One of my camera's is disconnected...

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well as luck would have it, I changed the ends and the cam was working, but now I'm getting the message:

Network is unstable. Connecting again... Failed to play video.

Any thoughts as to why this might be occurring? Thanks

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I properly replace both RJ45's on the cable. I even bought a LAN tester and everything comes up green = pass. The thing is, the cam will work and then it stops working with the message: Network is unstable. Connecting again... Failed to play video.

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys, I haven't been able to get to this for a few days, but I have a question regarding the Hikvision: DS-2CD2345FWD-I camera. From what I can see, attached to the camera is a cord with ethernet and power. An ethernet cable is connected to it, but not the power. Do I need to connect the power part of it using a 12 V adapter?

The way the system was set up, I don't know what the previous owners did, but without having to destroy by ceiling to see what's inside, can I power this camera using ONLY the ethernet cable coming from the NVR since it has PoE?

Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind a LAN tester coming up green = pass doesn't mean it is capable of the sustained bandwidth of the these cameras. We have seen countless examples here where people tested the connection with a tester and it passed and were reluctant to try putting on new connectors and when they reluctantly did, the problem went away. You need the expensive testers designed for this to accurately determine if the cable and connections are good for these types of devices.

These cameras come with an ethernet port to allow POE connection and they come with as 12VDC power connector as well.

It can be powered completely by the POE.

If it is having trouble then and you can confirm it isn't the cable, then you need to use something like this to ensure there is no corrosion in the connection:

Or use the 12VDC to provide power to it. Sometimes the POE does go out and the ethernet port simply is only good for data and not power.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The way the system was set up, I don't know what the previous owners did, but without having to destroy by ceiling to see what's inside, can I power this camera using ONLY the ethernet cable coming from the NVR since it has PoE?
Use either the 12VDC connector OR a POE switch / POE NVR, not both.

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tony, we know the NVR had PoE built into it. But the NVR is connected to a switch that doesn't have PoE.

Should the switch have PoE?

I've tried everything. Purchased a LAN Explorer cable tester with remote. The cable is good. Everything I've tried tells me the device is offline or it says No video working. I don't understand where the problem lies. Very frustrating...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The NVR doesn't need to be connected to a POE switch.

Is the cable going straight from the camera to the NVR POE Port?

Again a cable tester doesn't tell you much other than it has continuity but it doesn't mean the camera will work. The cheap cable tester usually isn't testing all of the pairs or the cable functions just enough to test out continuity-wise, but not well enough to carry the POE properly to the camera.

That camera has infrared, so go out at night and see if you see the red glow from the IR.

Reread Post #30 Have you used the contact cleaner on the camera connection? Most of the time the corrosion cannot be seen yet causes problems.

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good thing is that I do have contact cleaner. I'll try that first.

I'll also check the infrared later when it gets dark.

If I decide to use the 12v adapter again, how do I turn off the PoE on the NVR?

Thanks wittaj.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some NVRs have the ability to turn the power off on a port - not sure if that one does.

BUT, in theory the camera and the NVR should auto-negotiate and determine if it needs power. The bigger issue would be if the POE port provides the power first, then the 12VDC won't be used.

As a test I would put the 12VDC to the camera and connect the camera straight to a laptop and see if you can pull up the camera GUI. You will need to pull the IP address of the camera from the NVR as it is probably 10.0.0.xxx something or another. If you can pull it up without issue or disconnect, then you know either the POE in the NVR or the camera connection is going bad.

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, wattaj. So I had a 100 foot ethernet cable in storage which I completely forgot about, disconnected the other cable, connected the new one and the camera works. Shit, now I figure out how to run that cable through-out the house.

Without destroying the ceiling, if I can't use a cable, is there a way to connect an adapter on the camera end, and another adapter on the NVR so they can talk to each other?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sweet!

In that case either the connections are bad on the existing cable or there is a cut or twisting in the existing. I would try a re-connection again.

They have powerline adapters that you can use to send data over the electric wires.

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If reconnecting doesn't work, how does one use the power line adapters and am I better off getting a wireless Hikvision cam if I can't use the cable? Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@TonyR will be along in a moment with his top choices of powerline adapters. I use them but the ones I have are old and no longer sold.

Wireless is like the most very last resort. These cameras do not buffer like Netflix so it will be problematic in getting a constant feed and it will cause trouble with your internet wifi.