Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Despite guidance from the CDC I'm still reading on other forums people saying that wearing a mask is a waste of time and only makes you look stupid at the grocery store.
Indeed @Sybertiger

There are also those who stated that guns do not protect vs the pandemic and that we should ban guns.

Needless to state.. guns of course are not used to kill sars-cov-2...

They probably did it in retaliation to Trump attempting to prevent 3M from shipping N95 masks outside of USA.
Hi @Walrus

iirc the first bans enacted by India on pharma products came before Trump stopped the N95 masks from going out to Germany..

..I wonder if CCP doesn't even need these materials as they already make 50% of the world supply of masks; perhaps they are waging war on the world to prevent the rest of us from getting this under control...
What us actually worse is that even if we decided to make our own Hydroxychloriquine we probably lack the raw materials to do so. If we are cut off of raw materials it'll take quite a bit of time to get in a position to manufacture product.
Hi @Sybertiger

I got the impression that those hoarding the masks were looking to individually profit from them. I didn't realize it was as organized as they are stated now. The question now is are those companies behind this "state run" ( i.e. CCP controlled ) or private companies in China.

In terms of API ( active pharma ingredients ) - China and India iirc are the 2 largest producers. So in terms of raw materials the rest of the world probably will be challenged to ramp up this quickly...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
CCP - upset and angry that Taiwan wants to donate masks...

Taiwan offers masks and medical aid to foreign countries, angering Beijing
Self-ruled island has been frozen out of the World Health Organisation but its strong response to Covid-19 has helped raise its profile
Taipei has offered to donate 10 million face masks to countries that are battling the outbreak

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
CCP - upset and angry that Taiwan wants to donate masks...

Self-ruled island has been frozen out of the World Health Organisation but its strong response to Covid-19 has helped raise its profile
Taipei has offered to donate 10 million face masks to countries that are battling the outbreak

Free Taiwan! The whole world should recognize them as a free and sovereign nation!

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Obviously unless you have a full positive pressure, over-the-head external (or HEPA filtered) air source helmet/mask and suit, you can't stop 100% of any airborne particles or droplets.

But a wearing your seatbelt isn't a 100% guarantee that you will be unhurt in any collision.

No typical safety equipment is 100% effective.

But we use it because it provides a level of protection that outweighs the hassle or cost of using it.

Wearing a mask is a no-brainer in my opinion if you have access to one, use it properly, and aren't denying it to someone who is at a greater risk than you.

And if you are taking care of someone at high risk, you owe it to them to protect yourself from catching it or potentially spreading it should you turn out to be positive but asymptomatic. In fact, assuming asymptomatic people are responsible for a lot of the spread, doesn't everyone owe it to everyone else to wear a mask for the protection of everyone else?

The only reason not to wear a mask when you're around others out in the world right now is if there is a shortage of masks. Which obviously there is.

So even well designed home-brew masks make sense right now. Again, use them properly, which means assuming the outside surfaces will end up contaminated. But why not do what you can to reduce the spread from you to others as well as from others to you?

The idea that this cannot be spread by droplets expelled into the air seems preposterous to me. It may be a matter of degree, of course, but if someone sneezes or coughs in my direction, I'm going to wish they had a mask of some sort on.

And what if you or someone else coughs or sneezes in the vicinity of products that someone else is about to pick up at the store? If I'm wearing even a bandana, and I cough in the store, wouldn't you feel a bit better than if I had no covering at all, and just let it fly?

Did any of you see the episode of mythbusters where they tested how far droplets fly when you sneeze? It was both hilarious and informative. Six feet? You wish! :)

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Obviously unless you have a full positive pressure, over-the-head external (or HEPA filtered) air source helmet/mask and suit, you can't stop 100% of any airborne particles or droplets.

But a wearing your seatbelt isn't a 100% guarantee that you will be unhurt in any collision.

No typical safety equipment is 100% effective.

But we use it because it provides a level of protection that outweighs the hassle or cost of using it.

Wearing a mask is a no-brainer in my opinion if you have access to one, use it properly, and aren't denying it to someone who is at a greater risk than you.

And if you are taking care of someone at high risk, you owe it to them to protect yourself from catching it or potentially spreading it should you turn out to be positive but asymptomatic. In fact, assuming asymptomatic people are responsible for a lot of the spread, doesn't everyone owe it to everyone else to wear a mask for the protection of everyone else?

The only reason not to wear a mask when you're around others out in the world right now is if there is a shortage of masks. Which obviously there is.

So even well designed home-brew masks make sense right now. Again, use them properly, which means assuming the outside surfaces will end up contaminated. But why not do what you can to reduce the spread from you to others as well as from others to you?

The idea that this cannot be spread by droplets expelled into the air seems preposterous to me. It may be a matter of degree, of course, but if someone sneezes or coughs in my direction, I'm going to wish they had a mask of some sort on.

And what if you or someone else coughs or sneezes in the vicinity of products that someone else is about to pick up at the store? If I'm wearing even a bandana, and I cough in the store, wouldn't you feel a bit better than if I had no covering at all, and just let it fly?

Did any of you see the episode of mythbusters where they tested how far droplets fly when you sneeze? It was both hilarious and informative. Six feet? You wish! :)

I'm hearing guidance that says that the act of exhaling or talking can expel Covid-19 into breathable atmosphere.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been seeing the same for weeks. Best guess is it IS indeed aerosol-ized for hours in the immediate proximity.

*** whether its still viakle to infect someone floating in the air? I have no idea...

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NY Times aricle:
( one issues was lack of tests available in March to test for Sars-Cov-2 / COVID-19 )

Official Counts Understate the U.S. Death Toll
Inconsistent protocols, limited resources and a patchwork of decision-making has led to undercounting of those who have died, health experts say.

By Sarah Kliff and Julie Bosman
April 5, 2020Updated 8:30 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON — A coroner in Indiana wanted to know if the coronavirus had killed a man in early March, but said that her health department denied a test. Paramedics in New York City say that many patients who died at home were never tested for the coronavirus, even if they showed telltale signs of infection.
In Virginia, a funeral director prepared the remains of three people after health workers cautioned her that they each had tested positive for the coronavirus. But only one of the three had the virus noted on the death certificate.
Across the United States, even as coronavirus deaths are being recorded in terrifying numbers — many hundreds each day — the true death toll is likely much higher.

The undercount is a result of inconsistent protocols, limited resources and a patchwork of decision-making from one state or county to the next.

In many rural areas, coroners say they don’t have the tests they need to detect the disease. Doctors now believe that some deaths in February and early March, before the coronavirus reached epidemic levels in the United States, were likely misidentified as influenza or only described as pneumonia.
Late last week, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued new guidance for how to certify coronavirus deaths,..
In its guidance, the C.D.C. instructed officials to report deaths where the patient has tested positive or, in an absence of testing, “if the circumstances are compelling within a reasonable degree of certainty.”

ref: ( free to sign up for Corona coverage iirc )
Official Counts Understate the U.S. Coronavirus Death Toll

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
National Center for Disease Statistics. As the MIT PhD Bioengineer said in the video, there are many motivations for China & the globalists to prolong the quarantine. Chinese billionaire oligarch is largest investor in Wells Fargo Bank. 10 million people are unemployed and stand to default on their home loans. WF carries the paper on these loans.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score

@Oceanslider , that fellow from MIT shared a lot of insight. At the end of the day, every individual
has their own personal agenda it seems. However that fellow from MIT shared a genuine concern not just on the current issue but how this has fractured academic institutions as well. The cracks go deep.

One thing is factual, money speaks and the world’s wealthiest are crossing the limit. This almost sounds like a human experiment.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
China Customs destoryed 10 millons pcs bad quality masks from April.1st-5th, the suppliers will have 3-5 times fine. Thousands tons of masks waiing to ship after the inspecting. So the quality can be good improving soon. I am also so shamed lots of bad guys selling fake masks overseas, we also bought a lot of fake masks here too. Some people try to earn money from panic.
We also met bad lacking of masks in early Feb, the taiwan is the first place that forbid to sell any masks to China mainland. ;) China has 1.4 billions people, right now around 70% people still have to wear masks everyday. Each day will use 0.8-0.9 billions pcs masks. That is a lot. And the cases increasing again now in CHINA, so we have to be careful. Anyway, i will go on helping the people purchase the KN95 masks here if need any support.
Stay safe!
1586163786515.png

Last edited: