Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Respiratory congestion symptoms persist after more than a month. $21,500 into the 1880 historic money-pit restoration continues. Back on the payroll this week thanks to PPP. Much of the brutal work is subsiding. Previously acquired wounds are healing...however...stupid never heals.

thumb.3.jpg

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We need an "agree" like. That had to hurt!
Funny thing is I didn't notice when (ever) it happened...didn't realize it until I woke up with a black & blue thumbnail. As I wrote before: I'm so beaten down everything looks like up. Lost 18 pounds though!...232 now!...never though I'd see 220 again but 220 here I come! hardwork.gif

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
He should appoint Jared Kushner to step in and fix the problem. Such a strong record of success with that guy...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This will be such a massive backfire once again by Democrats.
We sit here and watch the Democrat Governors and Mayors keep things shut down while screaming about Trump being a dictator.
The internet will not be forgetting these facts.
I also see republicans winning seats in California this morning too - and so it begins. LOL

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
In all likelihood we will be in a massive Covid surge around election time and it will be a democratic landslide up and down the ticket.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is some analysis of opinions on Governors responses. Mixed bag (R+D) at the top but at the bottom you've got Republicans that are opening quickly like in Georgia and Texas.

Yes, CNN so you can just say it's fake news if you like. Poll done by WaPo / Ipsos.

Takeaway is in most states folks approve of and trust Governors.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
No more Kool Aid for you, Frankenscript.
Seriously, there is no reason to think we will be past this anytime this year. If we can keep case loads low enough to not swamp our medical capacity, it will be a major success.

I very much expect a surge in the fall and a need to at least partially re-lock-down.

But what do I know? I'm just a scientist in the health care industry. Since I don't have a YouTube channel I've got no credibility to point to.

(Edit: I'm a microbiologist but don't currently work as a scientist... The jokes are better in marketing)

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Here is some analysis of opinions on Governors responses. Mixed bag (R+D) at the top but at the bottom you've got Republicans that are opening quickly like in Georgia and Texas.

Takeaway is in most states folks approve of and trust Governors.
My governor took the toilets out of his home to avoid paying property taxes, and still got elected.

During the lockdown, he sent his wife to stay down in their FL home.

I could go on.

I'd say, for me at least, I neither approve of or trust my governor. If it wasn't for family/work/house, I'd move to TX or FL. I approve of those guys.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The point about 90% accuracy is an important one for sure. Presumably when they do this thing they will be administering a pair of different tests; chances of an infectious person coming up negative on both would be pretty low (theoretically maybe 1% but probably a bit more than that in practice). At least that's how I would arrange it.

I'm sure that positive people will be put into the "concentration hospitals." Doesn't sound like fun for them but would be an effective way of controlling the transmission. China's not real big on individual rights so this won't be an impediment.

I think the world will be watching. As we consider "what happens in the fall, when the temps drop and we lose any "summer effect" and the kids go back to school" ... do we require a COVID test prior to kids returning? Would that even help? How frequently should kids be tested for infectiousness to reduce spread, and for antibody (resistance) to study the epidemiology?

The whole point for us will be avoiding further lockdowns if possible so measures like this need to be considered to see if they will help.

Loved the article about Hong Kong. Such a different mindset and outcome than over here...
Hi @Frankenscript

We'd probably need to know more about the test's stats to do some good modeling on it.

11 Million tests for the entire population only gives you a snapshot at the moment and as this bugger moves exponentially and numerous issues with test accuracy, it just seems to not be a fully successful plan.

Agreed you'd probably need to add enough testing to get better accuracy, and certainly the CCP has proven it has good authoritarian control ( which makes me even more suspect that they purposefully let this bugger get out into the world to create as much damage as possible to rock the boat and get more control of the world ).

The Chinese PRC / CCP leadership certainly have bright people, so the more I look at the details the more I think they're playing a game of power and using the Pandemic to gain more power both internationally and within the PRC.

I think we should be looking at lessons from Countries which are not authoritarian.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @Frankenscript

We'd probably need to know more about the test's stats to do some good modeling on it.

11 Million tests for the entire population only gives you a snapshot at the moment and as this bugger moves exponentially and numerous issues with test accuracy, it just seems to not be a fully successful plan.

Agreed you'd probably need to add enough testing to get better accuracy, and certainly the CCP has proven it has good authoritarian control ( which makes me even more suspect that they purposefully let this bugger get out into the world to create as much damage as possible to rock the boat and get more control of the world ).

The Chinese PRC / CCP leadership certainly have bright people, so the more I look at the details the more I think they're playing a game of power and using the Pandemic to gain more power both internationally and within the PRC.

I think we should be looking at lessons from Countries which are not authoritarian.
Fair points, all. Personally I don't think they released this intentionally but I may well be proven wrong.

I'm very much hoping they do this effort, because we can't (in any practical way) do it here in the US. I agree the limits on testing accuracy make it far from perfect, but imagine if they capture the snapshot of infectious people AND through serology, exposed people, and relate that to the longitudinal records they no doubt have of the city during the time it was the epicenter of the disease. The real records, not the ones they shared with the rest of us, I mean. What we could learn from that!

Still, it they have a new outbreak starting to brew there, and they quickly are able to identify and remove let's say 80% (on the safe side) of the "infectious at time of testing" people, and do contact tracing (which they are VERY good at), to identify people to keep an eye on for potential infectiousness, they may very well squash the outbreak like a bug.

It's data. I think there's a lesson in it. I also want to learn from non-authoritarian approaches, as those may be more applicable to us here.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If the data is the result of flawed testing or test results, the data is equally flawed. My take on this is that they are doing this, with all the media hype, to show that they are leading the way while in reality the lead us into this mess.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PRC China CCP threaten tariffs on Australia for inquiry requests to coronavirus outbreak:

Sky News Australia
419K subscribers
LNP MP George Christensen said when responding to the coronavirus, Communist China “corralled the problem for themselves, and sent (the virus) across the world”.

Mr Christensen has called China’s recent trade actions against Australia a “bastard act,” and said it was far “too convenient and too much of a coincidence” that only weeks after the government called for a global inquiry into COVID-19, for China to then threaten tariffs.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Its ironic that that a left wing comic criticizing people for calling out fake news is actually filled with fake news.

Trump never declared victory (even though the media was trying to push him to do so)

Protesters are not protesting against masks or claiming its a hoax. They want businesses safely opened. They were wearing masks at the protests.

Trump disagreed with GA governor, stating he thought it was too early to open and we should listen to medical professionals.

I know its satire and all, but good grief. Hey MSM, don't be shocked when you are labeled as fake news.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Its ironic that that a left wing comic criticizing people for calling out fake news is actually filled with fake news.

Trump never declared victory (even though the media was trying to push him to do so)

Protesters are not protesting against masks or claiming its a hoax. They want businesses safely opened. They were wearing masks at the protests.

Trump disagreed with GA governor, stating he thought it was too early to open and we should listen to medical professionals.

I know its satire and all, but good grief. Hey MSM, don't be shocked when you are labeled as fake news.
Take a look at the pictures from the protests. If 10% of the protesters were wearing masks I'd be surprised. Here is one picture selected at random from those where faces were easily be visible;
Screenshot_20200514-091528.jpg
A few masks. Very few.

And Trump initially supported the Georgia reopening before his team convinced him it was too risky, then he flip flopped on the issue.

And meanwhile he has been constantly fanning the flames of the protesters and pushing for a quick reopening.

I agree he never declared victory but his nonsensical ravings such as saying schools would be open in the fall when it is way to early to state this add fuel to the fire.

He has been downplaying the crisis since day 1 in January and constantly trying to put it in the rear view mirror and the cost is American lives.

Last edited: