all depends on how much time you want to put into it. I have enough problem walking the bosses secretary over the phone to point out where the power switch is on the NVR and can only imagine having to walk them the BI software issues. That is my opinion for right now and I might stand corrected in the future but I like to keep it as simple as possible.

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dahua 5216-4KS2 w/External PoE definitely since your mix-matching.. the Dahua will record and playback from your Hiks w/Dahua Apps but it wont configure them so if you put them on Internal PoE anytime you want to change a setting it'll be a pain in the butt
Thanks, I'll take a look.

What is your application going to be?
It's for home and I wanted a set and forget solution where firmware upgrades would be about the only thing I would need to worry about. Running a windows solution doesn't appeal to me as much as something running embedded linux like most NVRs. Less OS maintenance from what I can gather.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll take a look.

It's for home and I wanted a set and forget solution where firmware upgrades would be about the only thing I would need to worry about. Running a windows solution doesn't appeal to me as much as something running embedded linux like most NVRs. Less OS maintenance from what I can gather.
Windows os requires zero maintenance..

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Windows os requires zero maintenance..
Lets agree to disagree and not start a holy OS war. Lol

With the Dahua, how are people doing realtime syncs to another data source?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Lets agree to disagree and not start a holy OS war. Lol

With the Dahua, how are people doing realtime syncs to another data source?
It's not up for debate..It's fact... just like you don't have to update firmware on the NVR...If you misrepresent facts you will be corrected.. Just like the NVR your windows machine should only have access to the outside via VPN to your mobile device...No need for maintenance.
I run over 20 blue Iris servers..Don't need to touch them...

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I will say this for windows servers, they are like tops, once you get them spinning they stay running. I have no skin in the game running BI on them but if fenderman is doing it with zero issues than its a option for you. I guess its like ford or Chevy, pick your poison. I look forward to get mine up and running some time soon. I have all the hardware sitting on my bench for my new BI server but between my work and family it has taken to the back burner.

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have nothing against windows or any platform. In fact at home I run CentOS, Windows, OSX, FreeBSD and embedded Linux. I've just found my nix boxes to be far more reliable than my Windows ones.

But, seeing as you guys want to talk windows. What sort of hardware is required for 4K recording, keeping in mind I want low power consumption as it's on 24x7 and they charge like wounded bulls for electricity here in OZ. I assume Windows 10 is ok for BI?

If I do go down this path, I would probably look at a Asrock motherboard. Anyone had issues with Asrock of late? And does BI come with an iOS client to talk to the server?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have nothing against windows or any platform. In fact at home I run CentOS, Windows, OSX, FreeBSD and embedded Linux. I've just found my nix boxes to be far more reliable than my Windows ones.

But, seeing as you guys want to talk windows. What sort of hardware is required for 4K recording, keeping in mind I want low power consumption as it's on 24x7 and they charge like wounded bulls for electricity here in OZ. I assume Windows 10 is ok for BI?

If I do go down this path, I would probably look at a Asrock motherboard. Anyone had issues with Asrock of late? And does BI come with an iOS client to talk to the server?
First, you need to do some more research on 4k cameras...unless you are ready to spend serious money, they are complete garbage in low light and at night.
The is an excellent ios app for BI sold for 10 dollars.

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I run Cisco gear at home as opposed to cheaper consumer switches. Whilst price is a factor, power consumption is a higher priority for me hence my question regarding what sort of power friendly hardware can be used with BI to record 4K?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I run Cisco gear at home as opposed to cheaper consumer switches. Whilst price is a factor, power consumption is a higher priority for me hence my question regarding what sort of power friendly hardware can be used with BI to record 4K?
See my post above

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
lol, power consumption is a priority and your running Cisco Gear? oh common now.. thats like saying MPG's are important to you, thats why you drive a HumVee.

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
lol, power consumption is a priority and your running Cisco Gear? oh common now.. thats like saying MPG's are important to you, thats why you drive a HumVee.
Uses less power than a windows PC so irrelevant in the context of this topic and it will be the next item on the list to replace with something a little quieter and more power efficient. The main reason it's still in use is because it's currently my only PoE switch (48-port).

First, you need to do some more research on 4k cameras...unless you are ready to spend serious money, they are complete garbage in low light and at night.
The location I will want to use the 4K cameras will also have some sensor lights which should hopefully aid the quality of the image. It certainly does now with the Dahua cameras. In any case, the upgrade to 4K won't be immediate, I want to get something that will at least be future proof as much as I can make it.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think looney has a BlueIris server running at 30W; My 48p managed floor switch is pulling about 20W and highly utilized; whats your cisco eating up?

My NVR's running at 14W last time I checked but Ive added a load of cameras since then so it might be higher..

Affordable 4k cameras that dont suck in low light are a long ways away; its the optics simply get more expensive the larger the sensor; dont expect any decent 4K cameras for a reasonable cost anytime soon.. Image quality is more about the photons than the pixels; the more photons you gather the more detail you get.. when you increase pixel density without increasing sensor size the sensitivity to photons goes right off a cliff.. There are really good 4k cameras to be had; for $400 and up.. the'll remain in that range because optics are over $100 a pop at these sizes; not $10

Megapixels is in a large part marketing looking for chumps.

Last edited: