Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score

Vaccine in the works

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
More power to anyone who has accumulated and stored supplies over the years to be ready for any contingency--that's not hoarding during a crisis. But to wait until an event hits, then run to the store and grab more product than is necessary is wrong. Once a person finds themselves in this situation they're honor-bound to take only what is needed so others in the community have the same opportunity to protect themselves. At a minimum, people without supplies may get themselves and others sick--but while a community usually comes together during a crisis, there are always examples of illicit behavior that could have dire consequences.
Yes. And people taking advantage of the crisis to enrich themselves or to further unrelated agendas are the lowest!

To me, a key point of "prepping" is to reduce the sudden "shock load" on the normal supply chain. Everyone has become familiar with the concept of "flattening the curve" as relates to smoothing out the "flow" of patients into the hospital system so as not to overtax its limitations. But the very same concept is true for supplies of basic necessities. The more people maintain their own stockpiles of those necessities, the less of a burden they place on our brittle supply chain in the event of a sudden catastrophe.

And it annoys me to now see "experts" suddenly telling everyone that they must self-isolate at home for a few months, having NOT previously told people that they always need to have a few months (at least) of necessities on hand. And in the same breath, many are condemning people for now suddenly stocking up. Again, you can't have it both ways. If people are really going to avoid trips to the stores, of course they must be stocked up. So I don't even blame people for doing what they've effectively been told they have to do by these "experts" after also having been given little or no recommendation to already be prepared by their trusted leaders.

A lot of these same people complaining about "hoarding" are the very ones who ridiculed preppers in the past. I think that people who live in hurricane-prone areas tend to get at least some amount of public service commercials advising them to be prepared with a few weeks of food and water. But elsewhere in the country, I don't see any officials really giving much advice about preparedness. Some, but not much.

I wonder how many folks remember watching this as kid:

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - prep time, garden time:

Hint: Keyword = now

COVID-19: The global food supply chain is holding up, for now

ps - seriously, look at ways to reduce your dependency on the food supply chain. I'm expecting us to see impacts due to labor shortages, strikes, price increases, increased cost of labor, port / shipping / transport issues,...

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

A lot of these same people complaining about "hoarding" are the very ones who ridiculed preppers in the past. I think that people who live in hurricane-prone areas tend to get at least some amount of public service commercials advising them to be prepared with a few weeks of food and water. But elsewhere in the country, I don't see any officials really giving much advice about preparedness. Some, but not much.

I wonder how many folks remember watching this as kid:

Couldnt agree more. And you're correct, here in Floriduh many of us, (especially those living here since 2004) keep 2-4 weeks of supplies, down to water and gasoline for the generator, to be ready for hurricane season anyway. We just doubled up for this. I would probably do the same regardless of where we lived,.

But many folks who, (60% of America by some reports), have less than $400-$1000 saved for any emergency, will wait till its bearing down on us to go try to find supplies.
(I do tend to scratch my head when many of those same folks are living in $500K+ McMansions and wearing $200 sneakers..???)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hope everyone's family is doing well..

Everyone should wear a mask. But if you managed to snag any masks before they were gone, you're an evil hoarder.
While it's too late now, the moral, to me, is that everyone needs to be prepared to take care of themselves and their families, and even their neighbors and friends. Those nut-bag "preppers" actually "flatten the curve" whenever SHTF because they are NOT the ones who have to rush out and panic-buy goods all at once. Therefore, they do not contribute to the spike in demand that "breaks" supply chains.
So I really get tired of hearing these officials saying "don't hoard" from one side of their mouth, and then saying "stay home for several months" out of the other. You can't have it both ways unless you're going to organize safe delivery of essentials to everyone (which isn't that bad of an idea now).
I need to get going soon. Gotta go to work. I have my letter from the mayor of the town where I work granting passage as an essential worker should the governor ever wake up and lock our state down, (as I believe he should).
My son (in medical school), his wife (a teacher), and their two kids all have the virus. They live in a town about 140 miles away. They cannot be tested, but according to his doctor friends, they're all "presumptively positive". He says he feels "like burnt dog shit", but the others are doing better. He doesn't have too much time to chat, due to studies and finals. It's all being done on-line for now, and that's a very good thing.
Sorry for the useless rant. I guess it just feels good to spew at you all!

Courage and good health to you all!
Indeed @J Sigmo

Good to have you rant here.

Thank you for the water! ( God what a mess it would be if we had to truck water in on top of this.. )

The media and the government have always done some f'ed up stuff with regards to labeling people. We all should be sick of the BS.

Here is a good recent example:

Capitalism, Free markets, and how Governments turn Authoritarianism: an example
Executive Order 6102 is a United States presidential executive order signed on April 5, 1933, by President Franklin D. Roosevelt "forbidding the hoarding of gold coin, gold bullion, and gold certificates within the continental United States".

Basically the US government seized gold from US citizens and residents. Those who refused were charged with defrauding the US Government.

Some seriously f'ed up stuff happens.

This is why privacy is critical to help maintain balance.

Maybe partially true but let's admit, there's a lot of people that would rather piss their money away on a Covid-19 cruise ..
Hell, I knew of people signing up recently to take a cruise and were upset when it was cancelled! LOL, and they cried to us that they now could not find TP!

Some people should not reproduce...

Well, we already see this disaster being used by certain factions to try to push through their political agendas, ...

When you herd cattle, the basic idea is to scare them into doing what you want them to do, right? We've got to be very careful about all of this.
Be prepared.. the fleecing of the flock is here... expect riots once the flock figures out just how much they got fleeced when others are wearing Prada from this.

What about farts?
PLEASE Wear a mask!... I mean underwear! Perhaps double up? The community will thank you.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would wear a mask for whatever protection it affords, but have not found any to buy and am not competent sewing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Can you use scissors? Have a t-shirt around?

Have a 3-d printer?
Make The Masks

Have office supplies?

quick and easy

Check etsy.. order a nicer one from someone who can sew.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More pain coming if migrant labor is unavailable ...

Coronavirus upends global food supply chains in latest economic shock
APRIL 3, 2020 / 11:29 AM / A DAY AGO

SATARA, India, SINGAPORE, LONDON (Reuters) - In the fertile Satara district in western India, farmers are putting their cattle on an unorthodox diet: Some feed iceberg lettuce to buffalo. Others feed strawberries to cows.

The farmers cannot get their produce to consumers because of lockdowns that aim to stop the spread of coronavirus. In India, as in many parts of the world, restrictions on population movement are wreaking havoc on farming and food supply chains and raising concern of more widespread shortages and price spikes to come.

Across the globe, millions of laborers cannot get to the fields for harvesting and planting. There are too few truckers to keep goods moving. Air freight capacity for fresh produce has plummeted as planes are grounded. And there is a shortage of food containers for shipping because of a drop in voyages from China.

In Florida, a lack of Mexican migrant laborers means watermelon and blueberry growers face the prospect of rotting crops. Similar shortages of workers in Europe mean vegetable farms are missing the window to plant.

Coronavirus upends global food supply chains in latest economic shock

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looting Wave Strikes New York City Amid Coronavirus Lockdown
Looting Wave Strikes New York City Amid Coronavirus Lockdown
Smells like exaggeration mixed in with a good measure bullshit to me; very little evidence available on this purported outbreak of "looting." Not saying it's not going to happen, just -- by and large -- there's presently scant evidence of truth to this. Everyone seems to like picking on New York City, but truth is that New Yorkers are the same Americans as the rest of the country, there simply more of 'em packed into a tighter place.

Last edited:

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Cruise operator under criminal investigation after 11 Ruby Princess passengers dead from virus

There's a few people due for an arse-reaming over this. I hope the authorities follow through.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
India Bans All Exports of Trump’s ‘Game Changer’ Virus Drug
Rajesh Kumar Singh, 2 hrs ago

(Bloomberg) -- India banned all exports of hydroxychloroquine, a malaria drug that President Donald Trump has touted as a “game changer” in the fight against Covid-19.

Exports of the drug and its formulations are prohibited “without any exceptions” and with immediate effect, India’s Directorate General of Foreign Trade said in an April 4 order on its website. The trade regulator had last month restricted overseas shipments of the drug, allowing only limited exceptions such as on humanitarian grounds and for meeting prior commitments.

ref:

and another reference ( Indian News ):

Blanket ban on export of anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine, government withdraws exemptions
By Kirtika Suneja
ET Bureau|Last Updated: Apr 04, 2020, 10.17 PM IST

NEW DELHI: The government on Saturday imposed a blanket ban on the export anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine and its formulations, days after it culled out exceptions for some categories.

“The export of hydroxychloroquine and formulations made from hydroxychloroquine, therefore, shall remain prohibited, without any exception,” the Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) said in a notification.

Read more at: