Overwhelmed with camera options

Reaction score
Hey All,

Never thought i would need a security system, but had our first incident last night with someone trying to break into my wife and I's car. I only found out because our neighbor saw it happen and let us know. So here I'am looking for camera options and not sure what to get. I currently bought a Unifi Protect G4 PRO Camera. Im currently testing this out to see if this meets my need, but for $450 a camera seems ridiculous for the price. I only went with them as my home network revolves around their products. I have a few questions regarding the security camera setup. I only require 2 cameras at this time, one for viewing the cars and the other for the sliding glass door in the basement. I prefer something with excellent night vision.

I saw these cameras highly rated here. Which one should I buy?
IPC-T5442TM-AS and IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (where is a trusted source to buy these?)

Is there a 3rd party app for android phones to view cameras remotely?

I know Andy from Empire Technology is the go to guy, but the camera I researched US $158.31 6% OFF|2019 New Arriving IP Camera IPC T5442TM AS 4MP Starlight+ WDR IR Eyeball AI Network Camera , free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on AliExpress is out of stock. I just wanted to say thanks for any helpful information as I'm a total noob when it comes to security cameras.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

A camera system is a surveillance system, not a security system. A surveillance system can provide alerts but that is a side issue. The objective being to see who did what. That involves more than just which camera to buy.

Read the WiKi, in the blue bar, at the top of the page. Study the Cliff Notes, in there, very carefully and take your own notes. Plan, research, ask questions, revise plans, test and make sure before spending time, money ad frustration on what you think will work.

Andy is, definitely, the goto guy for Dahua cameras and gear. Chinese New Year is just wrapping up, today, so you're in luck in that regard. The 5442 is an excellent, low light capable, 4MP camera without a doubt, but you may be well served with a 2MP camera as well. You could use a 2MP varifocal for testing purposes and as a method to determine the correct lens needed for each camera situation. The 2231 series is relatively inexpensive and a good way to test.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
One has built-in IR the other substitutes bright LED white lights which are always on at night.

The 5442 series is top of the hill for low light applications currently IMHO. They are great cameras.

Andy also sells on Amazon under the Loryta brand, which as Dahua cameras with his sticker. Here's the AS, you need to decide what lens

They make the bullet form as well, which I have installed over 2 dozen of, great camera
Amazon.com : Loryta IPC-B5442T-ASE 3.6mm Fixed Lens 4MP Starlight+ WDR IR Bullet AI Network Camera English Version : Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I was thinking about testing with this camera IPC-HDW5231R-ZE for varifocal. Is there a benefit to purchasing fixed lens over varifocal? Looks like the 2MP cameras are better in low light compared to the 4MP camera. Does Dahua make a varifocal 4MP camera? Thanks for all the help guys.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
There is a varifocal bullet version in the 5442 series and the 5442 is excellent in low light conditions. I recently added one and I'm extremely happy with its performance, color 24/7. That may change when the trees get leaves and block some of the ambient light though. The 2231 series, specifically the 2231T-ZS has a slightly more powerful lens and seems to outperform the 5231, slightly, in low light conditions. as well as being less expensive.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
read study plan before spending money

-------------------------------------------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Camera Sensor size info Sensor Size Chart Generally bigger is better

Before asking a question search the forum first...
The best way to search the forum is to use Google Advance search
set site or domain to ipcamtalk.com
OR
in the google search window enter.. site:ipcamtalk.com ?????? ..where ?????? is the items/terms you are interested in.
Example site:ipcamtalk.com PALE MOON BROWSER

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
you can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:
forum: EmpireTech Andy

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I was thinking about testing with this camera IPC-HDW5231R-ZE for varifocal. Is there a benefit to purchasing fixed lens over varifocal? Looks like the 2MP cameras are better in low light compared to the 4MP camera. Does Dahua make a varifocal 4MP camera? Thanks for all the help guys.
the 5231 series has been the best low light cost effective camera for a couple of years. The 5442 now wears that crown imho

yes the make a VF

Tom S

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

EmpireTech IP Camera IPC-HDW5831R-ZE 8MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera English Version

I am going to order some more of those when they come back in stock. Not as good at night but very good in the daytime. I like the varifocal and the mic.

I also have a couple of the 5231 Cameras and it is nice that they are fit on the same size mounting boxes. It has let me work on moving them around to see what camera I like best for what kind of location and also to compare side by side. I also like the mic and varifocal on these.

EmpireTech IPC-HDW5231R-ZE IP Camera 2MP Starlight

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't panic and run out and buy equipment without researching. I've read enough threads on here where people made regrettable decisions. You've lived this long without a camera system so take your time and think it through.