Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay, for all you cosmoline gun buryin', water filtratin', food stockin', hatchet carryin', fire makin', shelter buildin', ham radioin', N95 maskin' son of a guns remembered to stock potassium iodate tabs AND have checked the expiration date recently?
Potassium Iodate, frequently purchased under a brand called IOSTAT, do not expire. Potassium iodide is not an antibiotic, anti-viral, or a vitamin that is subject to aging or oxidation anymore than potassium chloride (table salt) is.

The pills do not go bad.. ever.

The expiration date on them is a function (misapplication) of FDA laws.

Far more comical, is the idea that tens of thousands of preppers will stock these pills and not have the slightest clue of when to use them or why.. and in many cases, even how. Ask a hundred preppers if they have a Geiger counter, and 99 of them will say no.. ... then ask the last guy how much radiation is too much, and he'll just look at you with a blank stare.

Don't even bother asking about the differences of ionizing vs non-ionizing radiation.

Preppers, on average, are not a very bright bunch of folks, and very few of them have any idea on the differences between Alpha, Beta, Gamma or Neutron radiation, or what to do about each.

Angel_Eater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Very difficult to defend against. Only 100% safe way would be if you had a bunker and could hideaway for 18 months with stored food / water until they have a vaccine and then get vaccinated before you could get exposed. I'm guessing for most people, they either don't have the facility to do that, or have jobs that would prevent that in any event. Watching your boss burn in a nuclear war, is very different to having to go back to an intact world with no job after the virus has cleared. That's going to be a major problem for those that can bug out and most can't.

Only other alternative is going to be to watch the situation and if it becomes widespread, resort to biohazard suits and sterilising anything (including food) brought into the house. Again very difficult for most people who will most likely have to rely on masks, safety glasses and hand washing.
This thing is single stranded RNA. It will mutate very easily without the second strand. This thing is going to become a very contagious and deadly version of the season flu.

Angel_Eater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I rcv'd a notice from Amazon cancelling my order of some N95 masks today due to unavailability. I checked for other sources on Amazon and was amazed that almost all the sellers were also marked as 'Unavailable' !
They have been a hot commodity for weeks now. Just wear a scarf and hold your breath for 60 seconds when someone sneezes around you!

Angel_Eater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Summary of what I have seen and my expectations.

1) CCP failed to in the critical early stages to contain this virus.
2) 1-2% CFR ( case fatality rate ) - estimated
3) not enough test kits, issues with false negatives.
4) asymptomatic spread appears possible
5) incubation period 2-14 day.. perhaps even as long as 24 days
6) R value - 2+, maybe 2-6 ?
7) Global cases - some countries not reporting ( perhaps unable to test? silent spreading? )
8) Significant impact on supply chains

Considering the facts so far, I would expect this to eventually hit every country.

To prepare I am considering keeping a minimum supply of essentials in case of further supply chain disruption.

Perhaps a good time now to make a list of the critical items:
1) medication - prescriptions, over the counter
2) toileteries ( hong kong ran short of TP .. ) - ..
3) food, water
4) gas ( keep the cars at 1/2 tank or more )
5) bleach and other cleaning supplies to help disinfect
6) masks ( for when / if someone is ill they can wear it to reduce spread of germs ), latex or similar disposable gloves
7) kitchen - paper towels, dish washing soap,...
8) laundry detergents
9) ...
Started this weeks ago. I agree, this thing will hit every country in the near future.

Angel_Eater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not concerned. We've had what, 1 or 2 deaths in the US from it. There have been over 10,000 deaths from the flu virus and it barely makes waves on TV. This is news because CN tried to suppress the news & fear sells.
Get your flu shot, wash your hands and cover your mouth when you cough. You'll be fine.
1-2 deaths (inaccurate), but with less than 20 cases? You're not coming to my bunker! LOL

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't you just love it when people give you a blank stare when you wear an N95 mask outside?! :facepalm:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Holy macro, people weren't kidding. At least those buying and wearing N95 masks are responsible citizens. Yesterday, people around me were coughing and sneezing. My immune system was already suppressed by the multiple medications I'm currently taking. If people have issues with others wearing N95 masks, they should probably reconsider their career choice / field.

I grabbed the last few packages of N95 masks from Home Depot last night. They still have a bunch of the more expensive respirators.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you don't like what the press has to say.. ban them:
( or, Standard Operating Procedures for an Authoritarian regime that resulted in the Wuhan Corona virus pandemic levels we see... )

"China revoked three Wall Street Journal reporters’ credentials over an opinion headline.

China on Wednesday said it would revoke the credentials of three Wall Street Journal reporters working in mainland China, in a significant escalation of Beijing’s pressure on foreign news organizations.

A spokesman for China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the move was in retaliation for a headline on a Feb. 3 opinion piece about the economic impact of the coronavirus, “China Is the Real Sick Man of Asia.”

“Sick man of Asia” was a derogatory characterization of China’s weaknesses in the late 1800s and early 1900s, when it suffered internal divisions and was exploited by foreign powers.

Chinese officials have “demanded that The Wall Street Journal recognize the seriousness of the error, openly and formally apologize, and investigate and punish those responsible,” Geng Shuang, the ministry spokesman, said in a transcript provided by the Chinese government.

The revocations come less than a day after American officials said they would treat representatives of five government-controlled Chinese news organizations — Xinhua, CGTN, China Radio, China Daily and People’s Daily — as foreign government functionaries, subject to rules similar to those applied to diplomats."

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Here’s How Scientists Think Coronavirus Spreads from Bats to Humans

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you don't like what the press has to say.. ban them: (or, Standard Operating Procedures for an Authoritarian regime that resulted in the Wuhan Corona virus pandemic levels we see)...
Indeed Matt; this has a been an effective strategy for a very long time, all the way back to the Nazi's "Lügenpresse" campaign.

StewartM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the rush for an effective treatment? Reports of anti-HIV drugs like Kaletra and antimalarial drugs like Chloroquine to treat COVID-19 are surfacing. Layman logic perhaps but if COVID-19 responds to antiviral drugs, could they reduce the viral load to undetectable levels resulting in a premature discharge? The accuracy of the COVID-19 blood test isn’t stellar - Just hope someone is scrutinising these treatments.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting discussion on the topic by these 2 who have lived many years in China:

Most interesting point imho:
If the Chinese economy does not get back up to speed soon, the CCP power will be threatened. ( paraphrasing )

note: Youtube is demonetizing numerous videos covering this topic

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting discussion on the topic by these 2 who have lived many years in China:

Most interesting point imho:
If the Chinese economy does not get back up to speed soon, the CCP power will be threatened. ( paraphrasing )

note: Youtube is demonetizing numerous videos covering this topic

Have to love how the police aren't wearing protective equipment. As for Youtube, Youtube need to simply ban users who post fake news. There are videos everywhere on every subject including wars with China, Korea and Russia. It's as if some are trying to start a war.

Interestingly, one solution where antibiotics fail can be nano or colloidal silver. The EU banned it a few years ago even on plasters, as can have some side effects - long term use turns the skin irreversibly blue and it can have a few other internal side effects. That said, it used to be used before antibiotics to kill infection as I believe it works by disrupting the viral structure. Would it work, I'm not sure and couldn't encourage anyone to take it as it's not without risk. But be interesting to see hospitals use it as a last resort when everything else is failing After all, it's better than dying.

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have to love how the police aren't wearing protective equipment. As for Youtube, Youtube need to simply ban users who post fake news. There are videos everywhere on every subject including wars with China, Korea and Russia. It's as if some are trying to start a war.

Interestingly, one solution where antibiotics fail can be nano or colloidal silver. The EU banned it a few years ago even on plasters, as can have some side effects - long term use turns the skin irreversibly blue and it can have a few other internal side effects. That said, it used to be used before antibiotics to kill infection as I believe it works by disrupting the viral structure. Would it work, I'm not sure and couldn't encourage anyone to take it as it's not without risk. But be interesting to see hospitals use it as a last resort when everything else is failing After all, it's better than dying.

Colloidal silver is nothing but pseudo science horse crap pushed by people with irrational beliefs.

Lots of things that never worked were used in the old days before modern solutions. Heck, they even used to drain your blood to get the evil spirits out.

Desperate people tend to believe anything that gives them hope or provides an escape from reality and facts to induce the illusion of comfort. We have entire billion (trillion?) dollar industries based on this scam.

No hospital in the USA would ever use colloidal silver for any medical condition.