Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
There's Vimeo and Daily Motion, but they don't stake up well

I've noticed that a clip from 9/11 is always on my YouTube recommended list, its really absurd
I'm never logged in and my IP is not static

someone needs to come up with a YouTube alternative. One that will let people speak their minds regardless. One that is not controlled strictly by Leftist Fascist.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
YouTube fears that people will overdose or simply take un-prescribed drugs. Instead of putting ads, YouTube should play a disclaimer (assuming no responsibility) and let viewers decide whatever is best for their lives
Spot on @Arjun

If youtube wants editorial influence this is the way to go imho.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...One that will let people speak their minds regardless...

21 May 2020

Jack Dorsey, CEO
Twitter Inc.
1355 Market Street
Suite 900
San Francisco, California 94103
Via email: jack@twitter.com

Mr. Dorsey:

Nearly 19 years ago, my wife, who had an undiagnosed heart condition, fell and hit her head on her desk at work. She was found dead the next morning. Her name is Lori Kaye Klausutis and she was 28 years old when she died. Her passing is the single most painful thing that I have ever had to deal with in my 52 years and continues to haunt her parents and sister.

I have mourned my wife every day since her passing. I have tried to honor her memory and our marriage. As her husband, I feel that one of my marital obligations is to protect her memory as I would have protected her in life. There has been a constant barrage of falsehoods, half-truths, innuendo and conspiracy theories since the day she died. I realize that may sound like an exaggeration, unfortunately it is the verifiable truth. Because of this, I have struggled to move forward with my life.

The frequency, intensity, ugliness, and promulgation of these horrifying lies ever increases on the internet. These conspiracy theorists, including most recently the President of the United States, continue to spread their bile and misinformation on your platform disparaging the memory of my wife and our marriage. President Trump on Tuesday tweeted to his nearly 80 million followers alluding to the repeatedly debunked falsehood that my wife was murdered by her boss, former U.S. Rep. Joe Scarborough. The son of the president followed and more directly attacked my wife by tweeting to his followers as the means of spreading this vicious lie.

I’m sure you are aware of this situation because media around the world have covered it, but just in case, here it is:

Tweet01.jpg

My request is simple: Please delete these tweets.

I’m a research engineer and no ta lawyer, but I’ve reviewed all of Twitter’s rules and terms of service. The President’s tweet that suggests that Lori was murdered — without evidence (and contrary to the official autopsy) — is a violation of Twitter’s community rules and terms of service. An ordinary user like me would be banished from the platform for such a tweet but I am only asking that these tweets be removed.

I am now angry as well as frustrated and grieved. I understand that Twitter’s policies about content are designed to maintain the appearance that your hands are clean you provide the platform and the rest is up to users. However, in certain past cases, Twitter has removed content and accounts that are inconsistent with your terms of service.

I’m asking you to intervene in this instance because the President of the United States has taken something that does not belong to him — the memory of my dead wife — and perverted it for perceived political gain. I would also ask that you consider Lori’s niece and two nephews who will eventually come across this filth in the future. They have never met their Aunt and it pains me to think they would ever have to “learn” about her this way.

Would you like recommendations for more stories like this?

My wife deserves better.

Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Timothy J. Klausutis

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
An ordinary user like me would be banished from the platform for such a tweet
And they are on a regular basis. Unless their speech is in line with their agendas.

Even Twitter is not dumb enough to censor the speech of the most powerful person on the planet.

Last edited:

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Do tell.... :rofl:
Here's a start. An older article but not much has changed since then, due to Republican supermajority:

Note for the record that the Indianapolis Star is a pretty right-leaning publication, so I was surprised to see this story there. The bottom line is that in Indianapolis, where many of the Democrats are concentrated, polling places are harder to access and satellite locations for early voting are nearly impossible to get to if they exist at all. I'm in one of the donut counties surrounding Marion, and I have better access to satellite voting even if it isn't ideal (long lines every time I've done it). Many of the most rural counties (strongly Republican) have enough satellite locations that you can drive up, park easily, go in and vote right away, and leave in 5 minutes.

Indiana is also notorious for trying to scrub the voting roles, even without notice to those being removed. I believe one effort to do so was overturned by the courts. In Indiana (and many other states) there are structural disadvantages to democratic voters, in the form of access to polling sites, shorter hours making it hard for shift workers or those with kids, and other things. These disproportionately impact democrats.

But, the larger story is we need to be planning for every citizen to be able to cast their ballot in November, amid a pandemic which means we can't be planning for business as usual. We don't know what exactly it will be like this fall, but it is nearly a certainty that at least some locations will be under new restrictions / lockdowns as hotspots flare up. We have to plan for worst case and hope for the best case. For sure, universal absentee ballot by mail should be an option for those who choose to use it, as just one element of the solution.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
And this looks to be very good for democracy (sarcasm!):

Given that facebook hacking / fraudulent ads helped get him elected, I'm surprised he would want to regulate these sites...

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
LOL ... you sound like a CNN host :rofl:

1) Anyone who wants to vote in Marion County CAN vote.
2) If you believe an insignificant number of fake FB ads (that Trump had noting to do with) got Trump elected, I have some swamp land I think you may be interested in

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
LOL ... you sound like a CNN host :rofl:

1) Anyone who wants to vote in Marion County CAN vote.
2) If you believe an insignificant number of fake FB ads (that Trump had noting to do with) got Trump elected, I have some swamp land I think you may be interested in
I'm not saying they can't vote, I'm saying the system is designed to make it harder for them, and this provides a structural advantage to Republicans.

And I do believe Facebook misuse contributed to Trump's victory, among other things.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
21 May 2020

Jack Dorsey, CEO
Twitter Inc.
1355 Market Street
Suite 900
San Francisco, California 94103
Via email: jack@twitter.com

Mr. Dorsey:

Nearly 19 years ago, my wife, who had an undiagnosed heart condition, fell and hit her head on her desk at work. She was found dead the next morning. Her name is Lori Kaye Klausutis and she was 28 years old when she died. Her passing is the single most painful thing that I have ever had to deal with in my 52 years and continues to haunt her parents and sister.

I have mourned my wife every day since her passing. I have tried to honor her memory and our marriage. As her husband, I feel that one of my marital obligations is to protect her memory as I would have protected her in life. There has been a constant barrage of falsehoods, half-truths, innuendo and conspiracy theories since the day she died. I realize that may sound like an exaggeration, unfortunately it is the verifiable truth. Because of this, I have struggled to move forward with my life.

The frequency, intensity, ugliness, and promulgation of these horrifying lies ever increases on the internet. These conspiracy theorists, including most recently the President of the United States, continue to spread their bile and misinformation on your platform disparaging the memory of my wife and our marriage. President Trump on Tuesday tweeted to his nearly 80 million followers alluding to the repeatedly debunked falsehood that my wife was murdered by her boss, former U.S. Rep. Joe Scarborough. The son of the president followed and more directly attacked my wife by tweeting to his followers as the means of spreading this vicious lie.

I’m sure you are aware of this situation because media around the world have covered it, but just in case, here it is:

View attachment 62526

My request is simple: Please delete these tweets.

I’m a research engineer and no ta lawyer, but I’ve reviewed all of Twitter’s rules and terms of service. The President’s tweet that suggests that Lori was murdered — without evidence (and contrary to the official autopsy) — is a violation of Twitter’s community rules and terms of service. An ordinary user like me would be banished from the platform for such a tweet but I am only asking that these tweets be removed.

I am now angry as well as frustrated and grieved. I understand that Twitter’s policies about content are designed to maintain the appearance that your hands are clean you provide the platform and the rest is up to users. However, in certain past cases, Twitter has removed content and accounts that are inconsistent with your terms of service.

I’m asking you to intervene in this instance because the President of the United States has taken something that does not belong to him — the memory of my dead wife — and perverted it for perceived political gain. I would also ask that you consider Lori’s niece and two nephews who will eventually come across this filth in the future. They have never met their Aunt and it pains me to think they would ever have to “learn” about her this way.

Would you like recommendations for more stories like this?

My wife deserves better.

Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Timothy J. Klausutis
Interesting how Scarborough resigned from congress two months after her death. Also interesting how Klausutis' autopsy was not conclusive.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not saying they can't vote, I'm saying the system is designed to make it harder for them, and this provides a structural advantage to Republicans.

And I do believe Facebook misuse contributed to Trump's victory, among other things.

Bullshit

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Funny how NY State is getting quick and ahead of themselves in terms of opening up. Seems like they’re forgetting that people are asymptomatic for several days and people also afraid to go to the hospital. Apparently, Long Island is ready to reopen

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Early voting and mail-in ballots, unless you physically can't get to a polling place on election day, are all designed to water down the vote and slant it in one direction and one direction only. As a citizen of the US if you can't be bothered to get to a polling place to vote on election day you are not actually worthy of being a US citizen or complaining, at all, about who gets elected whether it's a Democrat or Republican. Voting in person on the appointed day is a very, very, small sacrifice for the freedoms we all enjoy.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Early voting and mail-in ballots, unless you physically can't get to a polling place on election day, are all designed to water down the vote and slant it in one direction and one direction only. As a citizen of the US if you can't be bothered to get to a polling place to vote on election day you are not actually worthy of being a US citizen or complaining, at all, about who gets elected whether it's a Democrat or Republican. Voting in person on the appointed day is a very, very, small sacrifice for the freedoms we all enjoy.
In normal times I might agree, bit this year it is likely that large swaths of the country may be facing restrictions in movement and the hazard to voters and poll workers needs to be considered

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - votes...

I recall cases where both the Democrats and Republicans conspired with each other to draw voting lines in States to keep competition for seats "stable".

Seriously both parties play the game to knock voters in or out. This is to be expected and thus why we have 3 branches of Government and the 4th estate in an attempt to keep a reasonable balance. Issue is that sometimes that balance gets knocked out of wack - especially right now when I see less balanced reporting.