Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Again, it boils down to level of maturity

In the US, we spend a lot of time comparing penis sizes; almost everyone is preoccupied by other issues predisposed on this nation. Some still think they have been enslaved by China through the form of cheap consumable goods sold at premium prices.

Whereas, other countries have taken the necessary swift and appropriate action against this virus. Some countries are on the verge of returning to normalcy again

If you want to get to number one, stop talking with bigotry and start collectively emphasizing on public safety,

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
We can see the level of maturity. Additionally, later on she also said that multiple scientific studies support the idea of opening schools and also cited the success of our European "peers' doing exactly that. Selective memory seems to be the order of the media with things any more.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Per Worldometers, USA posted more than 1000 COVID-19 deaths yesterday, 1001 to be exact. This is the first time we had more than 1k in a while. The 7 day average is rising, now around 760/day.

Meanwhile ODD things are going on, between Trump hijacking the metrics from CDC, the Georgia governor Kemp disallowing locally-tuned mask rules, and the inexplicable screwups in data reporting by a few (but important) Florida labs. If these labs were in liberal states one might suggest they were monkeying with the data intentionally to hype the positivity rate, but these were a mix of labs with no obvious agenda. Meanwhile the Republican machine continues to denigrate the top expert in the US.

My suspicious nature leads me to believe this is part of a campaign to undermine confidence in the system, which plays into Trump's narrative...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Begging the question snowflake?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
About the McEnany statement: "The science should not stand in the way of this."
4. She absolutely said it; I've watched the full briefing segment from multiple sources. Here it is but most major sources have the same timeframe clip: LINK
I'm glad you posted the link to the video because anybody who takes the time to listen to it and also has a rudimentary understanding of the English language will realize that it's a full court press by the media to misrepresent what she said. A more accurate summary of what she said is:

The science should not stand in the way of this, because it is supported by the science.

Some may want to argue what the science actually says. That's a different subject from the blatant lying about the meaning of her words.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I was just going to post exactly that. The science should not stand in the way of opening schools BECAUSE the science actually supports it. That may be too subtle for some, but it is, indeed, a true statement.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Meanwhile, DHL Customer Service has extended wait times and playing "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" as the background music while waiting for a representative. This is depressing. International Shipment Experts my ass. Ahem, so-called "first world" problems

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Sweet, so when are we making in America again? :rofl:

Just got a notification from America's favorite B&M Store, Wally-world, stating that masks will be required starting July 20. :rofl:
Why not make that policy effective immediately?! If we can make our own masks using Stormy Daniel's Bras, why can't we implement this policy immediately?! :angry:

Are we really that spoiled that it requires a "long latency" to act?

What will make us more reactive?

This,

or

This,

Get back to work America!
This virus is like a tropical storm. In other words, Stormy Daniels

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know what to think about what the "science" supports. We're bombarded with polar-opposite "facts" from "experts", phony case and death counts, studies of hydroxychlorquine rigged to fail, and so forth. My own opinion is that there are so many interactions over a long period of time that nobody can know what the best approach to take is. One day the Sweden approach of letting covid run its course looks brilliant, another day it looks incompetent. Besides direct covid illness and deaths, there's the collateral damage from what we do to manage the direct illness and death. Which is the least of evils? I don't think any of the experts are able to know. What I do know is that like so many other things, the "science" has been politicized. The dems are screaming that Trump won't impose a national mask mandate. If he had, I bet they'd be screaming how he overstepped his authority. The repubs have their own politicization schemes, too, it's just that what the dems and MSM do is much more obvious and easy to see. The prime directive is to get Trump, and everything possible is warped toward achieving that end. The most concise explanation I saw was on another forum:

Captain Kirk: Bones, when do you think covid will end?

McCoy: Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a politician!

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
We can see the level of maturity. Additionally, later on she also said that multiple scientific studies support the idea of opening schools and also cited the success of our European "peers' doing exactly that. Selective memory seems to be the order of the media with things any more.
We have no peers; no other similar country has botched the pandemic badly enough to be considered our peer. They are all one to two orders of magnitude fewer infections per capita. Because of this, scientific studies supporting opening schools in other countries can't be used to draw direct parallels to us. The CDC said what we needed to do it properly; Trump said it was to hard, too expensive. OK, fine. Now he's blocking CDC representatives from testifying to Congress, because they would say just how looney he must be.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
About the McEnany statement: "The science should not stand in the way of this."

I'm glad you posted the link to the video because anybody who takes the time to listen to it and also has a rudimentary understanding of the English language will realize that it's a full court press by the media to misrepresent what she said. A more accurate summary of what she said is:

The science should not stand in the way of this, because it is supported by the science.

Some may want to argue what the science actually says. That's a different subject from the blatant lying about the meaning of her words.
This would make sense if she didn't cite cherry picked facts from a report that actually states exactly the opposite from what Trump is trying to promulgate. Given the situation on the ground and the limitations (space, funding, personnel) in our schools, it would be very difficult to meet the CDC or JAMA requirements for most schools. Some could do it for sure (and, I support opening when the science suggests it makes sense). Right now for most schools, nope!

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know what to think about what the "science" supports. We're bombarded with polar-opposite "facts" from "experts", phony case and death counts, studies of hydroxychlorquine rigged to fail, and so forth. My own opinion is that there are so many interactions over a long period of time that nobody can know what the best approach to take is. One day the Sweden approach of letting covid run its course looks brilliant, another day it looks incompetent. Besides direct covid illness and deaths, there's the collateral damage from what we do to manage the direct illness and death. Which is the least of evils? I don't think any of the experts are able to know. What I do know is that like so many other things, the "science" has been politicized. The dems are screaming that Trump won't impose a national mask mandate. If he had, I bet they'd be screaming how he overstepped his authority. The repubs have their own politicization schemes, too, it's just that what the dems and MSM do is much more obvious and easy to see. The prime directive is to get Trump, and everything possible is warped toward achieving that end. The most concise explanation I saw was on another forum:

Captain Kirk: Bones, when do you think covid will end?

McCoy: Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a politician!
Best post of the day. I congratulate you!

BobRegnar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Despite the panic, this is still the USA. Fear can't be the determining factor any more than politics in what's best for anyone. We still have the inalienable rights declared to the mad king (George III not the GoT guy) and the world, and a Constitution restricting the government's ability to limit them.

I remember the "just give us fifteen days" in mid-March. That was to give the government time to determine the best course of action. They didn't. If folks think the best course of action is for government sanctioned "professionals" to make every decision of your life for you, good luck to you, but I don't want any part of it.

And I don't buy the mandatory mask thing. I know how to cover a cough and a sneeze. A cloth mask won't filter out this virus. It also makes it harder to breathe and accumulates exhaled co2 which dilutes the o2 inhaled. Besides does anyone think these mandatory masks are all cleaned often and properly? Maybe mandatory helmets to protect from falling objects, too.

Masks do push the panic though and help to keep things closed down, so there's that.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And I don't buy the mandatory mask thing. I know how to cover a cough and a sneeze. A cloth mask won't filter out this virus. It also makes it harder to breathe and accumulates exhaled co2 which dilutes the o2 inhaled. Besides does anyone think these mandatory masks are all cleaned often and properly? Maybe mandatory helmets to protect from falling objects, too.

Masks do push the panic though and help to keep things closed down, so there's that.
HI @BobRegnar

Re; Masks

1) The Data and Science are perfectly clear on masks being useful. People in the USA knew that in 1918... it is really not a hard concept to repeat tests on to prove.

A LOT of hard working people who care have put in tons of work on this topic. Medical people, Data Scientists, etc... volunteered their time as they want the US economy and the health of people to do better.

The US media, elected 'leaders', government officials, .. all got it wrong at the start.. WHO helped the pandemic spread ... it is all well documented.

Do not let masks be a political issue. It really is not and should not be.

2) Re Masks make it harder to breathe....

1595054258984.png

3) The reason mask wearing has to be mandatory is due to folks like you who wish to refuse to wear them when indoors in public places. Had more US folks used some sort of masks early on, our economy would be in far better condition.

Wear a mask when required.

Does it infringe on your rights? Sure, as do having to wear pants when on a public bus... but I'm OK with that - and you're not likely to find someone more pro-bill of rights than I in most online forums.

Seriously, this is an airborne bugger.. and it needs to be controlled at the source, which was Wuhan at one point, and it is basically just about any person in the world mouths ( and other spots on a person.. yeah, I think people should keep wearing pants... )

4) if you really care to learn about this topic then here's your resource:

If you're unhappy about this.. just go back to the source of the outbreak.. and ask why it was not better managed and controlled there.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
In the USA, we're immune to everything right? Not :facepalm:

Despite the panic, this is still the USA. Fear can't be the determining factor any more than politics in what's best for anyone. We still have the inalienable rights declared to the mad king (George III not the GoT guy) and the world, and a Constitution restricting the government's ability to limit them.

I remember the "just give us fifteen days" in mid-March. That was to give the government time to determine the best course of action. They didn't. If folks think the best course of action is for government sanctioned "professionals" to make every decision of your life for you, good luck to you, but I don't want any part of it.