Ordered Sony SNC-VB770 Image Sensor Size 35MM :)

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
My license plate cameras also miss maybe 20% because of say dirty plates. I usually get 2 chances at a plate the way mine are set up. That being the front and the back. Also if I go frame by frame I can pick up more plates.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
That is stunning. Your shutter speed is really fast. In my case, I'm at the bottom of a cul-de-sac, so I wouldn't need shutter to be as fast so I could close aperture some increasing DOF.

I have two Hikvisions that track but they miss about 20% each which leaves about 5% of the time that neither camera got the plate. I want a 4k low light camera that can get LPs at night covering the entire cul-de-sac.

In this video, the mailbox is about 60 feet away and the top of the cul-de-sac is about 400 feet away.

The Hikvisions are 1/2" sensors with 35x optical zoom and object tracking.

Yeah With Cul-de-sac its nice the car has to slow down.. And your AutoTrack seems still pretty impressive the way its dialed in...

I know Andy said later this year we may get some announcement coming out of Dahua to bring back the 4/3 Sensor.. Maybe that will be something to keep an eye out for.. Hopefully price is not too high but I am thinking of picking some more 4/3.

I have one 4/3 PTZ at night it does also capture in Color with AutoTracking capability. But sometimes at night people are just flying thru my street... :(

I also wanna say Thanks to IPCT community to help me understand all this and Everyone is so friendly here and will bend backwards to help.. Thank you everyone!

Last edited:

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I know we're not comparing apples and apples, but one thing the Hikvision does incredibly well is it can spot adjust the exposure of things like headlights so no matter how bright and direct the headlights are, front license plates are always visible.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I know we're not comparing apples and apples, but one thing the Hikvision does incredibly well is it can spot adjust the exposure of things like headlights so no matter how bright and direct the headlights are, front license plates are always visible.
Nice, I don't have any Hikvision PTZ but nice to know that they handle the headlights better.. I might will have to try a Hikvision PTZ than in near future. Thank you !

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just ordered the 770 with the 24-70 mm lens for $2K on ebay. Claims to be a new open box unit. Should be here next week.

Do these units have any sort of usage hourly odometer so you can tell if it's really been used or not?

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Just ordered the 770 with the 24-70 mm lens for $2K on ebay. Claims to be a new open box unit. Should be here next week.

Do these units have any sort of usage hourly odometer so you can tell if it's really been used or not?
That is an pretty amazing deal. So far I know, I think the counter can easily be reset.. So nothing that I know off to tell exact number of hours... Also last I heard Sony does not handle warranty claims its Bosch if you need any assistance..

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That is an pretty amazing deal. So far I know, I think the counter can easily be reset.. So nothing that I know off to tell exact number of hours... Also last I heard Sony does not handle warranty claims its Bosch if you need any assistance..
I figured. I also figure that if it's going to fail it'll likely be in the first 70 hours. I bought my two spotters, SNC-VB635's, open box as well 7 years ago and they've been flawless. Same user interface as the 770 plus some additional features. Funny thing is I bought that's 635s for $300 each and they now sell for $1300 everywhere:

You might think this is inflation but I've seen this over and over again with various models of cameras when they are discontinued, their price starts to rise. I've sold a ton of out of date cameras for more than I bought them for to buyers who were just trying to add more of the same thing or replace a dead unit and were willing to spend whatever just to not have to change a configuration. They were always businesses that bought them, never DIY homeowners.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I figured. I also figure that if it's going to fail it'll likely be in the first 70 hours. I bought my two spotters, SNC-VB635's, open box as well 7 years ago and they've been flawless. Same user interface as the 770 plus some additional features. Funny thing is I bought that's 635s for $300 each and they now sell for $1300 everywhere:

You might think this is inflation but I've seen this over and over again with various models of cameras when they are discontinued, their price starts to rise. I've sold a ton of out of date cameras for more than I bought them for to buyers who were just trying to add more of the same thing or replace a dead unit and were willing to spend whatever just to not have to change a configuration. They were always businesses that bought them, never DIY homeowners.
Nice, On the reset So yeah Like I thought it is pretty easy to reset, I am not gonna reset mine to see but I am sure this is what this reset button does under information..

1662172970702.png

ptzman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So That is also strange more likely either user error on my part or Camera firmware may have to be updated or setting I am overlooking.

I only see one setting for codec h264. Also I have not found a place yet to control shutter speed either. Not that I think I am gonna need it since it seem to be doing hell of a job even in auto but still wanna know if its possible may give Sony a call tomorrow.

Also this camera is supported by Bosch Sony transfer to them which was interesting :D Will talk to them tomorrow again if they are open.

In the mean while here is another video I shot with iPhone tonight for comparison.

By the way does anyone know what enclosure box brand this is

View attachment 60362

Since sony one is super expensive I Wanna see if other can fit this camera and cheaper.. or not
This is the housing, ,Iu
So That is also strange more likely either user error on my part or Camera firmware may have to be updated or setting I am overlooking.

I only see one setting for codec h264. Also I have not found a place yet to control shutter speed either. Not that I think I am gonna need it since it seem to be doing hell of a job even in auto but still wanna know if its possible may give Sony a call tomorrow.

Also this camera is supported by Bosch Sony transfer to them which was interesting :D Will talk to them tomorrow again if they are open.

In the mean while here is another video I shot with iPhone tonight for comparison.

By the way does anyone know what enclosure box brand this is

View attachment 60362

Since sony one is super expensive I Wanna see if other can fit this camera and cheaper.. or not
This is the Sony housing that I used on my Sony SNC VB635 cameras, Sony SNY1SNCUNIHB1 Outdoor Housing for Fixed Box Style Cameras. The VB635 was before the VB770. They are for sale on Ebay.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nice, On the reset So yeah Like I thought it is pretty easy to reset, I am not gonna reset mine to see but I am sure this is what this reset button does under information..

View attachment 138839
That's cool. I doubt the seller knows to reset it unless a factory reset does it. Hopefully a factory reset leaves it alone.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The VB635 was before the VB770. They are for sale on Ebay.
There's ONE open box 635 for sale on ebay for $975. Being before the 770 doesn't really mean anything in context as it's not comparable to the 770. The 635 was a $600 camera that eventually became deeply discounted (hence the reason I got mine for $300) and now costs way more than the original MSRP.

The 770 with the 24-70 lens is an $8K camera that for some reason has not seen any discounting even though it's been discontinued for quite a while. With the lens, they still list for $8K or $6.5K without the lens. But given that I picked one up for $2K with the lens, the market just isn't there and supply houses that have remaining stock are just not budging on their prices. If there was a real market, there would have been other bidders. This particular camera was offered on ebay for about 6 months by this seller for $4K and of course it didn't sell. So it's clear that none of the suppliers are selling these at all. At some point they're going to have to start liquidating and prices will come down, but then the camera will be 10 years old by that time.

I was the only bidder. Had I not bid the $1940 starting price, it would have not sold this time around. I still think it was a good deal...provided it's legit.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have the CMVision lighting the whole backyard. Let us know how the Tendelux compares to it. I'm thinking about adding one mounted at right angles about half way back in the yard to fill in some shadow areas on the opposite side.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I have the CMVision lighting the whole backyard. Let us know how the Tendelux compares to it. I'm thinking about adding one mounted at right angles about half way back in the yard to fill in some shadow areas on the opposite side.
I feel like CMVision was a bit brighter, However Tendelux for me is still fine, Plus it looks way better. I am also thinking of adding this in frontLaw shining at License plate at night maybe, Have to do test but It be cool if that works out. Also it will look like a small solar panel in daytime making people think it is some sort of rain sensor or pathway light lol.

My CMVision failed in a year somehow the water made it inside... So just did not want to go with same brand. Will see how Tendelux holds up after a year or two..

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had the CM up and running for a few years now. It's soffit mounted so it really doesn't get direct rain/snow unless there's a strong wind out of the south. The yard is deeper than it is wide so maybe the Tendelux will do what I want it to. How's the pattern, wide or is there a center bright spot/area?

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the IR illuminators won't work fore the 770 since it's IR cut filter doesn't retract, right?

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had the CM up and running for a few years now. It's soffit mounted so it really doesn't get direct rain/snow unless there's a strong wind out of the south. The yard is deeper than it is wide so maybe the Tendelux will do what I want it to. How's the pattern, wide or is there a center bright spot/area?
It has a Bright right in front I would say but Spreads out pretty decent across ... Also The CMVision which had water intrusion for me could be also my install location. That side see a lot of sun... So I am sure that also effected the light to fail like it did.. That side of the house usually also effects my Motion Sensor lights where I almost get those motion sensor light fail every couple of years if not sooner.. Its just the sun on that side gets really bright after noon.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the IR illuminators won't work fore the 770 since it's IR cut filter doesn't retract, right?
770 No, I am not using any IR Illumination for that, since its running in color. Also given how expensive the camera was for me I only run this guy at night time. So I can maximize its life...

Since I have like 32 other cams around my property capturing just perfectly fine at daytime. This is solely for night time for me to capture great color details..