Onvif Compatible Doorbell Cam

Discussion in 'IP Cameras' started by sealfab, Nov 1, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Ion Barker

Ion Barker Young grasshopper

I actually have a Doorbird that I have been playing with. Setup with blue iris was quick and no problems as long as your use the Axis info. I used POE and tried the wifi option and both worked.

This thing is large, probably the largest of the video doorbells out right now.

I am not a huge fan of all the small pigtails that you must connect on the backside of the board. The POE pigtail looks out of place and not very sturdy, I make sure it is secured at all times while testing.

Doorbird does not have a wireless chime option yet if you still want the buzzer/chime/ring ect inside your house when the button is pushed. (They claim a Q1 2017 release for the chime option)
    There is a wired chime version available via a pigtail on back.

All of my testing has been done at my desk since I have been busy with work and haven't had much time to tinker beyond that.

Will post more updates once I get around to further research on it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    nayr and fenderman like this.
  2. Dal1as

Dal1as n3wb

It does work with a wired chime but not many people will probably go that route. That's how I have mine setup.

3. Ion Barker

Ion Barker Young grasshopper

You are correct, there is the chime pigtail on the back... forgot to mention that.

4. randytsuch

randytsuch Pulling my weight

5. patrocle

patrocle Getting the hang of it

I will stay away when it comes to video door bells from china , purchased one all most the same as that and had huge problems with the ir cut/night vision! Also 720p are junk.
    I went with Ring for now , got with from from bestbuy with huge discount as i have someone in the family that works there, and all good for now. Maybe later if other brand will come out that will support Poe/Ip port/stream to add in BI i may buy it, but yes for DoorBird was kind of little to much for me too.

6. randytsuch

7. nayr

nayr Known around here

or i dunno; you could get off your ass and talk to another human being every once and a while heh.. two way door bells and home intercoms have been proven useless over and over for the last few decades; just because its now on an App dont change much.

I love automation/security but you can get so much better quality with a fixed camera that has audio; and a NVR that has push notifications.

The_Penguin and hmjgriffon like this.
  8. patrocle

patrocle Getting the hang of it

Found this site
    LowPowerLab | Exploring and building low power IoT systems
    witch has lot of modules for home automation that uses Moteino, and it has on module for mail box to notifications whenever
    the mail man brings the mail

Really cool. Also other use web cams,also face detection,and other.
    This maybe for some home automation start... problem is i may get lost while putting things together also the software coding.

9. TaxExempt

TaxExempt n3wb

Hello there, first post.

I bought a Doorbird for my Q-See system and have given up trying to make it work. Q-See doesn't seem to be comptible with all ONVIF. Has anybody sucessfully gotten Doorbird to work with Q-See?

I am also considering changing my Q-See NVR for a Hikvision. Is anybody aware if Doorbird works with Hikvision NVRs?

10. RyanODan

RyanODan IPCT Vendor

@TaxExempt The Doorbird is ONVIF, Hikvision NVRs are ONVIF so in theory the NVR should record the Doorbird's video without issues. However, with ONVIF protocol it's hard to say what will work and what won't without testing it (motion detection, alarm alerts, etc)

11. bmwproboi05

bmwproboi05 Young grasshopper

The problem with q see and door bird is that the q see only supports h.264. Doorbird is only mjepg when using standard ip and port. The rtsp has h.264, but the rtsp over http port doesn't solve this issue. Doorbird has told me their are updates to the onvif. Support coming soon, currently rolling out.

I don't blame you for giving up as I kind of did the same and using blue iris for recording temporarily

12. TaxExempt

TaxExempt n3wb

This Christmas we upgraded to a Hikvision system. Had already returned the doorbird by that time. I remember that the doorbird could only handle streaming to one phone at a time. Would this cause the MPEG feed to the NVR to be dropped if you were viewing the feed on your phone at the same time?

13. bmwproboi05

Still cannot get the doorbird to work with my Qsee, but I have been in contact with them trying to get it to work.

I believe you are limited to 2 streams, but only one can talk if I recall corectly. I just checked with my phone on the app, and blue iris running on my computer, and their was no pause of any sort. Still cannot get audio to work on Blue iris, I spy, or even with VLC...

Side note I got notification to get pushed to Domoticz, and camera to work. yay.....

14. bmwproboi05

Got a reply back from Doorbird. They are going to request / purchase a unit and use the QTview pc program and see if they can figure out why it will not work. Figures crossed! I will let you guys know of any updates.

15. nuckinfutz

nuckinfutz n3wb

fenderman likes this.
  16. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

17. bmwproboi05

Hope it works better than the Doorbird as far as NVR. If this ends up having a wired option I will be all over this, especially if it does record first and no cloud/ cloud bypass.
    Doorbird just released full compatibility with Hikvision. Nothing about Dahua/ Qsee, currently getting a cold shoulder from them now.

RyanODan and fenderman like this.
  18. bmwproboi05

So Doorbird will not work with my Q see. However, I just bought a Dahua NVR4108-p-4ks2 and was able to connect using ONVIF port 80 and login info

19. randytsuch

It looks like the Clare stuff is a pain to buy.
    Too bad.

ds76 likes this.
  20. truglo

truglo Young grasshopper

1st post party... drinks on me!!!

Cool, I noticed you're kinda close by... I'm in Sac. :)
    Moteino? ...I swear there's a new flavor of 'duino released every single day. You're right that coding embedded systems things has a steep learning curve (even Arduino is challenging for a total rookie), unless you are already familiar with C... and don't take for granted the jedi knight soldering skills required to fab some of those circuits. Myself, the one programming class I took in college left a lasting impression, and so I have enjoyed embedded systems as a hobby for years (acquired the soldering skills as a youth playing with RC stuff). Right now I've got five ESP8266 modules doing various tasks around my home (toolshed PIR w/ phone notification, temp/humid/light/baro monitoring, etc...). The shed PIR is super cool; rechargeable battery lasts 2 years, notifies my phone instantly, only 2 falses in a year of operation, what more could you ask for a project that cost $20 to build? Between MQTT and Blynk, you can do just about anything with a $6 ESP module. I am looking forward to hacking in some embedded stuff into my home security system I'm starting to plan. :)

Back on topic... my wife's been hounding me about getting one of those Ring doorbells (all the 'cool moms' have 'em, lol). I can't get over just how cheezy it is: cloud based 'plug and play' bliss, no ONVIF, plastic... screeming break in we have lots of trendy stuff you could sell quickly. This forum has been great for researching alternatives; I'm thinking I'll get the Dahua mini dome or a turret... just a little worried about vandalism since it would be mounted <7ft high.

Unfortunately, this forum went beyond showing me Ring alternatives... now I'm leaning toward setting up an IPC security system for my home. I've been putting off getting a security system for my home, but now I'm going to use this 'gotta get Ring' bandwagon to convince my wife we should use the $$ to invest in a pro quality IP cam system. I'm in the process of researching cams/locations, and plan on using a PC for management (managed poe switch, BI or smartPSS... hopefully the free stuff is good enough). I work in construction so I'll be able to save a lot on wiring/install (a ton of cat6 in smurf tube.. all home runs... easy to add more if need be). My biggest challenge will be camera placement, since I've got a 1-story with an all hip roof. I'll likely be posting questions about which cam where etc... Wish me luck!

Kev

21. randytsuch

So little off topic, but I have a couple of the Wemos ESP modules in service now, one in the garage to sense and open/close the door, and one in the backyard to control the spa. I use ESP Easy in the modules, so really no programming skills required with that. I also have Domoticz running on a pi. I can write domoticz Lua scripts to customize what the ESP modules do.
    My home security system is all separate from this. It's hard wired and old, but rock solid. One of these days I will add an Ethernet interface module to it to have remote access, but otherwise I want to keep them separate, don't want my HA stuff to mess up the alarm lol.

Randy